•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Microscope ID Needed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

I picked this microscope up 2nd hand about a 18 months ago, and just got around to cleaning it up a bit today.

The internal bulb needed to be replaced, and by luck I found one that works that was pulled out of a old IKEA lamp fixture I purchased about 15-20 years ago. I'm sure its the wrong bulb, but its at least working. The original bulb I'm sure was brighter, and I'm hoping to find the correct wattage bulb that should be used.

Here are some pics of the microscope in question, Does anyone know who may have made it? I can not find any brand markings on it. There was some glue on the body where I think a emblem may have fell off.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

With some minor cleaning I have got it working pretty good now, and was just looking at some pre-prepared slides I have. The view was pretty impressive, (at least to me). 

The reason I believe it needs a higher powered bulb, is that when I have the bulb intensity turned all the way up, and when using the highest powered lens, it is still pretty dull in brightness. With the lower powered lenses I could adjust the bulb power to a brightness that works well.

If I could find its maker, I'm hoping I could also find the recommended bulb.

I'm sure my terminology is off but it has a 2 speed gear for the focal adjustment with one being a micro adjust, it has a slider knob for the bulb brightness, and another knob to focus the light from the bulb. It also has two knobs that move the position of the slide with the plate that holds it. It seems to be fairly well built.

I can post more photos of specific parts if needed.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 April 2020 - 08:29 PM.

#2 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 April 2020 - 06:49 PM

Here are a few others picked up 2nd hand over the years mostly for parts that I also plan to try and clean up. They were all found at the local goodwill, for under 5$ each, the only exception to that price is the large one I asked about above and pictured again to the left of the below photo. (This one is a keeper, as its the nicest one I ever brought home).

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

I have pieced together a few in the past that have been sold, but only when they are working very well. Also sometimes the metal knobs will fit a more modern telescope focuser.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 April 2020 - 08:31 PM.

#3 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 April 2020 - 08:40 AM

I no longer need a ID, after about 1 1/2 hours of searching through internet photos this morning I just finally found what it is.

Its a SEILER WESTLAB MICROSCOPE, here is a link to the photo found with the ID:

http://www.wemed1.co...icroscope-44688

And another with the same color power switch

https://www.ebay.com...ItemCondition=4

I found the bulb also which is what I was looking for, it takes a 20watt 6 volt Halogen Bulb.

It ended up being another neat goodwill find, I think I payed about $40 for. Now that I have it cleaned up I plan to purchase the correct bulb and start using it.

Edited by Mbinoc, 11 April 2020 - 09:45 AM.

• jmclaugh2001 and bsavoie like this

#4 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 April 2020 - 07:16 PM

I got around to cleaning up the Vintage Propper Microscope today Instead of using the mirror, I had a little battery powered Led light that was picked up several months ago at the dollar store. I just have it balanced laying on top of the mirror.

IMG_7053.JPG

I'm really surprised at how well it performs.

Edited by Mbinoc, 19 April 2020 - 07:20 PM.

• starbob1 and Tropobob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics