•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Losmandy HD Tripod question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:18 PM

Does the riser, the part the mount is attached to, separate from the tripod?

Thanks,

-Bob

#2 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

Yes it unbolts. Allens as I remember.

Bruce

#3 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:48 PM

Does the riser, the part the mount is attached to, separate from the tripod?

Thanks,

-Bob

Depends whether you have a newer one or an older one.  I have the older model and the tube (riser as you call it) where the mount attaches has three short 'legs' or stubs (permanently welded on) which stick out about 6" to which you attach the legs.  The leg openings go over the short  stubs and are held on by ring clamps.. Very sturdy and durable tripod  but the separated parts don't pack very nicely in the car....

On the newer models I believe the long legs can fold in rather than having to detach them...The 'riser' and legs are all one assembly...

Dave

• mtminnesota likes this

#4 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:38 PM

It will be a new one. I recently purchased a G11 PMC-Eight from Explore Scientific.

It will supplement a self-hypertuned CG5-ASGT. I am in the process of constructing a pier in my back yard. My pier plate and extension are CG5 based and I am hoping that base will detach from the tripod and I can use it for the CG11.

If not, I'll have to pick up an MA Adapter and work with that to put the G11 on the pier.

Thanks for the replies!

-Bob

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:44 PM

I looked at this photo:

http://www.losmandy.com/images/FT.jpg

It looks like the new folding HD tripod has an MA you can unbolt and use on your permanent pier.  That makes sense, it "recycles" a part Losmandy already has templates for, rather than reinventing the wheel.  A call to Losmandy would confirm this, if you are impatient.

Cotts is right about the old style HD tripod.  You wouldn't be able to use the top section of that on a permanent pier.  You'd have to buy an MA.  

#6 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:40 PM

Received the Explore Scientific G11 PMC-Eight with the HD tripod today.

The riser does separate from the tripod. There are 6 allen head bolts securing it to the tripod. It looks like I'll have to drill a hole for the alignment pin on the pier extension. The pin on the extension is removable, but I would like to keep it in order to help align the riser on the extension.

Eventually the pier adapter, pier extension and Losmandy riser will live on the pier I plan on installing in my back yard. I will then just carry the G11 out and put it on the pier. Once I get everything together I will post up some pics.

-Bob

#7 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 30 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

I can give you a birds eye view of mine. I got it the beginning of February.

Losmandy 3w

My currant configuration. (Probably stay with this because it works so well for me.)

Tripod To extension close Up W
(Most recent configuration)

The MA is not really meant to be removed routinely.

In the above picture, see the black Button-head Allan Head screws used to assembly the parts.

Now, note the shiny Button-head Allan Head Screws. Those are to take the sections apart. They are in a Bayonet type slot.

In the lower picture, the TKS knobs replaced the SS 3/8" Button-head screws

I wanted a Portable Pier configuration. So I got the HD tripod, and a 12" extension for mine. The original 4" high Mount, works with my 12" extension, and the G-11 RA section. So the total rise above the tripod head = 16"

Because of the way Scott Losmandy designed his mounts, re-configuring is possible to make the entire mount work for you, and not you around the mount. 

Losmandy 1w

I got the 3 TKS knob screws to use where the 12" meets the tripods 4", because I pack my mount out, then back in every night for use. So what I've done, it make mine into 4 "Chunks".
1. The telescope being one.
2. Then the Dec head separates from the RA, via an accessory part made for that. Called an RA extension, it allows me to remove the Dec head, weight and all, and carry it inside.
3. Then the 12" extension with the RA head attached is chunk 3.
4. And last is the HD tripod.

But the point is, it is a very adaptable mount system that can be configured to your ideals.
I have never extended the legs on my HD tripod. Never felt the need to. As Portable Piers go, I really love the configuration options I have with my choices.

HTH (Hope That Helps)
And please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions you think of that I might be able to help with.

• ryanr256 likes this

#8 nicedoggie

nicedoggie

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Chester, Vermont

Posted 16 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

BTW, does anyone know the hex size for the button head screws at top of tripod? Am about to switch gm8 to g11 and none of mine fit - metric or imperial.

#9 elinchrom

elinchrom

Sputnik

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:08 PM

BTW, does anyone know the hex size for the button head screws at top of tripod? Am about to switch gm8 to g11 and none of mine fit - metric or imperial.

The hex size of button head bolt around the base should be 7/32.

#10 ryanr256

ryanr256

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

The silver screws that attach the riser to the tripod are 3/16. The black ones around the perimeter of the riser are 7/32.

-Bob

Edited by ryanr256, 16 May 2020 - 12:49 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics