•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issues with setting up an iOptron Skyguider Pro with inbuilt iPolar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisH57

ChrisH57

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:08 PM

Dear all, I am reaching out to this community to see if anyone can help. About two months ago I purchased an iOptron Skyguider Pro with inbuilt iPolar and, despite numerous attempts, I have yet to get it working. I’d read various positive reports and reviews etc and considered it to be a good purchase. Being a ‘photographer’ rather than an ‘astronomer’, the iPolar facility seemed a good idea. Being exclusively a Mac user, I confirmed with the vendor prior to purchase, that it would work with a Mac, which they said it would.

The unit arrived and I unpacked it. I spent a lot of time reading and re-reading the manuals, I was however surprised there wasn’t a specific manual for this model ie the iOptron Skyguider Pro with inbuilt iPolar, rather documents covering the iOptron Skyguider Pro and then a separate one for the iPolar. I was also very surprised that there was an additional charge of £10 to purchase the software needed to run the device.  The black plastic cover on one of the Azimuth adjusting knobs was also cracked and eventually has broken off.

The problem I’m having is that whilst I can set it up pointing it at the north pole star the correct latitudes and longitude settings added I take a dark frame etc and I can get the orange disk on the screen, I never get to see the cross despite what ever I do. I’ve gone through the iPolar alignment process ‘clear centre on camera’ and ‘input centre of camera etc’ when I confirm position 1 the software always crashes. The LED on the top of the unit against the ‘s’ is not illuminated indicating it is correctly set up of the Northern hemisphere. Permissions are correctly set on the Mac regarding the dark frame image.

I’ve been dealing directly with iOptron over this and have sent them numerous crash logs and screen grabs etc and they have no current solution. The laptop is a high spec Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.4 on an i7 with 16GB memory and iOptron’s IPolar software version 1.10.

I accept the situation we are all currently facing and shut downs because of Covid-19 and I’m grateful that the iOptron help desk is working, but I am disappointed that the unit doesn’t seem to function properly and in effect has become a very expensive door stop. The vendor is aware of this but not really able to help. I can see this dragging on for months with no solution.

I’d like to know if other have had similar problems? Is the unit really as good as the reviews suggest? Is anyone actually using it successfully with a Mac? Is it realistic to be able to set it up and actually use it for the purpose for which it was designed ie to track stars and thereby photograph them?

Thanks

Chris

• lollike likes this

#2 ThatsMyCoffee

ThatsMyCoffee

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:56 AM

Please see my reply in the other message thread.

Edited by ThatsMyCoffee, 10 April 2020 - 11:57 AM.

#3 lollike

lollike

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:11 PM

I have exactly the same experience as @ChrisH57...

I wanted to subsequently buy the AsiAir Pro from Zwo too but I have now instead invested in the double priced Lacerta Megn 3 as I wouldn't dare buying any other software produced by Zwo (hardware yes but no software).

On top of paying for the app (much more than other app usually cost) which is free for Windows users it's rendering the hardware useless...!

After reatarting the software approximarely 90-100 time I've got it to work a few times and then it seems as good as promised (at least I have been able to photograph with 600mm for 3 mins with the polar aligmnet set with iPolar).

Just sad it takes a 100 tries when one has 10-15 clear nights a year...

Please post if you find a solution (I did try to delete an reinstall the application and it seemed to work ONCE)... 

:-(

Edited by lollike, 20 April 2020 - 04:11 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics