•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M101 Pinwheel Galaxy - Revisited

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Huangdi

Huangdi

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:20 AM

I captured this data a while back. Initially I was happy with it, but the more I started to rework my entire processing workflow, the more I realized how awful the first result was. So here is a reprocess of the same data, shame on what I did with it the first time !

The most important thing I learned was not to try imaging things that are out of your focal length's reach. Is a wide-field shot of this galaxy pretty? Hell yeah! There are SO MANY surrounding galaxies.

Is cropping it to get "closer" good? No...The more you zoom in the angrier you'll become about your limited aperture and FL.

Let me know what you think! 

Image details: 14 hours of 5-12 minute subs at ISO 200-400 with a Nikon D3300, shooting at F7.5 (600mm) with an Orion ED80. Tracked on the iExos100 and processed in APP/PS

Oh and if they background is too dark for your taste, I had some really nasty gradients coming in from my best friend, Mr Streetlightinyourface

You can find a high resolution version here on my website! https://www.crazedco...pinwheel-galaxy

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• m101 old.jpg
  • m101 new.jpg

• jimsmith, elmiko, WarmWeatherGuy and 4 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:25 AM

there is a very big difference between the two wow, thank you and bravo.

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure if your first attempt is one to be ashamed of, but the progress between the two is noticeable and definitely in the right direction!  Well done!

Thanks for sharing!

-Ara

• tcchittyjr likes this

#4 Huangdi

Huangdi

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:58 AM

there is a very big difference between the two wow, thank you and bravo.

Thank you! Means a lot that you can see the big difference hehe

I'm not sure if your first attempt is one to be ashamed of, but the progress between the two is noticeable and definitely in the right direction!  Well done!

Thanks for sharing!

-Ara

Thank you!...Ah well, a little self-criticism never does any harm. Considering my skills at the time, it is an okay image. But I'm glad I have a better version to preset ^^

• sunnyday likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics