•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M42 Through My 7x60 Bushnell Binocular...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 01:55 AM

...With night vision and hydrogen alpha filters. It's getting pretty late in the season to view Orion from here in the forest. So while I had a reasonably clear sky, and in spite of the full moon and obvious city lights, I gave one last shot at a view that I've had many times during the past few months. I usually do this hand-held from my zero-gravity chair, but decided to put my contraption on a tripod tonight, and try to snap a pic or two. The two-eyed view of M42 @ 7x is so much better than this pic would indicate, especially if on a clear moonless evening. But this is one of my favorite wintertime views...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2849.JPG

• Mark9473, harbinjer, Compressorguy and 10 others like this

#2 harbinjer

harbinjer

Messenger

• Loc: Southeastern Minnesota

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:27 AM

M42 is fantastic! You're getting so much of it in your picture, more similar to a long exposure than visual, impressive!

I'm curious about the 7x60. Where does it rank among your collection? Seeing it in your signature, I decided to get one when I saw it on SGW recently. I haven't had a good astronomy night with it though. In the daytime it's good, but for this one particularly, it not a real test.

#3 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:37 AM

Intensified binocular and telescope viewing is very interesting to me. That’s a great photo. Do you have a photo of your set up and what gen tubes you are using? 

#4 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:27 AM

I purchased my Bushnell 7x60 (here in the classifieds) specifically for this purpose. It's hard to find hand-held binoculars with exit pupils larger than 7mm, and when I saw this one for sale, I expected it would be the brightest one I could ever find. And since I am putting the NVD in front of the eyepieces (afocally,) it will "see" the entire 8.6mm exit pupil and so use every bit of light the binocular will provide and will enhance the view just that much more.

Mine is a very old Gen 3 device with unbalanced tubes that date back into the 1990s. Though I think I use the fact that they are unbalanced to my advantage. I bought two different H-alpha filters. One is 12nm, which I put in front of the weaker tube, and one is 7nm, which I put in front of the stronger tube. This results in a more balanced binocular view, with one side slightly dimmer but providing a view with no scintillation at all, and the other side being brighter but with a fair amount scintillation. My eyes will easily balance it anyway by way of pupil size within a minute or so of viewing, and the effect is probably not unlike using two different types of filters with binocular summation providing the "best of both worlds," so-to-speak. 

I have a new set of tubes on my list of things to get. But as you may know, matched "astronomy grade" image intensifier tubes are very expensive and usually need to be ordered and then waited for. The military tend to get most of the better tubes when they become available. Since my tubes are very old tubes anyway, I would likely be very happy with any new-ish pair of tubes I could find. So I may just jump on a pair with decent enough specs and be happy with what I get. At the moment, I only use these at 1x, 2.5x, 7x, and 13.75x. Going any higher tends to be counterproductive without a larger telescope to provide more light. And of course, I much prefer using binoculars anyway... smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3172.JPG
  • IMG_3173.JPG

Edited by SMark, 09 April 2020 - 01:10 PM.

• paulsky, Mark9473, hallelujah and 5 others like this

#5 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

Even a pair with different technology tubes seems to average together. Barnards loop invisible in either, jumps out in the binocular, brain averaging is cool. Don’t fret about getting the best tube, get what you can and enjoy the views.

Peter

#6 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

Even a pair with different technology tubes seems to average together. Barnards loop invisible in either, jumps out in the binocular, brain averaging is cool. Don’t fret about getting the best tube, get what you can and enjoy the views.

Peter

Yeah, that is the right approach. Purchasing a pair is an expensive proposition any way you look it. But if I sold off all of my 7x35s, I might get pretty close to what I would need... moneyeyes.gif

Edited by SMark, 09 April 2020 - 05:55 PM.

#7 SMark

SMark

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:49 AM

Just for the sake of comparison, below is a 13.75x pic that I took tonight through my APM-100 + NVD w/ Hα filters. Again, I caught it just before it went behind the trees while it was still twilight...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3367.JPG

• Compressorguy, Grimnir and Terra Nova like this

#8 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:57 AM

But if I sold off all of my 7x35s, I might get pretty close to what I would need... moneyeyes.gif

Dude, NV is good (as you know), but it ain’t *that* good! (Glad to see it would only be the 7x35 that would need to go ;-)!)

Peter

Edited by PEterW, 10 April 2020 - 02:58 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics