•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do you Ortho?

equipment eyepieces observing optics
  • Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#176 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:35 PM

I do wish the Fujiyamas came with eye cups or guards! 

I used to think that too. My 6mm Fujiyama is the oddball of my eyepiece set in that it is the only one without an eye guard. And I'm a "contact" observer - I like to have part of my head in contact with the eyepiece versus hovering. I've always been that way.

However, I find with the 6mm Fujiyama that it's not a problem - I tend to put the upper part of my orbital bone (???) in contact with the edge of the eyepiece top and it just works wonderfully. I would not be able to do that with a volcano top. I've used the Fujiyama likely over 100 times now, and I've never sat back and wished it had an eye guard.

To each their own, tho - I know I'm "special" (cause Mama always told me that!). :)

Eyepieces 2020

Rick

• nerich, N3p, j.gardavsky and 1 other like this

#177 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:14 PM

I do wish the Fujiyamas came with eye cups or guards! 

That’s one of the reasons I dislike volcano top Orthos so much. Too much peripheral stray light. It becomes obvious when you do comparisons with the Tak Abbes which have a very good eye guard system. I modified my ZAO II’s with rubber eye guards so they perform the same as my Tak Abbes now. Agena Astro sell them in a few different sizes. I then sourced some 365 size top caps that fit over the eye guard. I think I used 8mm TeleVue Plossl caps.

https://agenaastro.c...id-29mm-gs.html

• 3 i Guy, nerich, Ohmless and 1 other like this

#178 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:55 AM

I find them more comfortable than flat top.

Eyepieces

• CollinofAlabama, payner, bbqediguana and 2 others like this

#179 markb

markb

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:03 AM

I've been using a mono Spotslicker Bandit, similar to the Binobandit, to give me a comfortable, adjustable, soft lightshield.

An excellent solution for the eyepieces with too much eyerelief, Beats any eyeguard I've used.

Unexpectedly, it even stretched enough for my 13mm smoothie Nagler, and gave my the contact points (as Rick mentions, above) to keep me in the kidneybean-less sweet spot more easily.

Edited by markb, 21 April 2020 - 09:04 AM.

• bbqediguana and nerich like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, eyepieces, observing, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics