•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upper DEC bearing NEQ6 stuck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheAviator

TheAviator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 07 April 2020 - 06:39 PM

Hi there,

I do have a problem with the upper DEC bearing at my NEQ6. I got my NEQ6 DEC apart to have it regreased and my upper bearing is completely stuck in the housing

of the DEC axis. How can I manage to get it out? I used WD40 to get the shaft/bearing contact less tight, but no success. As it is deep inside the housing I can't get it with my

water pump wrench...

Does anyone has any ideas?

Thanks,

TheAviator

Edited by TheAviator, 07 April 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#2 Stu Todd

Stu Todd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern New Zealand

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:36 PM

If I understand the part you're trying to access, I gently knocked it out from the bottom by using a wooden handled hammer on the bearing and tapped it out. 

As long as you knock it out evenly around the circumference of the bearing, you will be damage free. 

#3 TheAviator

TheAviator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:45 AM

I mean this bearing.

#4 Dunc

Dunc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manche, France

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:40 AM

Hi TheAviator,

My thought is that you shouldn't worry to much about damage unless you have already replaced the bearings with decent quality ones. I did. That is knacker the bearings getting them out which didn't matter as I was replacing them with SKFs. Drift out the old ones as described by Stu. And don't forget the worm bearings either for a bit of grease or replacement. The change of bearings made a lot of good difference to the slewing and tracking. Then I did a belt mod on my NEQ6 Pro a couple of years later which compounded the benefits. Major upgrades for little money.

Good luck getting the worm adjustment right when you reassemble! Took me a while and I'm still not 100% with it.

HTH

Duncan

#5 Dunc

Dunc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Manche, France

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:45 AM

Another thing, you should have removed the puck and top bit on the shaft and got the centre bit out, there should be air in the middle of that bearing before you try to remove it! Look up Astro-babys mount strip down guide. It's not linked on her site anymore as far as I can see but you can still access it by Google-ing it.

Edited by Dunc, 08 April 2020 - 02:46 AM.

#6 TheAviator

TheAviator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:53 AM

Thank you Dunc!

so you mean open the bearing remove interior and then I can somehow get grip on it to pull it out?

#7 TheAviator

TheAviator

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:12 AM

It worked beautifully, thank you all!!

I got it working smoothly now.

• Stu Todd likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics