•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

BepiColombo passes Earth tonight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 09 April 2020 - 08:37 PM

Heavens-above has added BepiColombo as an object to look out for tonight, and if not for the big sparkly "NEW!" sign near it, I would have missed this entirely. 

This satellite is currently passing the Earth as it makes it way towards Mercury, and should be visible as a 9-10th magnitude target. For observers in eastern time, it should appear around 12:44am and disappear behind the Earth's shadow at 1:01am. After spending 33 minutes in our shadow, it should re-appear approaching Corvus at 1:34am. From there, it will be visible for another couple hours. I'm hoping to observe the disappearance and reappearance of this satellite - that would be extremely neat to see. 

BepiColombo will be taking some images of the Earth as it passes as well. Here's an early time-lapse: http://www.esa.int/E..._ahead_of_flyby

Edited by RyanSem, 09 April 2020 - 08:57 PM.

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:45 AM

Was able to spot this satellite after exiting earth's shadow at 1:34:45 am. The spot I was betting on based on heaven-above turned out to be 1 FOV too early, so I spent a few seconds catching up to it after it didn't initially appear. 

Wasn't able to catch it hide in the Earth's shadow after all. Too many trees down that way. But I tracked it for about 8 minutes before the cold got to me, and that thing was moving! 

• B l a k S t a r and MCJ2087 like this

#3 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:36 PM

And away it goes...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics