•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

horible seeing or cam defect?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ***--
  • topic starter
  • Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:10 PM

this is an as3 image done with an asi 290mc and a 2x barlow its full res so i had to use as3 as2 just keeps saying out of memory. I had reasonable polar alignment colimation was spot onseeing was bad but not the worst ever. also it seems to be on a lot of images it seems blurry. i did not select cropped if i do and it gets breezy or the mount is not perfectly aligned i get halff the image if i select crop in as3. its the same process iv used on some of my best clavius captures yet

2020-04-05-0207_6-L-MoonAS_50495_2.jpg

• troyt and eros312 like this

#2 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:12 PM

cant re process i already ditched the file to make room

#3 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

heres another one without the blur but still not even close to what i normally get

Clavius.jpg

#4 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:28 PM

just for laughs here is a good one obviously

70650293_1388441644675433_3141662955188256768_n.jpg

#5 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:40 PM

It is usually bad seeing, poor focus, or poor collimation that causes my moon shots to blur. I am not sure how you can tell the difference by looking at the photos. I would guess it isn’t the camera. 

Edited by Jeffmar, 07 April 2020 - 06:42 PM.

#6 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 07 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

Joe, it's a shame you deleted the video, because what you are seeing is a stacking defect.  This is visible throughout the image, basically everywhere.  I highlighted three areas with arrows below, but if you look over your image, you see this everywhere.  Every feature has been duplicated and shifted.  It looks as though an image shift occurred during frame alignment, possibly due to a poor anchor point being chosen in AS!3.  This was then passed down through the stack.  The double image is causing the blur.  The real data looks like it was good, and would produce a nice result if it was stacked over again with different parameters. 

clavius.jpg

Edited by Tom Glenn, 07 April 2020 - 09:09 PM.

• Lacaille and moonwatching ferret like this

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Gemini

• ***--
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:42 AM

Joe, it's a shame you deleted the video, because what you are seeing is a stacking defect.  This is visible throughout the image, basically everywhere.  I highlighted three areas with arrows below, but if you look over your image, you see this everywhere.  Every feature has been duplicated and shifted.  It looks as though an image shift occurred during frame alignment, possibly due to a poor anchor point being chosen in AS!3.  This was then passed down through the stack.  The double image is causing the blur.  The real data looks like it was good, and would produce a nice result if it was stacked over again with different parameters. 

attachicon.gifclavius.jpg

ok thanks guys for the actual replies I do appreciate it. the moon did look great tonight although it was daposta be full it wasnt i did manage a bunch of good images even managed a cool crater with my 224 and a 2x barlow and adc corector

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics