•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY268C vs. 247C

astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Birddogoby

Birddogoby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:30 PM

Hi - I’d like to upgrade from my current full frame DSLR so I’m in the process of shopping for a high quality OSC.  Two people that I know suggested I consider two QHY cams- the 268C and 247C.  I’d be very interested in hearing back from anyone who has experience with these two cameras.  The new ASI2600 Pro also looks promising but I’ve been told the lead time to get one may be months.  

Thanks!

#2 Birddogoby

Birddogoby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 12:54 PM

P.S. - or the QHY128C.

#3 Gene3

Gene3

Viking 1

• Loc: Del Mar, CA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 04:35 PM

I had a 247C for a while and it was a good camera. Had the 268C not come along I would have kept it. I believe the 268C offers more bang for the buck so the higher cost was worth it to me.

The enemy of "good enough" is "better"

PS: I may be selling my 367C so stay tuned.

#4 Birddogoby

Birddogoby

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

Thanks Gene. The 268C sure looks good with the 16bit back illuminated sensor, etc. over the 247C.  Boy, isn’t that the truth!  If I don’t watch it, I’ll end with some $10K cam.

• Gene3 likes this

#5 liqinyang-QHYCCD

liqinyang-QHYCCD

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:34 AM

Dear

APS-C format
The QHY268C is a cooled, back-illuminated, color CMOS camera based on the Sony IMX571 sensor with native 16-bit A/D and 3.76um pixels.

51ke- Full Well at 3.76um
75ke- at extend mode
One benefit of the back-illuminated CMOS structure is improved full well capacity. This is particularly helpful for sensors with small pixels. Even with unbinned, the 3.76um pixels of the QHY268C has a full well capacity of 51ke-. QHY268C also offer a unique read mode up to 75ke per pixel.

• Gene3 likes this

#6 QiuHY

QiuHY

Vendor (QHYCCD)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Beijing CHINA

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:11 PM

Here is a user review of the QHY268C and it has everything about QHY268C

http://cosmic-colors...qhy268c-review/

The QHY268C now have PhotoGraphic version , early bird version and the future PRO version(scientific using ).   Photograh version is $300 less than the early bird version. . QHY247C has a price adjustment and it is now $400 less than QHY268C Photograhic version.

The major differerent is that one is BSI and one is FSI. Normally speaking BSI has higher QE, And for QHY268C it has a speically readmode with 75ke fullwell which is also a highlight.  And one is 16bit one is 14bit.  

It does not say QHY247C are all not good as QHY268C. It is said the FSI has some advantages than BSI. FSI has no the "random hot pixels"  but you can see such hot pixels in some BSI sensor .  Another topic is that some people in DSLR world say the FSI sensor has more saturated color , sepcially in red color , than the BSI sensor.  I guess the reason maybe the BSI structure , due to the electron is more easy to spread to the neighbor pixels. So it will cause the color crosstalk.(for example, some electron in green pixel come to the red pixel).   Normally speaking, more smaller pixel , the color crosstalk in BSI sensor will be more heavy.

Fortunately, the big fullwell of QHY268C will save it. For more deep fullwell, you are more easy to get higher color contrast.  So the 75ke fullwell of QHY268C will worth a lot.

Best regarsd,

Qiu Hongyun

Edited by QiuHY, 19 April 2020 - 01:18 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics