•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another Moon Shot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:45 AM

The moon was shining so bright the other night that I decided to take another crack at it. I used an 8" Meade LX200 with 0.8x FF/FR and my Canon 600D, triggered with an intervalometer. ISO100, 1/200 second exposure.

I shot 350 RAWs, refocusing every 50 images. I haven't been getting along well with either AS!3 or Lynkeos, but my alternate work-around is to bring the RAW files into Nebulosity4, debayer and automatic alignment, grade quality, then stack the best images. It turns out that one set of 50 frames was badly focused, so I tossed those and stacked the remaining 300 frames.

I pulled the stack into GIMP for deconvolution and wavelet sharpening, adjusted some curves and saturation, and that's about it. This is the first lunar image I'm actually pretty happy with... Learning how to do deconvolution in GIMP really made a huge difference in image quality.

Comments and critique welcome, and please check on the astrobin version for full resolution!

https://www.astrobin...0/?nc=FrostByte

luna_waxing_4-4-20.jpg

• Starman27, marsbase, Gipht and 6 others like this

#2 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:51 AM

I like the processing. Very moody. Nice shot!

#3 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 07 April 2020 - 11:53 AM

That is a beautiful image.  mpaul73 beat me to the punch to say "moody", but really the tone and color are spot on. Great dynamic range as well!

Steve

#4 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

Thanks! Good word, moody. lol.gif Luna must not be very happy about what's going on in her neighbor's house.

#5 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Ranger 4

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:02 PM

Fabulous Detail and contrast! Well done!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics