•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M3 under a bright moon- C14 & QHY168C

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

The moon was quite bright last night with the sky quite clear for my region.

I previously imaged M3 with the RASA but that had a lot of cropping. I decided that with the extra image scale of the C14 at F7.7 but a far tighter crop the image could have potential.

I used 30 second subs through the Astronomik LPR filter and 10 second 4x4 bin guiding on the ultrastar.

The integration is 800 30 second subs.

As always- let me know what you think.

Best wishes

Mark.....clear skies to you all.

M3_RGB_WEB.jpg

• astrovienna, dmdouglass, elmiko and 9 others like this

#2 slepage

slepage

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:14 PM

Looks really great and excellent resolution.  How do you manage 800 subs when it comes time to calibrate, align and stack?  I don't think I could open that many images at one time.  What is the file size of one of the subs?  Thanks.

Steve

• pyrasanth likes this

#3 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

M3 is one of the jewels in the sky and you polished this gem well, very well. It is especially nice when the center of the cluster is resolved as is yours.

• pyrasanth likes this

#4 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

Good resolution, and the core is not overexposed, you can actually see stars across the whole core.  Good job!  waytogo.gif

• pyrasanth likes this

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:30 PM

Looks really great and excellent resolution.  How do you manage 800 subs when it comes time to calibrate, align and stack?  I don't think I could open that many images at one time.  What is the file size of one of the subs?  Thanks.

Steve

Thank you for your kind comments. Each of the subs is 192 MB when debayered & you can easily double that space for post processing tasks like cosmetic correction & duplication of registered & calibrated subs. I recently built a monster of a computer which has 48 logical cores & 128 GB of RAM. This project of 800 subs took 12 hours to process & stack and consumed a total space on the hard drive of just over 420 GB but I have in excess of 30 TB of storage available so ultimately I just keep the RAW subs & the PI project.

#6 slepage

slepage

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 07 April 2020 - 05:41 PM

Thank you for your kind comments. Each of the subs is 192 MB when debayered & you can easily double that space for post processing tasks like cosmetic correction & duplication of registered & calibrated subs. I recently built a monster of a computer which has 48 logical cores & 128 GB of RAM. This project of 800 subs took 12 hours to process & stack and consumed a total space on the hard drive of just over 420 GB but I have in excess of 30 TB of storage available so ultimately I just keep the RAW subs & the PI project.

Holly Cowbow.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics