•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thinking of buying EQ6-R PRO and EvoStar 120ED

astrophotography beginner dso equipment
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sku

sku

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 07:19 PM

Hello All,

Both together cost $1595 + $1775. I have few questions. 

1. Will the EvoStar 120ED work with the EQ6-R PRO mount? 

2. What additional equipment do I need to start observing? 

3. What additional equipment do I need to start imaging? (I have a minolta SLR camera, digital). 

For this price, is this a good combo? Said differently, if I paid the same money can I do better? I wanted a good mount as I realize mount is critical and am investing for long term. It takes effort to make investments and so I am going with what I consider to be really good mount + scope. Thoughts?

I really appreciate your help. 

Thank you

#2 mazdak

mazdak

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:02 AM

Hello 

I work with this setup few times.

ED120 is great specially for planets. at 300X saturn and jupiter reveal very fine details.

for observing i recommend to buy some better eyepices.for example a 35 to 40 mm eyepiece with wide field of view can make a  really great wide field about 3 to 4 degree for observing star clusters like m45.

and a 3 to 5 mm for planets.

for astrophotography you need a simple T-ring for your DSLR . and for serious work you can buy a dedicated reducer/flattener for depp-sky astrophotography.

#3 Montana Man

Montana Man

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 April 2020 - 11:37 PM

I bought the mount in question. I'm no pro but I can say it does a good job. I started with a Canon camera and lens but soon ended up with the whole AP setup. Using the Canon for everyday use and AP didn't work for me very well. 

#4 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:52 AM

Even before I bought my equipment I realized I would wreck my DSLR trying to do Astroimaging with it. So I got a astro camera.

That was a bad one. But a couple of years later I got a good one.

If you are interested in Astro Imaging, a good rule of thumb is to figure half of a mounts capacity for your telescope and all the gear you will add.

The telescope is listed as 13.9 pounds. Just say 14. The mount is rated at 44 pounds of equipment in the saddle.

I'd say you are probably golden weight wise. I doubt you would add 8 pounds to it. A DSLR weights ~2 pounds. You'll want a guide scope and camera.

And you will likely add some other items.

Do you know what you are interested in? Because that can be a big factor in what you buy.

For example, I'm interested in DSO (Deep Space Objects), Nebula specifically. So I did my research and shopping toward that end.

And as I narrowed it down, so did my telescope. I began all bleary eyed over Celestron's big 6" Achromatic refractor. Wrong telescope for my targets.

Since I wanted to do imaging, the telescope had to be as good a lens as I could afford. Lens, as in camera lens.

I got some good stuff, but I also got some bad stuff. I got an astro camera that was absolutely junk, 3 of them. Camera 1 was DOA. Camera 2 was 1/2 DOA. And Camera 3 was a carp are well.

But I got lucky and a very good friend offered to loan me the camera I have now. I bought it from him and he virtually gave it to me.

My AVX wasn't much better than that first camera. It failed the first week, failed at 8 months, and failed last November for the last time.

Going on 5 years now, I'm finally where I wanted to be.

So think about what you are interested in seeing or imaging. Once you decide, then find out how and what others are doing to do that.

If you can be specific from the start, it helps in the long run. And you don't wind up with a crap pile of stuff you don't use.

• Stephen S. likes this

#5 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2020 - 04:23 PM

Even before I bought my equipment I realized I would wreck my DSLR trying to do Astroimaging with it. So I got a astro camera.
That was a bad one. But a couple of years later I got a good one.

If you are interested in Astro Imaging, a good rule of thumb is to figure half of a mounts capacity for your telescope and all the gear you will add.
The telescope is listed as 13.9 pounds. Just say 14. The mount is rated at 44 pounds of equipment in the saddle.
I'd say you are probably golden weight wise. I doubt you would add 8 pounds to it. A DSLR weights ~2 pounds. You'll want a guide scope and camera.
And you will likely add some other items.

Do you know what you are interested in? Because that can be a big factor in what you buy.
For example, I'm interested in DSO (Deep Space Objects), Nebula specifically. So I did my research and shopping toward that end.
And as I narrowed it down, so did my telescope. I began all bleary eyed over Celestron's big 6" Achromatic refractor. Wrong telescope for my targets.
Since I wanted to do imaging, the telescope had to be as good a lens as I could afford. Lens, as in camera lens.

I got some good stuff, but I also got some bad stuff. I got an astro camera that was absolutely junk, 3 of them. Camera 1 was DOA. Camera 2 was 1/2 DOA. And Camera 3 was a carp are well.
But I got lucky and a very good friend offered to loan me the camera I have now. I bought it from him and he virtually gave it to me.
My AVX wasn't much better than that first camera. It failed the first week, failed at 8 months, and failed last November for the last time.
Going on 5 years now, I'm finally where I wanted to be.

So think about what you are interested in seeing or imaging. Once you decide, then find out how and what others are doing to do that.
If you can be specific from the start, it helps in the long run. And you don't wind up with a crap pile of stuff you don't use.

Hello Sonny

That was a detailed response to the OP but do you mind naming the cameras and what went wrong with them? It will be a great here.

Thanks
  • SonnyE likes this

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 16 April 2020 - 05:35 PM

Hello Sonny

That was a detailed response to the OP but do you mind naming the cameras and what went wrong with them? It will be a great here.

Thanks

Easy enough, read my signature.

I got an Orion G3 color camera.

1. The first one the fan didn't run. Not finding anyway to make it run, I called Orion. I asked the guy how to turn on the fan. He said it comes on when plugged in.

I told him it doesn't run. After I talked to him for a couple of minutes, he had a moment finally.idea.gif Wait, he said, the fan has never run? Yep, the fan has never run so I'm calling to find out how to turn it on.

(By this time I'm wondering if he knows as much about the product as I do.) He sent me a new camera, and instructed me to take the new camera, and return the bad one.

2. The newly replaced G3 fan ran. But it had striations through every crappy picture it took. I worked with it for 8 months. Finally, end of warranty closing in, I sent it back. They sent the third G3.... mad.gif

3. The third G3 fan ran, and no striations in the image. (Be cause #2 had a half dead matrix. ohmy.gif  Such quality control...NOT.) Now, Camera #3 was noisy. So much so, 5 friends tried processing the images from it. None could. So what I did to make it half-fast work was to take long exposures. No, I mean L-O-N-G exposures. Most were 20 minutes to 30 minutes one-shot-color images. But one night I got some bang-on tracking and guiding. I worked my way up, and up, in time. Finally, I just went for it 5400 seconds. 90 minutes, single shot, color image. And it worked.

The cooler on it never got real cold. 10° below ambient was a good night. My friends used to tell me, Sonny, you just stack with time. And we had a standing LOL about my "Rainbow Sprinkles" in every image.

Finally, a friend offered to loan me an Atik Infinity OSC camera. I resisted, he persisted. Finally, I accepted after I told him, What if I do let you send it. And what if I like it? Or what if it gets lost in the mail? What if I like it and want to keep it?

He said we could work it out, and insurance would cover it if it got lost.

He sent it, The very first image, the very first night, was the proof the G3 was a terrible piece of crap.

If you go, again, to my signature, and the bottom line, there is a link to a video I made of my first 6 weeks or so with my Atik Infinity.

But, I'm not one to blame the equipment until the equipment itself proves it is garbage.

My AVX, and the G3 both proved they are trash. See the strike through? See the replacements after the strike through?

Now, see my face? grin.gif cool.gif waytogo.gif That's because I've corrected my beginners mistakes. wink.gif

Edited by SonnyE, 16 April 2020 - 05:37 PM.

#7 kel123

kel123

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 April 2020 - 06:46 PM

Easy enough, read my signature.
I got an Orion G3 color camera.
1. The first one the fan didn't run. Not finding anyway to make it run, I called Orion. I asked the guy how to turn on the fan. He said it comes on when plugged in.
I told him it doesn't run. After I talked to him for a couple of minutes, he had a moment finally.idea.gif Wait, he said, the fan has never run? Yep, the fan has never run so I'm calling to find out how to turn it on.
(By this time I'm wondering if he knows as much about the product as I do.) He sent me a new camera, and instructed me to take the new camera, and return the bad one.
2. The newly replaced G3 fan ran. But it had striations through every crappy picture it took. I worked with it for 8 months. Finally, end of warranty closing in, I sent it back. They sent the third G3.... mad.gif
3. The third G3 fan ran, and no striations in the image. (Be cause #2 had a half dead matrix. ohmy.gif Such quality control...NOT.) Now, Camera #3 was noisy. So much so, 5 friends tried processing the images from it. None could. So what I did to make it half-fast work was to take long exposures. No, I mean L-O-N-G exposures. Most were 20 minutes to 30 minutes one-shot-color images. But one night I got some bang-on tracking and guiding. I worked my way up, and up, in time. Finally, I just went for it 5400 seconds. 90 minutes, single shot, color image. And it worked.
The cooler on it never got real cold. 10° below ambient was a good night. My friends used to tell me, Sonny, you just stack with time. And we had a standing LOL about my "Rainbow Sprinkles" in every image.

Finally, a friend offered to loan me an Atik Infinity OSC camera. I resisted, he persisted. Finally, I accepted after I told him, What if I do let you send it. And what if I like it? Or what if it gets lost in the mail? What if I like it and want to keep it?
He said we could work it out, and insurance would cover it if it got lost.
He sent it, The very first image, the very first night, was the proof the G3 was a terrible piece of crap.
If you go, again, to my signature, and the bottom line, there is a link to a video I made of my first 6 weeks or so with my Atik Infinity.
But, I'm not one to blame the equipment until the equipment itself proves it is garbage.
My AVX, and the G3 both proved they are trash. See the strike through? See the replacements after the strike through?
Now, see my face? grin.gifcool.gifwaytogo.gif That's because I've corrected my beginners mistakes. wink.gif

Thank you so much Sonny. You can always be trusted to say it as it exactly is. You are a gift here. Cheers.

#8 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:03 PM

Hello All,

Both together cost $1595 + $1775. I have few questions. 

1. Will the EvoStar 120ED work with the EQ6-R PRO mount? 

2. What additional equipment do I need to start observing? 

3. What additional equipment do I need to start imaging? (I have a minolta SLR camera, digital). 

For this price, is this a good combo? Said differently, if I paid the same money can I do better? I wanted a good mount as I realize mount is critical and am investing for long term. It takes effort to make investments and so I am going with what I consider to be really good mount + scope. Thoughts?

I really appreciate your help. 

Thank you

The EvoStar 120ED is fantastic and you can't go wrong with that tube, but I would ask in the imaging forum about how good it is for that purpose. You might consider a focuser upgrade at time of purchase. I can highly recommend Moonlite focusers. I'm guessing they will recommend other refractors as well.

Same for the mount. If you decide for sure on a scope, then go to the Mount Forum and ask there - you'll get more replies. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dso, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics