•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did I find the Atlas comet?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rhetfield

rhetfield

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:36 AM

Was out last night (Thursday). I know I was looking in the right spot. Saw an object in the right location. Using a 5" F5 dob in bortle 7 skies, I saw a slightly greenish object that looked more like a star than a fuzzy at 65 mag. Problem is that my limited phone app shows an unidentified star almost on top of the comet. I only saw one object there. Which one was it?
  • Astroman007 likes this

#2 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:38 PM

I cannot confirm I saw it but noted the position as of last evening was near the star 1 Lynx maybe 2 or 3 minutes due east.  I was using my 10X42 Canon IS binoculars.  I could see a hazy spot with averted vision.  I am in Bortle 8-9 sky.  As I said, this would be a possible detection but would need follow up.  The general direction is nearly equal distance between Polaris and Capella but not a perfect straight line between them.  I was estimating about 1 degree above the straight line and nearly in the middle of that straight line but a bit closer to Capella.  Again, east from the reddish star 1 Lynx and near 36 Cam.  It is listed in Camelopardalis.  I was looking in Sky Safari 6 Pro on my phone.  Others with bigger scopes can pinpoint for sure but if it is 6th magnitude, it is faint.  

Charlie

#3 asterope62

asterope62

Vostok 1

• Loc: Brigham City, Utah

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:27 PM

I observed it last night with my 12" dob, it was pretty faint, I don't see how anyone could view it with binoculars,  unless they were really large. In order to confirm that it was the comet that I saw, and not some faint fuzzy that's not listed on my star charts, I looked at it again an hour later and it had moved.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics