•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is It Bad To Keep All That Weight On The Mount?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dszydel

dszydel

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denver,CO

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:11 PM

I've been keeping my new scope and mount in the kitchen near the back door for easy access. I like the way it looks when its all put together but I'm concerned that the weight of the scope and counter weight may not be good for the moving parts in the mount (AVX)? Or am I overthinking this and the mount is designed to hold the weight for extended periods of time?

#2 dron2015

dron2015

Vostok 1

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:19 PM

Here should be some process to block RA and DEC.

In my previous mount -  Orion atlas pro - there were "capital's wheels"

In my cem120 - switchers to disengage the gear and to block RA and DEC.

Generally, the mount should hold the load, but try to block the RA and Dec - so the gear will not be damaged due to some moves or vibrations.

#3 AhBok

AhBok

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lakeland, TN

Posted 08 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

Won’t hurt a thing as long as you are not severely under mounted. Ask anyone with an observatory or other permanently mounted scope on wheels. I‘ve been permanently mounting my scopes for nearly 60 years with no issues caused by doing this.

• ShaulaB and DSOs4Me like this

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:02 PM

No, you're overthinking. Go do something else for a while.

• Jim Waters, bobzeq25, Astro-Master and 2 others like this

#5 Ishtim

Ishtim

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:49 PM

Assuming it's balanced... you're good to go

#6 Fernando134

Fernando134

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Brasil

Posted 08 April 2020 - 09:07 PM

I've been keeping my new scope and mount in the kitchen near the back door for easy access. I like the way it looks when its all put together but I'm concerned that the weight of the scope and counter weight may not be good for the moving parts in the mount (AVX)? Or am I overthinking this and the mount is designed to hold the weight for extendedi keep my Mach1 with all the gear periods of time?

I keep the Mach1 with all the gear, year after year, in a specific park position. Your concern crossed my mind awhile ago. Asked the guys from AP and the answer was that there is any issue keeping the mount this way. My guess is that it may be the same for any mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics