•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you Ortho?

equipment eyepieces observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#51 hoof

hoof

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Monroe, WA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

I was waiting for the SMC to make an appearance! Very nice glass. How much of a step up would you rate them over the U.O. HDs?

I went from a Televue Nagler 3-6mm to UO orthos 4-7mm to TMB SMCs 4-7mm. Each was a step up from the last. I still own the SMC's, and recently reacquired the zoom (it's so useful, and better off axis on my fast scopes). 

The difference is slight, though. On Jupiter I found the orthos could go about 1mm lower than the zoom, and the SMCs about a smidge better.  The moon was closer in comparison, less of a benefit.

Never selling the SMCs. Will have to pry them from my cold dead hands

• payner likes this

#52 213Cobra

213Cobra

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:09 AM

The full Tele-Vue DeLite set, plus the full Takahashi TOE set, are as close as I get to full Ortho, which is more than close enough indeed. Well, one more: I have a vintage Takahashi 18mm Ortho as an anchor in the undisputed thing

Phil

Edited by 213Cobra, 11 April 2020 - 07:47 PM.

• Sasa likes this

#53 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:22 AM

I actually have many more orthos than the full 0.965" KK set I showed in my first post. 

My total ortho collection consists of:

Tani volcano top 1.25" orthos: 4; 5; 6; 7; 9; 12.5; 18; 25; with the 9, 12.5, 18 and 25 in pairs for binoviewing.

Kokusai Kohki 0.965" orthos: 4; 5; 6; 7; 9; 12.5; 18 and 25

Zeiss 0.965" orthos: 9mm pre-WW1; 6mm chromed brass barrel; 10mm chromed brass barrel; 2x 10mm aluminum barrel; 16mm chromed brass barrel, 16mm aluminum barrel.

4mm unknown 0.965"

6mm Baader Classic Ortho 1.25"

So yeah, I definitely ortho, though in practice not as much as I used to. I prefer wide angle eyepieces for deep-sky and variable stars now, but I have begun using my orthos more for binoviewing lunar-planetary again lately. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• SteveV, Corcaroli78, SandyHouTex and 2 others like this

#54 luxo II

luxo II

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 11 April 2020 - 02:38 AM

Yes, I do ortho... but not in the same league as others...

Attached Thumbnails

• Fjiyama HD.jpg

Edited by luxo II, 11 April 2020 - 03:06 AM.

• payner, Jaimo!, SandyHouTex and 6 others like this

#55 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:12 AM

Fantastic collections, as shown by Allan, Terra and Sasa!

I can't compete with my single picked orthos, but still feeling happy.

Would love to hear experiences of anyone with fast scopes, let's say under f/5 with orthos.

Edit: With and without tracking is another variable, with tracking in my case so just wondering about performance right around the center.

Hello Steve,

my telescope is the 6" F/5 Synta achro, not counting the F/4 telelenses I used to convert into the small fast scopes in past.

Never had a problem with the orthos, and especially the old Carl Zeiss Jena 16-O is my "Wow Sixteen".

The only designs which compete with the Abbe orthos on my fast refractor are in the shorter focus lengths the unobtainable TMB Supermonocentric (f=8mm)*, the Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition (f=3.6mm), and the Pentax SMC XO 2.5

But they become the winners when I mount a prism on my refractor.

)* When compared with another top eyepiece, the old Pentax SMC O-9 Abbe ortho

Best,

JG

• SandyHouTex, Steve Harris, Sasa and 1 other like this

#56 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Advance, North Carolina

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:53 AM

I ortho.

In the NYC light dome, planetary observing is always an option, and I frequently use driven mounts.  I find a set of orthos compliment a set of wide field eyepieces in my eyepiece case.  I have used the UO HD and MRG for years, and have very fond memories of both sets, but currently using and hopefully finally decided on a final set, the Pentax SMC's.  I've tried other 'less glass' designs for planetary, Plossls and RKE's, but find both inferior to the Abbe design. 

Meade Series II Orthos:

attachicon.gifMeade Series2 Ortho - Small.jpg

University Optics HD:

attachicon.gifUO HD Orthos.jpg

Orion Explore(r?) Orthos:

attachicon.gifOrion Orthos - small.jpg

Meade Research Grade Orthos:

attachicon.gifMeade RG Orthos.jpg

Pentax SMC Orthos (and a couple of XP's):

attachicon.gifPentax Planetaries 2.jpg

Fantastic collection of what can probably be described as the best of the best in Orthoscopic oculars. I think we need to give you a new name, “Ortho Man.” Lol Mark

#57 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:55 AM

I have been DeLited for several years now too!

I still keep a nice set of orthos around as a good reference and the older orthos are something special. If you find a good clean example of a vintage ortho it might be worth a look. Some of those old orthos have really surprised me with their stunning optics and impressive build quality.

I just acquired a pair 25mm Takahashi Abbes for the binoviewer and they are wonderful performers!

Love it. Looks like a wonderful collection. Enjoy. Mark

Edited by MarkGregory, 11 April 2020 - 03:56 AM.

#58 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:32 AM

I started with several UO orthos. To my mind, they were some of the best value you could get at the time. I graduated to a set of used Brandon’s in excellent condition. They are my goto planetary eps, or when I travel light. I am especially fond if the 24 mm Brandon, which compared very well in a head to head with a Clave 25 mm. I also own an Orion 20 mm Ortho that is excellent as well. A very nice design in the right scope.

Jmd
  • BradFran likes this

#59 Faber

Faber

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:43 AM

Orthoscopic? Yes I do!
I use with a lot of fun old Pentax SMC orthoscopic eyepieces in my Takahashi Fc100dl and also in other telescopes .
I used also other ortho in a binoviewer but not yet in a binoscope, I’ve to try.
Regards
  • BradFran likes this

#60 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:35 AM

I'm slowly building a set of Takahashi Abbe Orthoscopic eyepieces. So far, I have the 32, 18, 12.5, and 9mm. I typically use them when pull the 80mm refractor out.  They just feel right in that telescope. I've never had the urge to try them in the Dobsonian. I use them in the C8 on rare occasions. 

#61 olivier737

olivier737

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Europe

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:19 AM

I Ortho as well. Taka and Zeiss. But also TMB Supermonocentric wink.gif. I use these eyepieces for my planetary observations with a Mak-Cass 300 and a bino Zeiss-Baader. Wonderful images!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3599.jpg
  • IMG_3615.jpg
  • IMG_3616.jpg
  • IMG_3618.jpg

Edited by olivier737, 11 April 2020 - 08:21 AM.

• payner, Jaimo!, deepwoods1 and 9 others like this

#62 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

I can parlez vous ortho a little - my highest power eyepiece (which gives me around 330x with my 8" SCT) is a Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I love it's clarity, neutral tonality (noticeable when compared to my Tele Vue Plössls) and high contrast. When I was rebuilding my eyepiece case in 2016, I was on the fence deciding to go with mostly Tele Vue Plössls or Fujiama Orthos. I am mostly interested in 5-6mm up to 32mm, so the two sets have some overlap but "overhang" on the ends is different:

+------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+--------+------+------+------+------+
| TV   |     |     |     |     | 8mm | 11mm   | 15mm | 20mm | 25mm | 32mm |
| Fuji | 4mm | 5mm | 6mm | 7mm | 9mm | 12.5mm |      | 18mm | 25mm |      |

For my 8" SCT (f/10), the Tele Vue focal lengths made more sense to me, so I went with those and filled out the bottom end with a lone Fujiyama 6mm ortho. I've been very happy with the arrangement. If I ever move to somewhere with awesome seeing, I'd consider picking up the 4mm and 5mm as well.

Rick

OH! In another thread ("Do you Ortho?"), I noticed a pic of Allan Wade's Takahashi Abbes and saw they have the extra 32mm eyepiece that the Fujiyamas lack. Perhaps that will be my next eyepiece set? If so, I'd better start saving! :)

TV TAK Spreadsheet

Rick

• MarkGregory, Allan Wade and Ohmless like this

#63 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:06 AM

Is that a 25mm, 16mm, 10mm, and 6mm?

One of the things I like, other than Zeiss made them, is that two of them are unusual focal lengths.  I don’t think any of the other zillion eyepieces I have are 16mm or 10mm, and the 10mm makes calculating the magnification easy, peasy.

Nice case too.  Do you make those?

Yes, they are the 25, 16, 10, and 6mm Orthos. These are the earlier DDR ones made in heavy brass. I also used to have the 25mm and 16mm CZJ Huygenian DDR made eyepieces but I sold them as thr Orthos made them redundant and while the a Huygenian CZJs were very nice, the Orthos have better color correction, wider fields, and are a tad sharper. The case is a repurposed Coronado Cemax eyepiece case.

I use my Zeiss and other orthos with prism diagonals in my F8 and longer refractors, especially for planetary, lunar, solar, and double star viewing. My favorite platforms for them are my Zeiss T1 Telementor and my Tak FC60 and FC76.

Edited by Terra Nova, 11 April 2020 - 10:17 AM.

• SandyHouTex likes this

#64 olivier737

olivier737

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Europe

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:15 AM

One of the things I like, other than Zeiss made them, is that two of them are unusual focal lengths.  

Which focal lengths are you talking about? Can you be more precise?

#65 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Under the Blue Moon of Kentucky

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

Which focal lengths are you talking about? Can you be more precise?

He’s talking about the 25, 16, 10, and 6mm CZJ orthos.

#66 ewave

ewave

Surveyor 1

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 11 April 2020 - 11:10 AM

Yes, occasionally when using my binoviewers.

I have a pair of 18mm BCOs and usually use them during planet season in my SCT.

They can also achieve focus in my short fast APO without GCPs and enjoy some wide field viewing.

These orthos were chosen due to my small IPD and give very pleasant eye relief, sharpness and magnification. 

Clear skies.

• markb likes this

#67 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

I Ortho as well. Taka and Zeiss. But also TMB Supermonocentric wink.gif. I use these eyepieces for my planetary observations with a Mak-Cass 300 and a bino Zeiss-Baader. Wonderful images!

Beeeeeeeeeeeutiful. 👍👍👍👍👍

#68 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:34 PM

OH! In another thread ("Do you Ortho?"), I noticed a pic of Allan Wade's Takahashi Abbes and saw they have the extra 32mm eyepiece that the Fujiyamas lack. Perhaps that will be my next eyepiece set? If so, I'd better start saving! smile.gif

Rick

Let’s keep our fingers crossed, maybe Fujiama will produce a 32. That would really be super cool. I just ordered my last two, when they arrive I will have a complete set. A 32 would really be icing on the cake.

Edited by MarkGregory, 11 April 2020 - 01:37 PM.

• bbqediguana and 25585 like this

#69 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 11 April 2020 - 03:37 PM

Re Izar's post, Orthos do well in all of my f5 late sixties Jaeger's achromats.

Also, with the short fl I can use the 12mm in the manual alt az without a problem (but only a green laser gets me on the target, less fussy than finders). The fields are reasonably wide for push to follow.

Can't do that on the ETX125 or C8 due to the loooong fl and narrow fields.

Edited by markb, 11 April 2020 - 03:39 PM.

#70 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 11 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

OH! In another thread ("Do you Ortho?"), I noticed a pic of Allan Wade's Takahashi Abbes and saw they have the extra 32mm eyepiece that the Fujiyamas lack. Perhaps that will be my next eyepiece set? If so, I'd better start saving! smile.gif

WAAAAAAAIT a minute... I just experienced forum inception. This *IS* the "Do you Ortho?" thread!!!

Where am I? Whose kidneys are these?!

#71 jack45

jack45

Gemini

• Loc: Lacey WA

Posted 11 April 2020 - 07:08 PM

I have a pair Takahashi Starbase 14MM & 18mm 1.25" Ortho eyepieces coming, binoviewing. They help you zoom in on objects, love Ortho eps. Using the tel vue 7.4mm, 10.5mm & 13mm smooth side eps right now, they work great. Tel vue 2x barlow. 

Clear Skies! 

• MarkGregory and BradFran like this

#72 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:08 PM

I do ORTHO! although I came to Orthos rather late in my observing life.  

Currently I have 4, 6, 9, 12.5 and 18mm Fujiyamas (which I find quite excellent BTW) and I came to have them via a rather odd and twisted path. Today - I am an eyepiece-a-holic, but it wasn't allways like that.

First, some history. I got my first scope at about age 12 - a 60mm vari-power refractor that I modified by removing the internal erecting lenses, shortening the tube, and attaching a zoom microscope eyepiece.  I lusted after the various scopes in S&T that I would read at the local library.  Dreamed of having a Unitron or a Cave or - well any "real" scope - and have a set of Orthos as they were supposed to be the best. Obviously my world was a lot simpler back then and I didn't know of or understand "eye-relief" or things like that. Needless to say - I didn't get any other scope besides my tube-shortened, microscope zoom eyepiece alt-az 60mm refractor, and I didn't buy any other eyepieces either.  (BTW that little scope did launch a passion that continues to this day).

My first serious (adult) scope was a 10" Eq-mounted newtonian and I had a 25mm Kellner, and 32 & 13mm TV Smoothie Plossls (I still have and use the Plossls). Those where my only eyepieces for many years. I bought the TV Plossls in 1982.

When I got one of the Altair 102mm F11 ED scopes last year I started doing more lunar and double star observing.  Used the TV Plossls (I also have 20, 15, 11, and 8mm modern TV Plossls) but I wanted a little higher power than the 8mm TV - so I bought a 6mm Fujiyama.  Really liked the view.  

Then I got the itch for a zoom eyepiece as it seemed I was switching eyepieces a lot, especially doing Lunar observing.   But I needed something around 6mm and the TV 3-6 zoom seemed  to be too high a magnification, and things like the Baader 8-24 too low (and I don't get along with Barlows). So - instead of a zoom eyepiece I bought an old Celestron/Vixen 1.25 turret and used the 6mm Fuji, with the 8, 11, & 15 TV Plossls as a surrogate for a zoom eyepiece.  Gotta say - I really liked the result.

BUT - the 6mm Fuji is far from parfocal with the TV Plossls. I could have used parfocal rings on the TVs in the turret but I use the Plossls with other scopes occasionally and didn't want to do that, besides.......as I said: I'm an eyepiece-a-holic. So - I decided to buy more Orthos (as I really liked the 6mm and the set would be parfocal).  First added the 4, 9, and 12.5 - then later the 18. I'll switch out the 4 for 18 if I use the turret on one of the Maks but the 4 - 12mm set works great for lunar, planetary, and double stars with the 102mm ED. The eye relief has not been a problem for me.  In retrospect, I could have bought the TV 3-6 zoom and used it with the Plossls in the turret for about the same $$$$. Oh well.

With other scopes, I have other eyepieces to use - so the Orthos are used mainly in the 80mm and 102mm refractors, or the 90 or 125mm Maks  - which are the scopes I most often use for lunar, planetary, and double stars from the light polluted back yard. When I take the 16" to a dark(er) site I'll usually take the Naglers or ES 82's - although it sounds like I should try the Orthos with the Dob when doing galaxies. I need to try that.

In summary - a long twisted path to eventually obtain eyepieces like those I dreamed about when in my early teens. 

So, a long story, but YES! I DO ORTHO!

Edited by Don Taylor, 11 April 2020 - 08:13 PM.

• Sasa, MarkGregory, bbqediguana and 2 others like this

#73 MarkGregory

MarkGregory

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 April 2020 - 03:21 AM

I do ORTHO! although I came to Orthos rather late in my observing life.  

Currently I have 4, 6, 9, 12.5 and 18mm Fujiyamas (which I find quite excellent BTW) and I came to have them via a rather odd and twisted path. Today - I am an eyepiece-a-holic, but it wasn't allways like that.

First, some history. I got my first scope at about age 12 - a 60mm vari-power refractor that I modified by removing the internal erecting lenses, shortening the tube, and attaching a zoom microscope eyepiece.  I lusted after the various scopes in S&T that I would read at the local library.  Dreamed of having a Unitron or a Cave or - well any "real" scope - and have a set of Orthos as they were supposed to be the best. Obviously my world was a lot simpler back then and I didn't know of or understand "eye-relief" or things like that. Needless to say - I didn't get any other scope besides my tube-shortened, microscope zoom eyepiece alt-az 60mm refractor, and I didn't buy any other eyepieces either.  (BTW that little scope did launch a passion that continues to this day).

My first serious (adult) scope was a 10" Eq-mounted newtonian and I had a 25mm Kellner, and 32 & 13mm TV Smoothie Plossls (I still have and use the Plossls). Those where my only eyepieces for many years. I bought the TV Plossls in 1982.

When I got one of the Altair 102mm F11 ED scopes last year I started doing more lunar and double star observing.  Used the TV Plossls (I also have 20, 15, 11, and 8mm modern TV Plossls) but I wanted a little higher power than the 8mm TV - so I bought a 6mm Fujiyama.  Really liked the view.  

Then I got the itch for a zoom eyepiece as it seemed I was switching eyepieces a lot, especially doing Lunar observing.   But I needed something around 6mm and the TV 3-6 zoom seemed  to be too high a magnification, and things like the Baader 8-24 too low (and I don't get along with Barlows). So - instead of a zoom eyepiece I bought an old Celestron/Vixen 1.25 turret and used the 6mm Fuji, with the 8, 11, & 15 TV Plossls as a surrogate for a zoom eyepiece.  Gotta say - I really liked the result.

BUT - the 6mm Fuji is far from parfocal with the TV Plossls. I could have used parfocal rings on the TVs in the turret but I use the Plossls with other scopes occasionally and didn't want to do that, besides.......as I said: I'm an eyepiece-a-holic. So - I decided to buy more Orthos (as I really liked the 6mm and the set would be parfocal).  First added the 4, 9, and 12.5 - then later the 18. I'll switch out the 4 for 18 if I use the turret on one of the Maks but the 4 - 12mm set works great for lunar, planetary, and double stars with the 102mm ED. The eye relief has not been a problem for me.  In retrospect, I could have bought the TV 3-6 zoom and used it with the Plossls in the turret for about the same $$$$. Oh well.

With other scopes, I have other eyepieces to use - so the Orthos are used mainly in the 80mm and 102mm refractors, or the 90 or 125mm Maks  - which are the scopes I most often use for lunar, planetary, and double stars from the light polluted back yard. When I take the 16" to a dark(er) site I'll usually take the Naglers or ES 82's - although it sounds like I should try the Orthos with the Dob when doing galaxies. I need to try that.

In summary - a long twisted path to eventually obtain eyepieces like those I dreamed about when in my early teens. 

So, a long story, but YES! I DO ORTHO!

Totally loved reading about your history with Telescopes and Orthos. Also picked up some good tips on observing with Orthos. I’ll bet others enjoyed your post as well. Stay safe. Mark

#74 Deep13

Deep13

Aurora

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

Sure: ZAO2s and for binos Japanese HD orthos and CZJs.
  • Ohmless likes this

#75 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:09 AM

You can never have enough orthos,

as they easily catch dew on the cold nights,

and then you need a replacement ortho!

JG

• Jon Isaacs, Jaimo! and SandyHouTex like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, eyepieces, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics