•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How should I proceed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 01:59 AM

Let's assume I will have 6 hours of imaging time available for one night. I plan on imaging M106 and would like to get 6 total hours of integration on the target. I will be using a OSC CMOS(ASI533MC Pro) The moon will be rising 3 hours into the imaging session. I will be imaging from our clubs dark site(Bortle 4/5) The weather forecast indicates these 6 hours will be the only time to image for the next 10 days. So I gotta get it done that night. I will use a Baader Moon and Skyglow Neodymium filter. Should I start out using the filter throughout the entire imaging session, or should I wait until the moon rises and then put in the filter. If it's better to wait to put the filter in, will that create any processing issues when it's time to combine filtered and unfiltered subs. My thinking is to start out with the filter and use it the entire imaging session. I'd love to hear input from those who have had to deal with the same issue.

#2 einarin

einarin

Vanguard

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:26 AM

I think you should image the whole time with filter. Or whole time without.

No point fiddling with filter change in middle of image session.

Besides, galaxies are less affected by moon interference than larger nebula targets.

#3 Huangdi

Huangdi

Ranger 4

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:08 AM

If you're at a bortle 4 site and don't have direct light pollution like street lights, I wouldn't use the filter. It will do more harm than good..

#4 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:16 AM

Let's assume I will have 6 hours of imaging time available for one night. I plan on imaging M106 and would like to get 6 total hours of integration on the target. I will be using a OSC CMOS(ASI533MC Pro) The moon will be rising 3 hours into the imaging session. I will be imaging from our clubs dark site(Bortle 4/5) The weather forecast indicates these 6 hours will be the only time to image for the next 10 days. So I gotta get it done that night. I will use a Baader Moon and Skyglow Neodymium filter. Should I start out using the filter throughout the entire imaging session, or should I wait until the moon rises and then put in the filter. If it's better to wait to put the filter in, will that create any processing issues when it's time to combine filtered and unfiltered subs. My thinking is to start out with the filter and use it the entire imaging session. I'd love to hear input from those who have had to deal with the same issue.

Where is the moon in relation to the target when it rises? Why must it be done in one night? What is your experience when shooting while the moon is up....do you get lots of gradients?

• OhmEye likes this

#5 birddog99

birddog99

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

Where is the moon in relation to the target when it rises? Why must it be done in one night? What is your experience when shooting while the moon is up....do you get lots of gradients?

The target will be approaching the meridian as the moon rises in the east. I'd say at least 80 degrees separation. Gradients do not present much of a problem imaging from this site. What gradients are present can be processed out. As far as why one night?. Lack of patience on my part. I know. No excuse. The weather here on the Gulf Coast(Houston) has been horrible. Also my job prevents me from staying up till the wee hours of the night unless of course I'm scheduled off the next day. With the reduced workforce in effect, my hours have increased and time off will be hard to get for the unforeseen future. And yes, I'm counting my blessings that I still have a job to go to.

#6 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:57 AM

The target will be approaching the meridian as the moon rises in the east. I'd say at least 80 degrees separation. Gradients do not present much of a problem imaging from this site. What gradients are present can be processed out. As far as why one night?. Lack of patience on my part. I know. No excuse. The weather here on the Gulf Coast(Houston) has been horrible. Also my job prevents me from staying up till the wee hours of the night unless of course I'm scheduled off the next day. With the reduced workforce in effect, my hours have increased and time off will be hard to get for the unforeseen future. And yes, I'm counting my blessings that I still have a job to go to.

I am not a fan of broadband LP filters so my default view is don't use one....that said, I'd shoot the whole session either with or without the filter

smile.gif

Edited by terry59, 12 April 2020 - 05:58 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics