•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starsense error can’t find telescope number.

mount Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 MickTaurus

MickTaurus

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:33 AM

Mick - the new Evolution MC firmware is not applicable to your SE mount.  If you were previously experiencing errors detecting the StarSense camera it is unlikely any firmware updates were involved in producing or fixing the error so you might want to watch for any unique cabling combinations (splitters, jacks in use, etc.) if the issue arises again. 

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Thanks for that Mike, I have the Aux Splitter when using SkyPortal WiFi Module with Starsense.

But I seem to get better alignments using the StarSense HC without Aux splitter.

I think you are correct that it's cabling, I just push the cable down on the mount when powering up.

Regards

Mick. 

#27 terrypaula

terrypaula

Mariner 2

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:54 AM

Thanks you answered all my questions even though the forum went off with another topic altogether..

#28 The_Fly

The_Fly

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:20 PM

Using a borrowed forkarm, I have been able to determine the problem is not in either my NexStar+ or StarSense hand controllers.  Is there a video or set of written instructions for the replacement of the motor control board?

Thanks.l

I have this identical problem on my 6 year old NexStar 8SE (which has been used a lot since I bought it). The problem happened when I changed to StarSense, so I assumed the problem was in the StarSense.  I performed the tests in your post and got 16/17 from the NexStar+ HC plugged into both the forkarm connector and the AUX port, so it would seem the problem is certainly in the motor control circuitry.  You mentioned a potential cable harness issue in your post.  Can you say a bit more about that?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

#29 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Author of The NexStar Users Guide

• Vendors

Posted 29 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

Using a borrowed forkarm, I have been able to determine the problem is not in either my NexStar+ or StarSense hand controllers.  Is there a video or set of written instructions for the replacement of the motor control board?

Thanks.l

Hi Jerry,

Not specifically for the 8SE but this article would help a bit:

https://www.nexstars.../N58Azimuth.htm

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
https://www.NexStarSite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mount, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics