•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

mars meteorite?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hi everyone, i have found an unusual and very heavy rock wich has an oriented shape. Here is a picture of the matrix, could it be an weatherd mars meteorite?? If anyone knows wich rocktype it is or if it could martian. Love to hear it, it's all a learing curve.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01893.JPG
  • DSC01910.JPG

#2 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

• Loc: CNY

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

No. It's not a martian meteorite, nor any other type of meteorite. It is a worn and weathered terrestrial rock. 

Lee

• mark8888 likes this

#3 slepage

slepage

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

Looks like a Leaverite to me.  in other words, probably should have left it right where you found it.

Edited by slepage, 07 April 2020 - 03:04 PM.

• mark8888, wrnchhead and Barlowbill like this

#4 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:32 AM

No. It's not a martian meteorite, nor any other type of meteorite. It is a worn and weathered terrestrial rock. 

Lee

Oke i understand. Here is a closeup of the stone matrix. maybe you what rock it could be?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC01919.JPG

#5 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:13 AM

Try comparing it to the images here:  

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=715

It's difficult to tell between two pictures, but having your actual specimen in hand and comparing it to other images is more likely to produce results.

Lee

#6 slepage

slepage

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:46 AM

Looks a lot like a granite composite with some iron intrusion. Just out of curiosity, why do you think it might be a meteorite from Mars?

#7 stonesnuffer

stonesnuffer

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

Try comparing it to the images here:  

https://www.google.c...iw=1440&bih=715

It's difficult to tell between two pictures, but having your actual specimen in hand and comparing it to other images is more likely to produce results.

Lee

Yes indentifying rocks in general in not easy and i have been rockhunting since i was 10 years old. I have asked a rock exepert here what he think it can be. But the rock feels way heavier than a earth rock like diabase or granite and the matrix is pretty complex and i now all the rock types inthat area and you don't find alot of odd rocks there so this one stood out and it is the color that made me think it could mars. I will keep it just in case they find a similar rock in northwest africa and then you know for sure.

#8 lee14

lee14

Viking 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:04 PM

I would suggest trying a more productive approach and apply the four basic steps of the scientific method. A similarity in color as a basis for a jump to an extreme conclusion is counterproductive, to say the least.

Lee

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics