•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LS8 Rattle

Meade equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmymck

Jimmymck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:04 AM

Good afternoon, I have had my Meade LS8 for a few years now. Unfortunately, I can count on one hand how many times its been used. However, with this lockdown, I've had the opportunity to get it out with the family to apritiate the sky.

When I was out last night, I was focusing and something 'pinged' inside but everything seemed to work. When I parked the telescope to take it inside I hear a rattle and one inside I turned it on again to get the scope up so I could see that was going on. One inspection, there are some marks on the glass and there looks to be a spring clip inside. So, my questions are 1) Is the glass knackered 2) wheres the spring clip from? 3)how do I get it out as I'm scared that further transport will cause more damage?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2835.jpg

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 09 April 2020 - 09:48 AM

Looks like a retaining ring for baffle tube that moves as mirror is shifted.

You'll need to remove corrector and see if it can be reattached. The primary might slide off if it's is pointed downward so be careful.

#3 Jimmymck

Jimmymck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, I’ve got the scope horizontal. I found a YouTube video so ill follow that.

What would happen if I don’t put the spring clip back?

Has anyone got a photo of it in place?

#4 Jimmymck

Jimmymck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:23 AM

My LS8 went under surgery yesterday and it was a success. The retaining clip when easy on and ensure it was properly seated. I also cleaned the corrector and found it wasn’t scratched, and it was lubricant from the clip. I’ll get to try it out tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Vanguard

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

Great!  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics