•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you Ortho?

equipment eyepieces observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#1 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 10 April 2020 - 04:48 AM

Are you a fan of Orthoscopic eyepieces? I have a set of Fujiama oculars that I love. There is something about their small size, quality, and simplicity that rings my bell. Would love to hear about your experiences with these types of oculars. Especially why you might prefer these over other kinds of eyepieces. Thanks, Mark 

Edited by MarkGregory, 10 April 2020 - 04:49 AM.

• payner, Sasa, ShaulaB and 3 others like this

#2 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:06 AM

I have the Fujiyama 28mm.

• MarkGregory likes this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:21 AM

Yes, I ortho.

gallery_55742_4249_1407451147_27765.jpg

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• doctordub, SteveV, payner and 12 others like this

#4 JOEinCO

JOEinCO

Apollo

• Loc: Colorado Front Range

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:01 AM

I Ortho just a little. 

I have a University Optics 9mm Ortho that I really enjoy on the planets and the Moon. Bought it new back around 1990 and the love is still there. Crisp details. Razor sharp. grin.gif 

I will never sell my little baby regardless of what 37-element, 140° AFOV, 4-pound, Naglerificwonderglass comes along (no offense to Al - I like his stuff, too).

• izar187, MarkGregory, oldphysics and 2 others like this

#5 BradFran

BradFran

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:31 AM

5mm and 6mm U.O. volcano tops. As Joe said, very sharp and especially nice on the Moon.

• MarkGregory likes this

#6 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:37 AM

Yes, I ortho.

gallery_55742_4249_1407451147_27765.jpg

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Sweet. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:14 AM

Don't own any, but I am a fan.  A definite mainstay for any Planetary/Lunar viewer.

• MarkGregory likes this

#8 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:24 AM

I just got into them. I have some second hand older Celestrons, an Edscorp and a new 6mm Starbase, love them all so far. I may get some other Starbases soon!
  • MarkGregory likes this

#9 Jacques

Jacques

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:44 AM

Fujiyama 9 and 7, University Optics 6 HD and a BGO 5 here. I like them very much smile.gif

Edited by Jacques, 10 April 2020 - 07:47 AM.

• MarkGregory and BradFran like this

#10 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:11 AM

3 or 4 of various brands, all 60s -80s vintage.

I pop them in when tracking is not an issue (I use unpowered alt az mounts a lot), knowing I will get a reliably sharp and contrasty view across a reasonable portion of the field.

They never fail to satisfy.

But I more frequently use Naglers, TV plossls and, now, APM UFFs and XWAs depending on the goal for the session.

Ooops, I keep forgetting the best bargain on the market, two sets of near Abbe quality Baader BCOs in the Q turret sets. I bought them for the Maxbright binoviewer but won't use them until I relocate and rejoin my scopes.

• MarkGregory likes this

#11 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

3 or 4 of various brands, all 60s -80s vintage.

I pop them in when tracking is not an issue (I use unpowered alt az mounts a lot), knowing I will get a reliably sharp and contrasty view across a reasonable portion of the field.

They never fail to satisfy.

But I more frequently use Naglers, TV plossls and, now, APM UFFs and XWAs depending on the goal for the session.

Ooops, I keep forgetting the best bargain on the market, two sets of near Abbe quality Baader BCOs in the Q turret sets. I bought them for the Maxbright binoviewer but won't use them until I relocate and rejoin my scopes.

All sounds good. Regarding good......good luck with your move to Arizona. I grew up on Long Island - Kings Park. Moved to Florida and now North Carolina.  

• markb likes this

#12 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:34 AM

I can parlez vous ortho a little - my highest power eyepiece (which gives me around 330x with my 8" SCT) is a Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I love it's clarity, neutral tonality (noticeable when compared to my Tele Vue Plössls) and high contrast. When I was rebuilding my eyepiece case in 2016, I was on the fence deciding to go with mostly Tele Vue Plössls or Fujiama Orthos. I am mostly interested in 5-6mm up to 32mm, so the two sets have some overlap but "overhang" on the ends is different:

+------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--------+------+------+------+------+
| TV   |     |     |     |     | 8mm | 11mm   | 15mm | 20mm | 25mm | 32mm |
| Fuji | 4mm | 5mm | 6mm | 7mm | 9mm | 12.5mm |      | 18mm | 25mm |      |

For my 8" SCT (f/10), the Tele Vue focal lengths made more sense to me, so I went with those and filled out the bottom end with a lone Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I've been very happy with the arrangement. If I ever move to somewhere with awesome seeing, I'd consider picking up the 4mm and 5mm as well.

Eyepieces 2020

Rick

• Moondust, Jaimo!, Allan Wade and 1 other like this

#13 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:41 AM

I can parlez vous ortho a little - my highest power eyepiece (which gives me around 330x with my 8" SCT) is a Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I love it's clarity, neutral tonality (noticeable when compared to my Tele Vue Plössls) and high contrast. When I was rebuilding my eyepiece case in 2016, I was on the fence deciding to go with mostly Tele Vue Plössls or Fujiama Orthos. I am mostly interested in 5-6mm up to 32mm, so the two sets have some overlap but "overhang" on the ends is different:

| TV   |     |     |     |     | 8mm | 11mm   | 15mm | 20mm | 25mm | 32mm |
| Fuji | 4mm | 5mm | 6mm | 7mm | 9mm | 12.5mm |      | 18mm | 25mm |      |

For my 8" SCT (f/10), the Tele Vue focal lengths made more sense to me, so I went with those and filled out the bottom end with a lone Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I've been very happy with the arrangement. If I ever move to somewhere with awesome seeing, I'd consider picking up the 4mm and 5mm as well.

Rick

Well thought out group of oculars. Thanks for sharing your list and photo. Very cool. Mark

• bbqediguana and BradFran like this

#14 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

When I assembled my first set of eye pieces, I had University Optics orthos for high power (6mm, 9mm, 12.5mm).  I sold them when I changed to Naglers and Radians.  Then UO closed shop.  Ahhh!

I have, and use, two orthos now, a Pentax 18mm and a University Optics 25mm HD.  At home, I use Plossls for observing the moon and planets.

• Jaimo!, MarkGregory and bbqediguana like this

#15 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 April 2020 - 09:43 AM

Sometimes. Went through UO's and KK Fujiyama's before landing on TAO's. Not much of a planetary or lunar observer, I use them for close inspection of galaxies particularly when the object is near a brighter star that complicates the observation with an Ethos' wider field. I've always kept to the 12.5, 9 and 6mm focal lengths but I'm thinking I may give the longer orthos a shot one of these days.

• MarkGregory likes this

#16 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Aurora

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:11 AM

Umm let’s see.  I have 2 complete sets of the Tak Orthos, except the 4mm.  I have 2 Fujiyamas, a 25mm and 4mm.  Same with the circle Ts, 4mm and 25mm.  I have a complete set of the BGOs.  That’s just in 1 1/4 in.  In 0.965 I have 2 CZJs in 10mm and 16mm, and 3 in 25mm.  I have some circle Ts in 5mm, 12.5mm, and 18mm. and a complete set of the new Starbase Orthos.  I also have a bunch from the classic refractors I own, but I’m too lazy to go through and list them all.

I am an Ortho addict and don’t want treatment.

• Jaimo!, eros312, MarkGregory and 2 others like this

#17 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

Umm let’s see.  I have 2 complete sets of the Tak Orthos, except the 4mm.  I have 2 Fujiyamas, a 25mm and 4mm.  Same with the circle Ts, 4mm and 25mm.  I have a complete set of the BGOs.  That’s just in 1 1/4 in.  In 0.965 I have 2 CZJs in 10mm and 16mm, and 3 in 25mm.  I have some circle Ts in 5mm, 12.5mm, and 18mm. and a complete set of the new Starbase Orthos.  I also have a bunch from the classic refractors I own, but I’m too lazy to go through and list them all.

I am an Ortho addict and don’t want treatment.

You be the man. A real Ortho guy. 👍

• bbqediguana likes this

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:38 AM

When I use the refractors I use my orthos.  Don't have a lot, but those old 1950 Orthostars go with me every trip out.  My only "unique" orthos are the UO OPSs...Jupiter is green.

#19 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:55 AM

When I use the refractors I use my orthos.  Don't have a lot, but those old 1950 Orthostars go with me every trip out.  My only "unique" orthos are the UO OPSs...Jupiter is green.

Interesting that so many people have Orthos in their primary arsenal of oculars as regular go to eyepieces. 

#20 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:55 AM

I used to ortho, but these days I’m just DeLited. 

• Astrojensen, eros312, Paul Morow and 4 others like this

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

I'm not an ortho type. I've owned some, in theory still own a set though I'd have to call them back from someone who's had them for close to 10 years.

They're not a good match for my scopes and mounts and don't fit my observing style. Optically, there's not enough eye relief in the shorter focal lengths i normally use to observe the planet's and double stars and the narrow field is poorly suited for star hopping and manual tracking.

I do have some fond memories of 18mm and 25mm in an RV-6 and slower old school refractors. 

Jon

• CollinofAlabama, stevew, MarkGregory and 1 other like this

#22 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:29 AM

I used to ortho, but these days I’m just DeLited. 

I am Delited also. Love them. 

• Doug Culbertson likes this

#23 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

I ortho.

In the NYC light dome, planetary observing is always an option, and I frequently use driven mounts.  I find a set of orthos compliment a set of wide field eyepieces in my eyepiece case.  I have used the UO HD and MRG for years, and have very fond memories of both sets, but currently using and hopefully finally decided on a final set, the Pentax SMC's.  I've tried other 'less glass' designs for planetary, Plossls and RKE's, but find both inferior to the Abbe design. 

Meade Series II Orthos:

Meade Series2 Ortho - Small.jpg

University Optics HD:

UO HD Orthos.jpg

Orion Explore(r?) Orthos:

Orion Orthos - small.jpg

Meade Research Grade Orthos:

Meade RG Orthos.jpg

Pentax SMC Orthos (and a couple of XP's):

Pentax Planetaries 2.jpg

• izar187, payner, Jim Curry and 10 others like this

#24 barbie

barbie

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 10 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

Yes, I Ortho!!  Tak Abbe and TOE's here.

• WilRobinson, bbqediguana and cloudypatio like this

#25 Dave1066

Dave1066

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South West, UK.

Posted 10 April 2020 - 12:34 PM

Yes I Ortho, see my signature! 

• MarkGregory likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, eyepieces, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics