•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APM 150mm 90° SD bino

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#1 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

It is finally here !

Not at my home but at least a test example at APM

92219338 3684586061613897 2708873591989993472 O
Copyright: APM Telescopes

Jochen

• psandelle, Sergey Stern, ianatcn and 7 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:47 AM

Oooooh! drool.gif

• Beg likes this

#3 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:06 PM

Here the official announcement:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10098964

Jochen

• Astroman007 likes this

#4 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Could you remind me... does that take two-inch eyepieces? Buying pairs of two inchers... and a worthy elevator mount... and a way to just leave it outside (small dome?)... starting to add up. And my left eye has a big floater.   Tom

• CharlesStG and Astroman007 like this

#5 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:19 PM

Yes, it takes 2" eyepieces.

I did prapare this tripod for the 150/90:

IMG 7813

Maybe I will think about a dome later...

Jochen

Edited by ArsMachina, 08 April 2020 - 12:20 PM.

• Moravianus, psandelle, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#6 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:25 PM

$10K plus whatever extra stuff to make it ergo comfy to use. I could see that becoming $20K in a dedicated little hut. My skies are nice and dark and I hate dragging equipment in and out. This beautiful beast really wants a balanced yoke elevator mount with encoders permanently installed in a little dome or roll-off. Can't help but wonder whether my Night Vision Eyepieces could get in close enough to reach focus, direct to the GaAs photocathodes. I guess if the stock markets recover...

I can't afford it. Well, I shouldn't afford it. But $10K is actually... [Here, Tom decides on "displacement activity", grabs the siphon, and starts cleaning the fish tank...]    Tom

• Simon Alderman, Bob4BVM, oldmanrick and 1 other like this

#7 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:40 PM

$10K plus whatever extra stuff to make it ergo comfy to use. I could see that becoming $20K in a dedicated little hut. My skies are nice and dark and I hate dragging equipment in and out. This beautiful beast really wants a balanced yoke elevator mount with encoders permanently installed in a little dome or roll-off. Can't help but wonder whether my Night Vision Eyepieces could get in close enough to reach focus, direct to the GaAs photocathodes. I guess if the stock markets recover...

I can't afford it. Well, I shouldn't afford it. But $10K is actually... [Here, Tom decides on "displacement activity", grabs the siphon, and starts cleaning the fish tank...]    Tom

... and starts cleaning the fish tank.....

OK Tom, if I get your drift, I'll take the RB-16.  No room for the 36,  ...yet  :)

CS

Bob

#8 ArsMachina

ArsMachina

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:42 PM

I am waiting for this bino to arrive since four years and I am well prepared.

I do already have all 2" eyepiece pairs I do need from my last binoscope.

So I just need to build a fork for the tripod (the horizontal bearing is already finished) and I am done

Jochen

• psandelle and erin like this

#9 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 12:43 PM

I was knocked out of the game by my beady little 58mm interpupilary eyeballs! lol.gif

#10 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

I was knocked out of the game by my beady little 58mm interpupilary eyeballs! lol.gif

My eyes are designed for these binos... problem is the nose. Cosmetic surgery will add to the cost, unless I can provoke Igor into whacking it off in a fit of primal pent-up rage. I'd have to orchestrate it just right, so he doesn't go too far. Better ponder the details, before proceeding.  Tom, big eyes, big nose... big mouth

Concern: This reminds me of our casual discussions when redoubtable Al announced the Apollo !! Eyepiece. So now redoubtable Markus announces the 90o 150mm ED APO Binos. And the momentum starts to build... inexorably leading to my needing a second Apollo Eleven, and this binoscope ready, willing, able, and worthy of embracing them. [Here Tom returns to the aquarium to feed the fish, and ponder the Universe. If his wife finds out about this, she will most certainly see to it that Tom is feeding the fishes...]

Attached Thumbnails

• 98 Toms eye pupils IPD.jpg

• harbinjer, ianatcn, SMark and 4 others like this

#11 SMark

SMark

Aurora

• Loc: Clay County, AL USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:04 PM

My eyes are designed for these binos... problem is the nose. Cosmetic surgery will add to the cost, unless I can provoke Igor into whacking it off in a fit of primal pent-up rage. I'd have to orchestrate it just right, so he doesn't go too far. Better ponder the details, before proceeding.  Tom, big eyes, big nose... big mouth

Concern: This reminds me of our casual discussions when redoubtable Al announced the Apollo !! Eyepiece. So now redoubtable Markus announces the 90o 150mm ED APO Binos. And the momentum starts to build... inexorably leading to my needing a second Apollo Eleven, and this binoscope ready, willing, able, and worthy of embracing them. [Here Tom returns to the aquarium to feed the fish, and ponder the Universe. If his wife finds out about this, she will most certainly see to it that Tom is feeding the fishes...]

Those eye pupils actually look like they could be almost 71mm... bigshock.gif

#12 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 08 April 2020 - 03:24 PM

Looks chemically induced to me....lol.gif

• Terra Nova and iMskywalker like this

#13 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

Looks chemically induced to me....lol.gif

In bright lights my pupils look like this!    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 100 leaf iris shutter Tom's Pupils in bright light jpg.jpg

• Astroman007 likes this

#14 sonny.barile

sonny.barile

Surveyor 1

• Loc: In the class 8/9 glow.....somewhere between the city and the stadiums.

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:02 PM

......and he is not even in a dark room watching.gif

#15 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 08 April 2020 - 04:46 PM

There is a medical condition called mydriasis where the pupils won't contract normally with changes in light intensity.

#16 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 05:51 PM

I think the pupils may be a physiological reaction triggered by the psychological effect of seeing a photo of this instrument in the raw.drool5.gif  Just glad he doesn't look like thisEyecrazy.gif .

At least there are no $$ signs in front of those pupils.

Rick

• Moravianus and Astroman007 like this

#17 Codbear

Codbear

Apollo

• Loc: Novato, CA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:24 PM

71mm Tom?!?

I'm presuming you're capable of measuring star distances just by alternately blinking each eye? (says the guy whose eyes are so close he can't even measure the distance of his thumb!)lol.gif

• noisejammer, SMark and Astroman007 like this

#18 Beg

Beg

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rocky Mountains

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

Very nice looking bino, that is for sure. Wonder if the undersized prism issue got tweaked. Markus knew about it. Would really love a side by side comparison with the Oberwerk 127 for a real world comparison. Does the extra weight and size equal greater performance between the two. Between the two as a total package all things considered. Maybe someone will tell us.

Edited by Beg, 08 April 2020 - 09:06 PM.

• oldmanrick and Astroman007 like this

#19 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:54 PM

71mm Tom?!?

I'm presuming you're capable of measuring star distances just by alternately blinking each eye? (says the guy whose eyes are so close he can't even measure the distance of his thumb!)lol.gif

Believe it or not... I was heavily-involved in stereoscopic ranging! We used these Zoom Stereoscopes to generate topo maps using film imagery from both air-breathers and satellite platforms e.g. USGS surveys etc. The field-use light table workstations needed better illumination, so I designed that improvement, patent below. They production-lined them and sent piles of these things out into the field. Anyway, the photointerpreter guys and gals. People's ability to discriminate range (and more importantly, differential range) is indeed proportional to IPD... and experience. Here's the device that I was improving upon >>>

"The Bausch & Lomb Zoom 240 Stereoscopic Viewer on the Cutler Hammer AIL 1540 light table. This light table was used by the U.S. intelligence community to analyze film from photoreconnaissance satellites and aircraft beginning in 1971. In contrast to earlier light tables, the AIL 1540 had motorized film drives, microscope mounts, and elevation control. It could handle 70 mm and 5 inch, 6.6 inch and 9 inch wide film, and permitted the viewing of two stereo rolls simultaneously. Despite the introduction of computerized systems in 1981 to process imagery returned digitally from photoreconnaissance satellites and aircraft, light tables such as the AIL 1540 are still used today with older imagery that has never been digitized. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency transferred this artifact to the Museum in 2004."

And here's my patent for that gizmo.     Tom, cross-eyed Tom

~click on~ >>>

Attached Thumbnails

• 102 Toms Condensing Illuminator Patent 97.jpg

• SMark, Terra Nova, Simon Alderman and 4 others like this

#20 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 11:46 PM

Believe it or not... I was heavily-involved in stereoscopic ranging! We used these Zoom Stereoscopes to generate topo maps using film imagery from both air-breathers and satellite platforms e.g. USGS surveys etc. The field-use light table workstations needed better illumination, so I designed that improvement, patent below. They production-lined them and sent piles of these things out into the field. Anyway, the photointerpreter guys and gals. People's ability to discriminate range (and more importantly, differential range) is indeed proportional to IPD... and experience. Here's the device that I was improving upon >>>

"The Bausch & Lomb Zoom 240 Stereoscopic Viewer on the Cutler Hammer AIL 1540 light table. This light table was used by the U.S. intelligence community to analyze film from photoreconnaissance satellites and aircraft beginning in 1971. In contrast to earlier light tables, the AIL 1540 had motorized film drives, microscope mounts, and elevation control. It could handle 70 mm and 5 inch, 6.6 inch and 9 inch wide film, and permitted the viewing of two stereo rolls simultaneously. Despite the introduction of computerized systems in 1981 to process imagery returned digitally from photoreconnaissance satellites and aircraft, light tables such as the AIL 1540 are still used today with older imagery that has never been digitized. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency transferred this artifact to the Museum in 2004."

And here's my patent for that gizmo.     Tom, cross-eyed Tom

~click on~ >>>

Tom, very interesting.  In my earlier days working for the U.S. Forest Service, I had occasion to do stereoscopic viewing.  When in the office, we had a machine that could scan a pair of stereo aerial, (air-breather), photos by simply turning a pair of knobs, while the operator watched the 3-D landscape pass by through a set of eyepieces.  I forget the name of the machine, but it was very cool and greatly enhanced our photo interpreting ability.  Probably responsible for enhancing my interest in large binoculars, (it was another 2-eyed optical device).

Unfortunately, I never had the benefit of using your illuminator.  Many times it would have been a great help in our dark dingy offices.

We also had simple stereo devices with mirrors and prisms, but with these the device had to be manually moved over the photo pairs or vice-versa.  When things really got tough in the field we could actually use just our bare eyeballs and hold the stereo pairs in front of us or lay them on a table, car hood, stump or other handy spot.  By arranging the photos just right, one could get a decent stereo image to form in one's brain, of a small part of the stereo photo pair.  Actually, with practice, it was amazing how much 3=D detail could be seen.  

Anyway, enough of my assistance in highjacking this fine thread.

I'm excited to hear more about the big 90 degree 150 APM SD binocular.  Will be interesting to read how it compares to my plain old ED version.

Clear skies!

Rick 

• Astroman007 likes this

#21 ThomasM

ThomasM

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:34 AM

I'm excited to hear more about the big 90 degree 150 APM SD binocular.  Will be interesting to read how it compares to my plain old ED version.

Clear skies!

Rick 

Herer are some specs from APM, see the post in the vendor section:

item weight with eyepiece and dust caps about 23.5kgs
item weight without eyepiece and dust caps about 22.5kgs
item length about 840mm
item width about 372mm
item height without EP about 280mm

Edited by ThomasM, 09 April 2020 - 11:39 AM.

• ArsMachina likes this

#22 garret

garret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:52 AM

Is this the first series made 150mm binocular with 90 degree view?

#23 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:57 AM

Jochen, it's a beautiful bino; I take it you are getting the first production?  I'm with Beg about wondering how the prism sizing issue has been dealt with with this new Amici roof design.  The early 45° ED/ Schmidt roof version clearly showed some prism edge intrusion into the light path as well as the roofline edge passing through the outer areas of the FOV.

I know that moving up to a 2" format requires a huge step up in prism size but it would be good to know how they dealt with the new 90° Amici design.  Perhaps they fixed the 45° models in later iterations?  

Rich

#24 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Skylab

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

Is this the first series made 150mm binocular with 90 degree view?

There was old version of APM 150mm 90 degree 2" visualback binoculars before.  The photo below is from January 2011,

side-by-side with APM 100.  The APM 150mm weighted about 60lb.

large.jpg

Tammy

• george tatsis, garret, ArsMachina and 1 other like this

#25 salico

salico

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:21 PM

There was old version of APM 150mm 90 degree 2" visualback binoculars before.  The photo below is from January 2011,

side-by-side with APM 100.  The APM 150mm weighted about 60lb.

large.jpg

Tammy

True, but very different design, described as much lower quality optics

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics