•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Right size Lens for the job

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DavidJmcc

DavidJmcc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northumberland

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:39 AM

Hi to everyone, I'm a older man who use to use a 4" telescope 40 years ago. After a busy life of work I now find myself back doing what I enjoy, so I brought myself a Celestron 8" SE and yes everything has moved on in leaps an bounds. Because this is and can be an expensive hobby I want to get it right first time, I would like someone to point in the right direction with eye pierces please. My interests are with Star Clusters, Nebular and Galaxy's. I am asking anyone for help, I need help in choosing lens and if so can I have some suggestions.       

Edited by DavidJmcc, 07 April 2020 - 02:48 PM.

#2 dan_h

dan_h

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

Hi DavidJmcc and welcome to Cloudy Nights. You will find folks here can be incredibly helpful and more than willing to share their knowledge.  

You have posted your question in a forum that is dedicated to amateur telescope making and DIY projects. You will get better responses if you ask in the "Eyepieces" forum which you can find just a little further down in the forums lists.   You could ask a moderator to move your thread to that forum.  If you browse around down there or do a topic search you may find lots of discussions that will help you in your quest. 

Welcome and Clear Skies to you!

dan

#3 MitchAlsup

MitchAlsup

Skylab

• -----

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hi to everyone, I'm a older man who use to use a 4" telescope 40 years ago. After a busy life of work I now find myself back doing what I enjoy, so I brought myself a Celestron 8" SE and yes everything has moved on in leaps an bounds. Because this is and can be an expensive hobby I want to get it right first time, I would like someone to point in the right direction with eye pierces please. My interests are with Star Clusters, Nebular and Galaxy's. I am asking anyone for help, I need help in choosing lens and if so can I have some suggestions.       

You are going to want a low power wide FoV EP for the C8. Options {41 PanOptic, 35 PanOptic, 31 Nagler T5}

You are going to want a medium power EP and the options here are endless. Something in the 17mm-25mm range 65º-100º FoV range.

You are going to want a medium high power EP. Something in the 10mm-15mm range 65º-100º FoV range.

You are going to want a planetary EP. I found with my C11, that 7mm is too high a power for most nights, 9mm is useful most nights, and 11mm was useful in even poor nights. 65º-100º FoV range.

#4 JOhio

JOhio

Lift Off

• Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:47 PM

Al sums it up nicely:  http://www.televue.c...rn=Advice&id=97

Depending on your budget could look at used. Also depends if you are staying with the 1.25 inch nose piece or switching out to 2 inch back. If budget is an issue could also look at the used ES 68 and 82 series equivalents. Not as good as the Tele Vue line but decent for the money

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

I'll suggest you decide for yourself or at the very least check out what others suggest before you buy. 

Start by downloading and installing the free program Stellarium:  https://stellarium.org/

It is a great tool to help you both find and visualize deep sky objects.  One of the things you can do in Stellarium is to configure it to your equipment...your C8 and your eyepieces.  It is done under configure/plugins.  Go to a reputable dealer like Astronomics and look through the list of eyepieces they sell and you can afford.  Look for the focal lengths and field of view and enter those into Stellarium.

Once you've done that searching for a DSO like M13 will get it centered on the screen.  From there you can cycle through your eyepieces to see with the field of view is for the scope/eyepiece combination. 

Your scope will probably take 1.25" eyepieces although you can add an adapter for 2".  If budget is a concern look at the AstroTech Paradigm eyepieces from Astronomics.  I've got a few and I'm happy with them.

#6 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:22 PM

A lot of good eyepiece recommendations will come your way. I.E. Tele Vue, Pentax, etc.

When observing with friends 8" SCT during the pre-corona virus era, an eyepiece that really knocked me out was an APM 30mm. like the one shown here:  https://www.eyepiece..._p/17102030.htm

Great star colors and very sharp over the n entire field of view. 

#7 DavidJmcc

DavidJmcc

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northumberland

Posted 19 April 2020 - 02:33 AM

Thanks everyone foe your help and advice, buy the was I have the celestron 2" Diagonal fitter and not the 1.25". I going to look into some of these lens give here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics