•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lost the screws while aligning polar scope on EQM-35!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 btiedt

btiedt

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

I upgraded from iOptron Skytracker to the EQM-35 PRO (XMAS gift from my sweet hubby) and am really struggling with figuring it out. Now I think I've got a big problem. Since it is cloudy I decided to calibrate my polar scope after watching a video saying I should do that. It was a little off and I decided to adjust it. After several tweak alittle, rotate, tweak a little, suddenly I was way off and well, I must have turned two screws too much because they are gone.  Of the 3 little adjustment screws, for two of them there are now just little holes. shocked.gif   I am so upset. What do I do?  Am I totally screwed (no pun intended)? 

Please help!

Thank you

Bonnie

Edited by btiedt, 09 April 2020 - 10:17 PM.

#2 Jetstarz99

Jetstarz99

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 April 2020 - 11:13 PM

I upgraded from iOptron Skytracker to the EQM-35 PRO (XMAS gift from my sweet hubby) and am really struggling with figuring it out. Now I think I've got a big problem. Since it is cloudy I decided to calibrate my polar scope after watching a video saying I should do that. It was a little off and I decided to adjust it. After several tweak alittle, rotate, tweak a little, suddenly I was way off and well, I must have turned two screws too much because they are gone.  Of the 3 little adjustment screws, for two of them there are now just little holes. shocked.gif   I am so upset. What do I do?  Am I totally screwed (no pun intended)? 

Please help!

Thank you

Bonnie

Gone, as in gone inside? Picture?   Can the remaining screw come out? If so you can find a replacement somewhere.

Email to your dealer, or iOptron?

Cheers

#3 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:13 AM

One possibility: get a magnet and sweep it around the area where the telescope was during the procedure.

Those little screws are tiny, but usually magnetic metal.

Doesn't hurt to try. Nothing to loose. Worst case - you might have to order some replacement screws.

Good luck! We've all been there at one time or another.

#4 verycoldtoday

verycoldtoday

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:14 AM

Hi Bonnie,

The world will not end if you do not find the missing screws. The threads on screws and bolts are all made to standard sizes (the good news). There are a lot of standard sizes (the bad news). Take the remaining screw to someone knowledgeable at someplace like Lowes or an industrial supply. There are two things that are really important: the diameter, and the thread. These can be measured, but the simplest way is to hold the old screw against the possible new one. The threads should mesh together without being forced. The diameters should be the same. If the new screw is a little longer it should still work OK. The style of head does not matter so long as you have the right tool or your fingers can turn it.

Do not force the new screw into the old threaded hole. If it is hard to turn you have the wrong screw.  iOptron uses both inch and metric threads on its product, and they can be very hard to tell apart. I have a CEM25, which is another story.

If you want an exact match, iOptron has a very helpful service desk if it is still open during the pandemic. For the right price they will be glad to supply any part you need. But you will be back outside faster if you can find your missing screws nearby.

Walter

#5 btiedt

btiedt

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:49 AM

Maybe I misspoke. They aren't really screws with a head. And they are now inside the polar scope.  I've attached a photo of the screw and the hole that now has the screw inside.

Thanks. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200410_001824_HDR (2020-04-10T05_38_27.245) (1).jpg
  • 20200410_001815 (2020-04-10T05_39_08.720).jpg

#6 Tom3

Tom3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 10 April 2020 - 03:52 PM

That is what is called a set screw or grub screw. Hardware stores should have them and also a thread sizing device.  If you used a common screwdriver to work on the screw, you could also pick up a set of hex wrenches (also called Allen wrenches).

Tom

• btiedt likes this

#7 siriusandthepup

siriusandthepup

Apollo

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:24 AM

Unscrew the one you have left and take it to the Lowe's or Home Depot or Ace hardware store. These stores have replacements - ask the nice man to locate one for you.

smile.gif

Also - have you tried removing the polar scope to see if they are inside the mount? Just trying to save you trip in these isolation conditions.

Edited by siriusandthepup, 11 April 2020 - 08:26 AM.

• btiedt likes this

#8 T1R2

T1R2

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 11 April 2020 - 04:39 PM

luckily for me when I had trouble using those hex head screws to calibrate my Celestron Omini CG-4 ( 2016-ish model) Polar scope, I decided to see if those little ep thumb screws from all my .965 diagonals would fit and they did (they were all different yrs and manufactures from the 80's), made it easier to calibrate, but you have to be aware of hitting them and making them loose. It might work for you if they used the same thread

• btiedt likes this

#9 btiedt

btiedt

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:01 PM

Unscrew the one you have left and take it to the Lowe's or Home Depot or Ace hardware store. These stores have replacements - ask the nice man to locate one for you.

smile.gif

Also - have you tried removing the polar scope to see if they are inside the mount? Just trying to save you trip in these isolation conditions.

I was in quite the panic that night and this got me looking at it and realized the eye piece screwed out and the screws fell right out. Yeah! I sure hope calibrating the polar scope is worth all this trouble! 

Thank you everyone for your replies.

• siriusandthepup likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics