•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

(Borg) Binoscope vs (APM) binoculars - user experiences?

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#76 Grimnir

Grimnir

Apollo

• Loc: London, England.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:52 PM

Superlative report Pinac!

Graham

#77 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

• Loc: Switzerland

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:25 AM

Thank you for your kind feedback, Rich, Kenny, Rick, Elan and Graham!!

Pinac

#78 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 02 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Corrigendum

I wrote in post # 64 above that 

.... „each tube  [is] fitted with a Kasai dual-speed focuser (similar to the famous “Feathertouch” type)“ ....

Beat Kohler, owner of AOK, read my review and advised me that the Kasai focusers on my Borg are built according to the the classical Crayfort design, and that the Feathertouch focuser (insiders apparently call it FTF) follows another construction principle and is „in a class of its own“.

Me culpa!

Pinac

#79 old_enough

old_enough

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

Hi all,

belated congratulations Pinac to your Borg/Matsumoto/AOKswiss bino! 

Recently I was able to upgrade my existing Borg 71FL bino to an instrument with Borg's 90FL lenses, very similar to Pinac's. I had the same EMS-UM on the previous bino, so apart from the lenses I only had to change some tubing and tube rings.

Main differences are the focusers and the mount. As my main goal still is portability I use a single arm fork originally designed for the APM 100 mm binoculars. I had to make a custom adapter but this was quite straightforward, using a 3D design app and a machining service provider. The M57 helical focusers which had no trouble at all with the lighter 71FL lenses do struggle a bit with the load of EMS and eyepiece (about 1 kg/2.2 lb).

The tripod used is a Berlebach Report 292 (2 leg sections, 40 mm geared center column), which is considerably lighter than the UNI version with the same center column. I'm still not finished with my eyepiece selection. For now there are 6 pairs (I'd like to reduce to 4 or 5) and they are carried in a modified laptop bag. 

Mostly I use Docter/Noblex 12,5mm UWAs, giving me 40x magnification and 2.2 degrees of true field. APM's 30 mm UltraFlat eyepieces allow for about 4.3 degrees true field and (for the moon only) I sometimes use a pair of 2.5 mm TeleVue Nagler 6, reaching 200x magnification. The setup is slightly more prone to vibrations than the former lighter 71FL incarnation but still very stable. 

My setup looks a bit messy compared to Pinac's beautiful bino because I had to mount the AOKswiss platform above the tubes for using the single arm fork. But now the bino, some eyepieces and the upper part of the mount fit into a carry-on sized semi-rigid case, which can be carried as a rucksack. So I can walk quite some distance carrying everything I need.

For me, this is the maximum flexibility and quality I can comfortably handle. Now I hope the wheather over here in Europe gets better so I can make more use of it.

Best,

Sebastian

IMG_2686 (1).jpeg

IMG_2684.jpeg

IMG_2690.jpeg

Edited by old_enough, 22 January 2021 - 11:27 AM.

• Mark9473, alpha_centauri, ArsMachina and 5 others like this

#80 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

• Loc: Lancashire UK

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:08 PM

Borg instruments always appear to exude a certain quality that makes them stand out from the others.

It helps that I'm particularly fond of sheer black for all optical instruments!

#81 Pinac

Pinac

Apollo

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:33 AM

My setup looks a bit messy compared to Pinac's beautiful bino because I had to mount the AOKswiss platform above the tubes for using the single arm fork. .....

Well, doesn't look "messy" to me, I would rather call it innovative - with the platform above the tubes instead of below, I wouldn't even have thought of it.

Congratulations !!!

I am sure you will love your great Borg binoscope as much as I do. I do also enjoy my other binoscopes, but based on the experience with the Borg, with its incredibly easy conditional alignment of the tubes allowing for high magnifications, I will not invest in anything without EMS (or similar) in the future.

Pinac

#82 old_enough

old_enough

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:36 AM

Thank you, Pinac!

Right now I try to design a custom mount arm to further optimize balance and stability. If portability was no issue I would surely opt for a fluid head. My Manfrotto N12 works very smooth with a Vixen BT-81S and should be more than sufficient for the weight of the Borg bino. 

Once a colleague and I did a comparison between the APM 70mm and my Borg 71FL bino. For wide angle observations it is quite difficult to find differences between both instruments. With Panoptik 24mm eyepieces in both I found the image only ever so slightly more contrasty in my 71FL bino. The differences became more pronounced when surpassing an entrance pupil smaller than 1mm. 

So in general, if you don't plan to use magnifications greater than the diameter of your instrument, an APM binocular might be sufficient, especially in the SD variants. If you want to find the last bits of quality and/or want to also use higher magnifications, a binotelescope with high quality components will be the only option.

Best,

Sebastian

• alpha_centauri likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics