•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OPT exclusive WO NightCat 51

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ac2aj

Ac2aj

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 01:40 PM

Anyone see the new NightCat 51 on OPTs home page. Looks like they made it for OPT. Looks pretty cool but I still can’t see paying that much for a 51mm Apo.

https://optcorp.com/...opt-nightcat-51

Brian

Edited by Ac2aj, 07 April 2020 - 01:41 PM.

#2 MortonH

MortonH

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

Still says Redcat on the lens cell!

#3 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:32 PM

Anyone see the new NightCat 51 on OPTs home page. Looks like they made it for OPT. Looks pretty cool but I still can’t see paying that much for a 51mm Apo.

Brian

I use a RedCat v2 visually which I bought for that price. At just 250mm it is a startlingly good sweeper with an intrinsic, flat field. It's also as grab and go ans it gets. For most owners it is an adjunct to a coterie of other telescopes, but I can think of times in my early life where if such a thing existed then, it could have performed as my only astro scope at intervals. Net, I don't think it is priced inappropriately for what it is, enables and does. Or put another way, more than aperture determines value.

Phil

#4 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

Brian

Think of it more as a 250mm 4 element camera lens without all the extra stuff needed for auto focus. By design it should be very sharp.

#5 kkt

kkt

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

Buy two and make binoculars.

• OldManSky likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Skylab

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

I pre-ordered one.

For the free t-shirt, of course :)

• John O'Grady, kkt and gusser like this

#7 wilbkr1

wilbkr1

Lift Off

• Loc: Whiteland, IN

Posted 05 August 2020 - 01:38 PM

Well,  I per-ordered,  then notified that the shipment was not going to arrive in June but to expect it in August.  Called OPT today to verify it was still scheduled to deliver in August.  Response...  Not sure!  But we may still get it from the manufacturer.  Was told I needed to contact Support as the representative was in the sales department.  I explained that I tried to contact support without any reply,  was told they are way behind and it may take 2 - 3 days to get back to me.

I really am tired of companies using COVID as the reason for not knowing what's happening in their business.  Have no problem waiting,  but would be nice if the company could keep the customer informed.

But hey!  It's not their money they're using...  It's mine!

Rant off! smile.gif

Edited by wilbkr1, 05 August 2020 - 01:39 PM.

• gusser likes this

#8 gusser

gusser

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Canterbury, CT

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:20 AM

3 months later, I'm in the same boat.  No shipping updates.  OPT has my $.  My sales rep has forgotten about me.  We are approaching prime AP weather for us here in the Northeast.  Cool nights, no more bugs, and lately, excellent skies for viewing and AP. 

I'm dying to try my modified Canon 4Ti dslr, which I purchased specifically to use with the WO OPT special editon Nightcat 51.  I too am a bit weary of pandemic excuses, but I guess the special adition NC would have been a rare bird even without the pandemic.  So I guess we keep waiting and hope the big brown truck brings us our Petval scopes soon.  Until then, I will occupy myself during this latest covid lockdown by giving VR Pc gaming a go after a 20 Hiatus.

As Lift off says... Rant off!  grin.gif

stay safe.

clear skies

Edited by gusser, 21 November 2020 - 11:21 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics