This is a good topic.
I organise my own observation by reading a lot of different information such as AAVSO of course,
In the french speaking astronomer community I send via email the special alerts for relevant events and targets.
All based when not in ephemerids :
I send already more than 50 different alerts such as:
- New comet or comet outburst
- Novae and supernovae
- Specific solar activity Ha or WL
- Possible new shooting star radiant
- Brillant noctiluscent cloud
- New brillant Potentially Hazardous Asteroids
- Brillant blazar
- Black hole and gravitational lense effect
- Planetary weather forcast, Mars, Jupiter and Uranus
All done visualy only and do have some scientific interest... if shared ...
Out of those alerts from the ephemerids I ask to my contacts some special observations, visualy or with camera:
- calculation of a comet distance
- calculation of Danjon for total lunar eclipse
- moon appulses
- observation of star occultation by asteroids
- and for more classical targets, observation of specific behavior of the Moon, Venus, comets, variable stars...
So we are never enoying with our passion today, just in the near futur by those stupid satellites constellations that will mask our sky!