•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rubbermaid Big Max 7'x7' Roll Off Roof

observatory cassegrain Celestron DIY EAA SCT
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:00 PM

Nice job!

#27 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

• Loc: just outside of Toronto

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:26 PM

Nice build!   

#28 sunnyday

sunnyday

Voyager 1

• Loc: the Canadian nebula .

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:41 PM

very good idea, thanks.

#29 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

I especially like the idea of the "jacks" for the roof.  Do you figure you saved money or time or both by using a the vinyl shed?

I'm hoping to build an observatory over the summer this year, but I've been planning on going with the complete build from scratch.  Your build has me thinking about whether this is the right approach or not...

#30 canadiens

canadiens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:30 PM

Hi Tom, I was able to get the shed from home depot at an incredible price due to damage from a patio furniture set i had ordered. The  manager agreed to a price discount on the shed basically $500 off of the price. The jacking system allows me to set the shed right back down and it fits really good and no weather has intruded inside. Go forward with the plans for your shed and determine your comfort level and budget. In these times we are facing we realize sometimes what we plan may not be reality any more . So if you want that observatory of yours go ahead and plan and get it started. The amount of effort put into it initially will be rewarded as you enjoy the use of it in the years to come. I would not recommend this size of shed as it is really too small especially for a C14 and moving around inside I have to aware so I don't bump anything. It might be ok for smaller scopes and mounts but I live in a garden home with a tiny back yard anything bigger was out of the question, and I am only solo observing. Maybe I'll get back into broadcasting again but i'm hoping to get something newer than my old trusty Mallincam Extreme. Keeping everything set up, aligned and ready to observe is a great advantage as well as close down after an evenings observing session.I can be observing within 10 minutes of power up in my shed.

Mike

#31 tjay

tjay

Vanguard

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:06 PM

Hi Tom, I was able to get the shed from home depot at an incredible price due to damage from a patio furniture set i had ordered. The  manager agreed to a price discount on the shed basically $500 off of the price. The jacking system allows me to set the shed right back down and it fits really good and no weather has intruded inside. Go forward with the plans for your shed and determine your comfort level and budget. In these times we are facing we realize sometimes what we plan may not be reality any more . So if you want that observatory of yours go ahead and plan and get it started. The amount of effort put into it initially will be rewarded as you enjoy the use of it in the years to come. I would not recommend this size of shed as it is really too small especially for a C14 and moving around inside I have to aware so I don't bump anything. It might be ok for smaller scopes and mounts but I live in a garden home with a tiny back yard anything bigger was out of the question, and I am only solo observing. Maybe I'll get back into broadcasting again but i'm hoping to get something newer than my old trusty Mallincam Extreme. Keeping everything set up, aligned and ready to observe is a great advantage as well as close down after an evenings observing session.I can be observing within 10 minutes of power up in my shed.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I've got a C8, so my scope is lot smaller than your C14, and the fork mount takes up a lot less room, even with the wedge.  I was looking to do something around the 8' x 10' size, so I figured it would be about $1600 for a shed in that size.  I have figured out a rough cost for 8' x 10' built from scratch, but I wondered if a shed kit would make things easier/faster/cheaper.

I previously had a 10' x 10' that I had to get rid of when I split up my ex, so I definitely miss the ability to be observing quickly, and perhaps even more importantly, not needing to haul everything back into the house afterwards.

I'll be getting something done soon, somehow...

#32 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:38 PM

And if you aren't doing much visual, an offset pier can maximize your seating area. Not everyone's cuppa tea but another way to modify these plastic sheds.
Nick
https://www.cloudyni...nge-rubbermaid/

#33 canadiens

canadiens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

Hey Nick, that's an awesome setup and great efficient use of the space to suit all your needs. Its sharing of those ideas and how adaptable these sheds can be that make our hobby Great. I can almost bet you have made a fish hut before judging how tidy the build is including bench seating and the to die for flatscreen TV , Great job and clears skiessmile.gif

Mike

#34 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

Lol fish hut! I'm 6'4" and always been into getting maximum use out of small space.
Back in high school... 1990... our janitor was living in his fish hut on a frozen Iowa lake. His wife threw him out of their house. When she heard that he was doing this she let him move back in... after a few weeks.

#35 Joe in Gatineau

Joe in Gatineau

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gatineau Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

Very nice! Like your pier - looks very stable. 

Joe

#36 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:12 PM

Looks like all of the key points have been reinforced. Nice job.

#37 canadiens

canadiens

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2020 - 02:00 PM

This is a simple fix to keep my lock dry. In the past I had my lock freeze up on me but this has prevented frozen lock and has proven to be quite durable. It is simply a plastic container for screws that I was going to throw out when I realized my combination lock would fit inside it. It has lasted through the cold winter and exposure to the Sun whenever it is clear outside!!

Attached Thumbnails

• lock case small.jpg
  • lock _lock case small.jpg
  • locked lock case small.jpg

• 39.1N84.5W, tjay, l_stoian79 and 3 others like this

#38 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

Posted 14 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

Man that is genius.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observatory, cassegrain, Celestron, DIY, EAA, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics