•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Annual 2020 Star Party List updated with known cancellations shown

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 Pauls72

Pauls72

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: LaPorte, IN USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:07 AM

June 18th  – June 21st, 2020

Bootlegger Star Party
Green River State Wildlife Area, IL - seems to have taken place, could find little info

The State of Illinois did not allow groups of more than 10 people. So officially it was cancelled and pre-registration refunded.

However there was a gathering of amateur astronomers at the same place, same time and coordinated by the same people. You just had to pay your own individual camping fee to the state.

So call it whatever you like. wink.gif

Edited by Pauls72, 26 June 2020 - 08:49 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#27 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:56 PM

Annual Star Parties for 2020
Revised 6-22-20

October 12-18

Staunton River Star Party
Staunton River State Park, Virginia
http://www.chaosastro.org/starparty/ - info only on cancellation of the Spring event, no info found for the fall dates

According to a previous post regarding the spring SRSP, the fall dates are indeed October 12th to the 18th.

https://www.cloudyni...2#entry10046077

Edited by iam1ru12, 29 June 2020 - 08:57 PM.

• Augustus likes this

#28 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:08 PM

According to a previous post regarding the spring SRSP, the fall dates are indeed October 12th to the 18th.

https://www.cloudyni...2#entry10046077

I listed the dates, just no specifics about the event.

Barry

#29 iam1ru12

iam1ru12

Viking 1

• Loc: Raleigh/Durham, NC

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:12 PM

I listed the dates, just no specifics about the event.

Barry

Hopefully it will run even if at reduced capacity, w/o speakers or even food.

-Mike

• Augustus likes this

#30 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• topic starter
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:10 PM

Reviewing the last "updated list" I posted I see that we still have 9 star parties listed for this year with dates in the future that have not yet been cancelled.  (The rescheduled NEAF and fall Astronomy Day are not counted as part of the 9 star parties.)  Several months ago I would have felt pretty good about predicting that many of these could be held, especially those that typically have a registration near or below 100.  I am not so sure now.

In general people have slacked off in their precautions and numbers have headed north.  So how long before things pretty much get back to normal and amateur astronomers get back to holding meetings, engaging in outreach and attending star parties?  Who knows.  Maybe not for a good while.  A few months ago, 6 months seemed like a long time.  Not so much any more.

I think the larger events are in the most precarious position, even if possible, it may be a numbers game.  Some threshold numbers may be impossible given local executive orders.  In the case of the star party that I manage, the Deep South Star Gaze, we are planning on limiting attendance given the layout of bunks and bunkhouses.  We can possibly do as many as 50 given our bunkhouse arrangements, perhaps a little less, maybe a little more, dependent upon family members and/or friends being ok with bunking together in a confined space.  To that number we can add those that are tent camping or coming in an rv or camper.  Realistically though I think our upper attendance limit will be something like 75 including that group.  This is a far cry from the 135 to 150 we were used to seeing in the past.  However these are the cards that we have been dealt and we will have to play them.

Barry Simon

#31 Symui

Symui

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 37.9,-121.9 - Northern California

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

Barry,   thanks for starting and maintaining this list.  Here's another one. 

CalStar 2020

Fall: September 17th to 20th

Fall Calstar is still pending, awaiting final word from County Parks

https://calstar.observers.org/

Note, Spring CalStar, April 23rd to 26th was Cancelled.

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics