•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron iPolar software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rickelsch

rickelsch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: ON, Canada

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:51 AM

I just tried to download the software for my newly purchased iPolar electronic polarscope from the iOptron website, but the connection was aborted by my Avast antivirus software, the reason being that the connection was infected with URL:Blacklist. Is there another location from which I can download it? I've contacted OPT, and they said they'd investigate, but I haven't yet heard from them. I tried support@ioptron.com, but could not contact them; the message come back saying that this address did not exist! Does anyone have any suggestions or info about iOptron?

Rick

#2 sc285

sc285

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northeastern KS

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

There is nothing wrong with the iPolar download. It is Avast giving a false flag. I found that if I right click and do a save as, it downloads fine. If you do a direct left click on it, your antivirus software will flag it. There is no other location that I know of. You could also temporarily disable the av software to get it downloaded.

Rob

• Gary Z and bobzeq25 like this

#3 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:53 PM

There is nothing wrong with the iPolar download. It is Avast giving a false flag. I found that if I right click and do a save as, it downloads fine. If you do a direct left click on it, your antivirus software will flag it. There is no other location that I know of. You could also temporarily disable the av software to get it downloaded.

Rob

Completely agree with Rob.  

Also, there is nothing wrong with the support@ioptron.com.  I just checked.  What I did get is a autogenerated message stating they are adhering to the stay at home order as this is a US Supported email.  

Gary

• sc285 likes this

#4 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Apollo

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 09 April 2020 - 03:13 PM

I have had nothing but great CS from iOptron.

Myk
  • Gary Z likes this

#5 rickelsch

rickelsch

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: ON, Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

Thanks, guys. I had to shut off Avast to get the download, but then all went well.

• Gary Z likes this

#6 OldManSky

OldManSky

Soyuz

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:28 AM

FYI, "URL:Blacklist" isn't some kind of infection a site has.  Several anti-spam and/or anti-virus vendors keep a "blacklist" of URLs that may have caused problems or been the source of phishing/other scams in the past.  So when Avast reports "URL:Blacklist," it's telling you that it thinks (it's not always right) that the URL is on one of these blacklists.  Not that there's anything ON the site that is a problem.

My company recently purchased a domain name that was available to drive traffic for one of our clients to that does home/business window installations.  The domain name was related to window installations.  AWS wouldn't issue me a security certificate for it, however -- because whomever owned the domain name previously had used it to do phishing scams related to Windows10 installations -- not hardware window installations like we wanted to use it for.  It had been blacklisted.  It took me a couple of days to confirm new ownership, contact the blacklisters, and get it "cleared" from blacklists so I could get a security cert.  That happens frequently :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics