•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas pro bubble level question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:16 PM

Hi all, Unfortunately the bubble level on mine is not set correctly. I leveled the tripod accurately and placed the head. The level is reported as off. Where on the mount can i place a bubble level (bull's eye) to independently determine level of the head?

#2 Jeff L

Jeff L

Messenger

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:34 PM

Maybe compare the eyepiece tray to the top of your tripod. 

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:19 PM

+1

First: remember it is not critical for an equatorial mount to be perfectly level to achieve good polar alignment.  Level does; however, make getting good polar alignment easier.  Whenever I set up a tripod in the field, I simply put a carpenter's level across the spreader (yes, I do level my tripods, even with what I said...).  By placing your level "parallel" to a pair of legs, you can figure out which is higher than the other and quickly have your tripod adjusted and leveled after repeating that operation for each combination of two legs.

#4 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:50 PM

The bubble level on my atlas was WAY off. I level the tripod with a carpenters level before I attach the mount. I removed the original target level and glued another in its place once I had everything else level. 

Like mac said, it's not super critical, just get as close as you can.

#5 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:04 PM

while I understand that, is there any surfaces on the mount that a bubble level (bull's eye can be placed) that is, a flat surface

#6 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

This looks like the only flat spot I can see. Should be plenty of room for a turntable (record) level though. Id get the largest version for that size and in high contrast blue or green.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20200407-144254_Chrome-01.jpeg

#7 wargrafix

wargrafix

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:23 PM

I do have one. If the level on that surface does not match the level on the tripod, which to use?

#8 seasparky89

seasparky89

Ranger 4

• Loc: Springfield, VA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:14 AM

I use a 2-direction level on top of the tripod platform before installing the mount head.  I carefully orientate the mount so that the mount post is facing true north, and then I level the tripod.  Then I install the mount head.  This method has served me very well for more than 15 years.

Stan

#9 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

On my HEQ5-Pro that never had a bubble level, I glued a Craftsman bulls eye upside down, underneath the mount. I then got a small cosmetic mirror from my wife and used that to see the level and it worked extremely well. I still have my HEQ5-Pro and that's how I still level it. 

Mounting the level to the accessory tray is a no - no. That tray can easily tilt when tightening up the legs..enough to throw it off the level again!

• biz likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics