•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Set it up, tear it down, set it up......

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:41 PM

I just finished installing the C11, Astrotech 65mm and the Orion Starshoot all on the Mach 1 in the observatory.  All balanced, wiring for power, dew heaters etc. ready to go.

In normal years I would go to 3 or 4 or even 5  star parties.  For each one it would be;  tear down the obsy installation, set it up at the star party, tear it back down at the end of the star party and set it all back up in the obsy. Lots of work!!!

But this year isn't normal.  The equipment will stay right there in the observatory all summer. 

My 'local' star party, Starfest, in August, hosted by my club, may go on as planned.  But I doubt it.  If it does I will take the 12.5" dob for some visual.  Leave the complicated set-up in the obsy...

In September will be Okie Tex.  Maybe..  If this star party is on I will tear down the stuff in the obsy and take it all there for some AP and visual with the 65mm and the 11" just as if I were in the observatory....  When I get home this gear will all be put away and I'll do visual with the 12.5" until it is too cold... 

Dave

• John O'Grady, Allan Wade, GalaxyPiper and 2 others like this

#2 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 07 April 2020 - 03:58 PM

I set up, tear down, every night.

Since getting a new mount, the CFO sez bring it in the house.

Now, I don't really mind having it sitting beside me in my man cave.

But, it is a lot of work for this old fart.

When is too cold, Dave?

When I lived in Wyoming that was mid-September to June.... shocked.gif wink.gif

• Chevy5759 likes this

#3 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:05 PM

Why not just specialize the observatory for what it is best for;

and use the star parties for complimentary viewing with other optics

That is what I did, most of the time.

question.gif

Edited by edwincjones, 07 April 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#4 bridgman

bridgman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:44 PM

My 'local' star party, Starfest, in August, hosted by my club, may go on as planned.  But I doubt it.  If it does I will take the 12.5" dob for some visual.  Leave the complicated set-up in the obsy...

... and operate it remotely from Starfest :)

#5 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

All my observing is remote from my home so I set up and tear down every time. The Starmaster teardown and pack up for the drive home in the wee hours can be a task but the observing's worth it all. For me it's just part of the hobby.

Plans are for increased mobility in the near term so that more and even better sites can be accessed. To that end my next Dob will be of smaller aperture so I don't quickly get to the point of saying I'm too old for this.

• Allan Wade likes this

#6 spereira

spereira

Vanguard

• ****-
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:54 AM

Moving over to Equipment, for a better fit.

smp

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:00 AM

The best part about star parties is the company of other astro-geeks like me.  

The worst part is the tear down/setup/tear down cycle, and packing, and forgetting one little cable, and arranging battery power, and...  yeah.  All that.

#8 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:14 AM

The weather doesn't allow for a setup many nights.

I consider it very good practice for now.  I build confidence with every build up/tear down.  However, handling the stuff constantly is also an opportunity for accidents, and I have had a couple of them.

Some weeks ago, the Rasa jumped out of the mount saddle while I was balancing it.  This would have been fatal for it except that I had my hand wrapped around the handle at the main mirror end.  So it swung in a downward arc, and bumped one of the mount handles, actually denting the OTA slightly.  Well, that dented me even worse.  Celestron says damage is likely cosmetic only.  Sigh.  I read accounts recently of another guy whose Rasa did hit the ground, breaking the correcter plate!  Celestron replaced the whole scope.

Another time, I stupidly tried to carry the tube with wires attached.  I won't be doing that again, one of the wires snagged and ripped the bare wires out of a camera plug, leaving just the plug in the camera.  No, I hadn't even had a beer!!

So I read about people's permanent setups with a bit of envy.  And when near the equipment, I am always thinking, "Caution!  Danger Will Robinson!"

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:58 PM

I consider it very good practice for now.  I build confidence with every build up/tear down.  However, handling the stuff constantly is also an opportunity for accidents, and I have had a couple of them.

Practice is good.  I am quite out of practice setting my traveling gear up since I completed my observatory (don't set up anymore) and my kids became teenagers (don't travel for astronomy for the time being).  I did set up my traveling gear when my son and one of his buddies came to my observatory.  What used to be a stream-lined forty minute process took an hour and was filled with stops and starts.  

No, I don't need to dismantle my observatory, I need to travel more. smile.gif

#10 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:52 PM

"tear down the obsy installation, set it up at the star party, tear it back down at the end of the star party and set it all back up in the obsy. Lots of work!!!"

I agree that putting your main telescope in an observatory is the way to go. I should have done this

--25 years ago.

• John O'Grady likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics