•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Power Supply + ASIAIR PRO + EQ6 R PRO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:28 PM

Can you control a Skywatcher EQ6 R Pro from the Asiair Pro? The EQ6 mount takes between 2.5 and 4 amps depending on the voltage?  I'm thinking not? So that would mean I would have to have 3 separate power supplies. One for the mount, one for the air (with the ZWO ASI294 cooled camera and a 120 mini camera) and one for the dew heater controller. If this is really so, can I get a 20 amp regulated power supply and split it into three separate output cables and control everything with that one supply? Is that feasible without causing unwanted interference? It would be a 120v supply to DC as I would be at home. I'm not interested in 12v battery control. What does others do and how do you set things up?

#2 mistateo

mistateo

Apollo

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:59 PM

I use one 12v power supply with a power distribution block, and then connectors for every item that needs power.  It uses anderson powerpole connectors.

https://www.amazon.c...3TVH/ref=sr_1_2

Some others use a "rig runner" or things like mine, but with built in fuse protection.

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:09 PM

I would not. It just puts an unnecessary load on the asiair. Better to split it into three lines one have one going to each accessory. Or just split it into two and have one line go to asiair and another go to the mount, then power the ASI294mc from the asiair. 12V 20amp power supply will be fine. 

Edited by Cometeer, 08 April 2020 - 08:10 PM.

#4 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:14 PM

I use one 12v power supply with a power distribution block, and then connectors for every item that needs power.  It uses anderson powerpole connectors.

https://www.amazon.c...3TVH/ref=sr_1_2

Some others use a "rig runner" or things like mine, but with built in fuse protection.

Thanks Guys. Where would you put the distribution block? On the telescope or the mount? I wanted to have one wire to fool with coming from the telescope for power. So cameras controlled from the air, dew controller and mount on it's own?  I would like it to be easy to take apart for fast set up and take down.

How about something like this.  https://www.amazon.c...sk_ql_qh_dp_hza

BTW...Does the EQ6 R Pro mount come with at least the power cable? If so what kind is it? Mount coming soon.grin.gif

Edited by madeinusa, 08 April 2020 - 10:26 PM.

#5 madeinusa

madeinusa

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

Edited by madeinusa, 09 April 2020 - 06:24 PM.

#6 Zeeshan014

Zeeshan014

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

if you want one power cable maybe look into pegasus astro pocket power box. 

#7 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

FWIW, I’d be weary of supplying more than 6amps to the ASIAIR Pro. They recommend staying under 6 as it can start to get warm (was originally powering everything from it with a 12v 8A and it was definitely hotter to the touch. Not sure if it will completely overheat, but I ended up using a single 12v 5A supply for it, and another 12v 7A to supply the mount and dew controller/strips.

Website states 2A - 6A for the input. I admit I don’t have a ton of experience with electricity, but personally I wasn’t willing to fry $300..

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics