•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP! First AP Image - Banding/Noise in Red Channel/DSS Problem

astrophotography beginner dslr imaging
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ranjit

Ranjit

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:17 AM

I just finished a Multi Night capture of Orion/M42

Acquisition Details

Lights - 129 x 120s

Darks - 40 x 120s( Various temperatures 36°,37°,38°,39° Centigrade)

Flats - 40

Bias - 40

The problem i'm facing is that in the red channel there is a lot of Noise/ Banding I'm not able to clean up in Photoshop.

The thing is stacked it in 3 different programs - DSS/APP & SiRil. Only the DSS file is showing this while the other two

are noisy but minimal and can be cleaned up post-processing. As i stretch the data in Photoshop, it's adding a lot of banding noise

which I'm unable to remove.

Question

1. Did i stack them wrongly in DSS or not take enough frames of the various temperature darks?

2. Or is it just noise from my DSLR(Canon EOS 60D), which is unmodified and with a CLS filter, that i have to deal with?

Any help would be appreciated.

M42_Banding_Noise_RedChannel.jpg

Edited by Ranjit, 09 April 2020 - 01:18 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:40 AM

So this just red channel?
Hard to see the problem.
Anyway, it maybe the typical Canon banding 'feature'.
Dithering helps.
  • Ranjit likes this

#3 RJF-Astro

RJF-Astro

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Zeist, Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:58 AM

Hi there! As stretch reveals banding indeed. It looks like typical Canon horizontal banding, but I am not sure. Maybe the other stacking software does some kind of noise reduction while DSS does not.

There are tools to remove this. There is an action set for Photoshop which has an action to reduce both horizontal and vertical banding. PixInsight also has a good script, but it is kinda expensive just for the script. Carboni's set is a good investment anyway, lots of great tools. If you host the original linear tiff somewhere and post a link, I could try these out and see if they work for your image.

post-319293-0-65942900-1586413043 stretched.jpg

• Ranjit likes this

#4 Ranjit

Ranjit

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:59 AM

So this just red channel?
Hard to see the problem.
Anyway, it maybe the typical Canon banding 'feature'.
Dithering helps.

Yes this is just the red channel. I dithered using APT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Ranjit

Ranjit

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 02:01 AM

Hi there! As stretch reveals banding indeed. It looks like typical Canon horizontal banding, but I am not sure. Maybe the other stacking software does some kind of noise reduction while DSS does not.

There are tools to remove this. There is an action set for Photoshop which has an action to reduce both horizontal and vertical banding. PixInsight also has a good script, but it is kinda expensive just for the script. Carboni's set is a good investment anyway, lots of great tools. If you host the original linear tiff somewhere and post a link, I could try these out and see if they work for your image.

attachicon.gifpost-319293-0-65942900-1586413043 stretched.jpg

Much appreciated. I’ll play around with some settings in DSS and try out Carboni as well.

I used the Astronomy Action Tools Banding Action and it helped but left me with some gradient which Gradient Xterminator is not able to remove.

#6 Huangdi

Huangdi

Viking 1

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:00 PM

Another Canon shot bites the dust...long live Nikon!

On a serious(ish) note, I can only second carbonis actions, they work exceptionally well. Besides that, nice image!
  • Ranjit likes this

#7 Ranjit

Ranjit

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

Another Canon shot bites the dust...long live Nikon!

On a serious(ish) note, I can only second carbonis actions, they work exceptionally well. Besides that, nice image!

Thanks for tip I was reading up on the banding issues on the canon and was hoping it wasn’t the case.. Oh well... Will try out carboni.. Can’t wait for my ASI 183MC Pro OSC... Knew I made the right choice

#8 klaussius

klaussius

Viking 1

• Loc: Buenos Aires

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

Yes this is just the red channel. I dithered using APT.

To remove banding, you'll have to increase dither distance considerably.

I dither 20-28 pixels on my guide cam to remove it, which translates to about 60 pixels on the DSLR.

• Ranjit likes this

#9 Ranjit

Ranjit

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:24 PM

To remove banding, you'll have to increase dither distance considerably.

I dither 20-28 pixels on my guide cam to remove it, which translates to about 60 pixels on the DSLR.

Thank you will give it a try

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics