•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star pointer on Celeston 130slt way off..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattmanire

mattmanire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:36 PM

Just got this telescope..but no way will it align..even with the knobs (up down // left right).

See picture. Its way off as in least an inch. Am I doing something stupid? I have it aligned now, kind of as you can see. But surly must be better solution?

Thanks.

Matt (complete noob on telescopes).

Edit.*..I do know its meant to be in the slot and tightened in. But its just so off, like I said, there is no way it will align in that original slot.

I have cardboard underneath it to align it and tape, as you can see.

Attached Thumbnails

• eyepiece.jpg

Edited by mattmanire, 07 April 2020 - 12:39 PM.

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:54 PM

Matt:

First let me say Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.  And congratulations on your scope.. 

That certainly is a creative solution but I am assuming you would like something a little cleaner.

With the finder in it's normal slot, which way is it out?  Up and down or left and right?  

How far is it out?  Is it pretty close or a long ways?  I have had problems with similar finders. On the same scope, a better red dot can be aligned but these cannot.

Jon

• mattmanire likes this

#3 jeffreym

jeffreym

Mariner 2

• Loc: La Crosse, WI

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

I see you have it just sitting on the optical tube and not mounted in the finder shoe.

I find it a common problem with red dot finders that there isn't quite enough adjustment in the two knobs sometimes. 

If you can reach the nuts on the underside of the shoe you can try to loosen the mounting screw and pivot the shoe a little (my wife's hand will fit past the spider but mine will not).

Additionally, there should be enough room in the shoe to add some shim materials (layers of tape?) to over correct the shoe alignment so the adjusting screws will work.

If you need a more serious adjustment, you can shave some plastic off the foot of the finder.  You can also shim the shoe.

However you do it, you will want to ultimately use the finder shoe.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff

Edited by jeffreym, 07 April 2020 - 01:01 PM.

• mattmanire likes this

#4 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 07 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

It might be that the reflex/red dot finder sight is damaged in some way. I have a bucketful of these plastic RDF sights and at least a fifth of them have some fault with the X or Y axis controls. It might be worth getting a better reflex sight. 

med_gallery_249298_5348_450525.jpg

These are far more robust, although more expensive. The Aomekie on the left only cost me about 24 quid (about 30 USD) although I already had the TS Optics leg for it.

gallery_249298_5348_28404.jpg

The Orion EZ II above was a replacement for a borked reflex similar to the ones below it.

med_gallery_249298_5348_97298.jpg

The Celestron Starpointer above is pretty well made, the LED is more variable and it has a reticule rather than a dot not unlike a Rigel finder. 

med_gallery_249298_5348_198158.jpg

The Rigel is quite good, although its reticule is not easy to see in twilight, not unlike the Starpointer. Although the Rigel reticule pulses if you want and the pulse speed can be varied.

gallery_249298_5348_43823.jpg

You can see the Rigel here fixed to the top of my 102mm Mak. Rigel finders come with a shoe that can be stuck to the OTA.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 07 April 2020 - 01:02 PM.

• jeffreym and mattmanire like this

#5 mattmanire

mattmanire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:01 PM

I see you have it just sitting on the optical tube and not mounted in the finder shoe.

I find it a common problem with red dot finders that there isn't quite enough adjustment in the two knobs sometimes. 

If you can reach the nuts on the underside of the shoe you can try to loosen the mounting screw and pivot the shoe a little (my wife's hand will fit past the spider but mine will not).

Additionally, there should be enough room in the shoe to add some shim materials (layers of tape?) to over correct the shoe alignment so the adjusting screws will work.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff

Thanks so  much everyone for your replies !!

I think ill try this approach first. Great idea. Adjust from the inside out , kinda !! Thanks Jeff.

Matt.

#6 mattmanire

mattmanire

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Matt:

First let me say Hello and welcome.gif to Cloudy Nights.  And congratulations on your scope.. 

That certainly is a creative solution but I am assuming you would like something a little cleaner.

With the finder in it's normal slot, which way is it out?  Up and down or left and right?  

How far is it out?  Is it pretty close or a long ways?  I have had problems with similar finders. On the same scope, a better red dot can be aligned but these cannot.

Jon

Thanks hello Jon.

oh, when its in the slot, its off every way. Way to high and way to the left. Like least an inch.

Longs way out Jon. Well at least its not just me being stupid!! lol. Ill try Jeffs solution 1st.

Terrible to say I bought the scope about 6 years ago and just never got the time to use it. I think I set it up and looked at the moon, cause the site was just so off, and I had no idea what I was doing, and on

top of that it was soooo cold that night!! Unfortunately due to the feckin virus, I have lots free time! Least something good came of it!! Stay safe everyone.

The moon is closest to earth I'm told on the news, so that's something to check out tonight.  (perigee =close -- apogee = far?! -- Ill get it!!).

Thanks again. Matt.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics