•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Starfinder 10"

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 Grounddweller

Grounddweller

Explorer 1

• Loc: Mid-Atlantic Coast, U.S.A.

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:00 PM

These are pretty simple scopes and if the primary and secondary look good you have a decent chance of making it work. If the focuser is original it is not something that you will want to use. I would make sure the sonotube is undamaged.
  • Bomber Bob and Rick-T137 like this

#77 McGarnicle

McGarnicle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 29 December 2020 - 09:15 PM

These are pretty simple scopes and if the primary and secondary look good you have a decent chance of making it work. If the focuser is original it is not something that you will want to use. I would make sure the sonotube is undamaged.

Thanks, unfortunately looks like the scope sold immediately as the ad disappeared and the guy didn’t respond. No surprise. Back to hitting refresh... grin.gif

#78 colinrasmussen

colinrasmussen

Lift Off

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:55 PM

So then I hauled this beast to the backyard and zeroed the star finder on the tip of a power pole.  

Wish I could say that everything went great, but that wasn't the case.  I couldn't find anything decent to look at, couldn't get the eyepiece into a good position, and I sheared the bolt on the forward strap!  Who designed those?  Ridiculous.  Not a good first attempt.

But fast forward to this morning...

I woke up at 0330 - couldn't sleep so I went to the garage.  Opened the door, tied the scope to the mount (which is much more secure than it was last night!) and look what I found

I stargazed from 0400 right until 0700.

I saw the rings of Saturn for the first time.

I saw the bands on Jupiter, and its moons for the first time.

I saw a double star.

I showed a morning jogger Saturn and blew his mind.

And I saw the moon with greater clarity than every before.  Cell phone pic through the lens:

Overall impression of the scope is that I love it!  I had been trying to find an XT8 but this thing is the best.  Once you get that incredibly heavy base in position it works like a dream.  The balance is excellent and it moves easily.  The drive motor works flawlessly and I don't know if I could do without one now.  I'd put a planet into the eyepiece, go get a cup of coffee, and it would still be centered 10 minutes later! 

That said, there are a couple of issues.  First is the focus adjuster.  I'd read that it was a POS and thought it would be fine, but trying to dial in the focus with a 9mm lens was tough.  If there are suggestions for a good focuser that is less than $100 (preferably closer to $50) I'd love to hear it.

Second is the straps.  No way am I paying $200+ for a set of rings, but something needs to happen.  I'm thinking pelican hook and small turnbuckle, but will see what I can find at the hardware store.  The rope works really well, but isn't a very elegant solution.

I'd also love to get a clearer picture at higher zoom, but understand that with a short focal point this may not be possible?  My best images were using the 2x barlow and 25mm lens.  The 2 x 12mm lens started to get a little blurry, and with the 9mm it was impossible to hit the focus point just right.  Would a 3x barlow help or am I at my limit?

Very happy overall.  Any suggestions of what I should look for tonight?  

I had one of these years ago. Great scope. I hated the two bands that secure to the mount. Found that when you wanted to turn the tube to keep the eyepiece at a convenient spot they were a real nuisance. I had a metal shop form me a short "tube" out of sheet aluminum to work as a cradle for the OTA. It was a little wider than the attachments on the mounts where the bands go. It was split on one side and I had them flange the ends of the tube upwards to create tabs the length of the cradle. Drilled holes to correspond with the holes in the mount where the bands attached. Then drilled a hole near each end of the flanges and inserted screws with nuts you could turn with your fingers - knurled knobs. Line the interior of the aluminum tube with felt.  Was much more stable than those bands - just loosen the screws a little, turn the tube, retighten. Wish I had pictures of it - it was pretty slick. 

• Bomber Bob likes this

#79 Gil V

Gil V

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:00 AM

Although those straps are odd, they are easy to use, and never failed in the 20+ years I owned mine.

#80 cavedweller

cavedweller

Lift Off

• Loc: Ridgecrest, CA

Posted 05 January 2021 - 12:50 AM

One of my straps broke at the pins, too, but only after about 10 years of steady use. I bought my Meade 10" Starfinder new in 1994 with the AC clock drive. Today, I still use the OTA on an Orion Atlas mount attached using Parallax rings (mounted upside down) and a Losmandy dovetail bar. I upgraded the focuser and finder. I had the mirror recoated a couple of years ago.

• Bomber Bob and Skiims like this

#81 Skiims

Skiims

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

Hey Lift Off: I would love to see a photo or your rig. I am in a similar situation and need to remount.

#82 cavedweller

cavedweller

Lift Off

Posted 09 January 2021 - 11:26 AM

Here is a photo of the Parallax rings and dovetail plate. The rings are 12.7" I.D. specifically for the Meade 10" Starfinder EQ. I think the dovetail plate was included with the Orion Atlas EQ-G mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• Meade-Parallax-Orion.jpg

• Mr Magoo, Bomber Bob and Skiims like this

#83 cavedweller

cavedweller

Lift Off

Posted 09 January 2021 - 12:12 PM

That's a very nice restoration job! Giving me food for thought: I also have a Meade SF 10 I bought in '93. I'm very fond of  it but I've never had any luck tracking anything - the motor works, I can hear it going, but it doesn't turn the scope in RA at all so everything drifts. Funny thing is, when balancing I can move the counterweight almost anywhere on it's rod and the scope seems to remain balanced. Could it be the clutch is too tight, or maybe the whole thing needs stripping and cleaning?

Before changing to a GOTO mount, I had replaced the bronze bushings in the worm block with ball bearings which fixed the binding that plagued the Starfinder EQ clock drive. I also kept it lubed, including the plastic RA bushings, with low-temp lithium grease. I kept the clutch fairly loose and the assembly balance slightly favoring the westward rotation. Those were the good ol' days, err, nights.

• Bomber Bob and Skiims like this

#84 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:35 PM

Some of those old high quality newts like the Cave, Meade or Criterion were really excellent. Any of those would give an Apo a run for its money. When I had my Cave 6” I would have stacked it up against anything.

Main differences between the views in my 2017 APM 152ED and my 1980s Meade 826 were aesthetic, except for the frac's wider field & tinier micro-dot stars.  I know with the 826 that colors are closer to natural than in the ED, though that can vary with object, seeing, & accessories.  The 826 is sharp at up to 50x / inch; the ED up to 75x / inch -- maxes of 400x & 450x, respectively.  In practice, 300x in the 8" is as revealing as 400x in the 6" most nights, and a bit easier on my aging eyes!

Had my arthritis not spread & worsened, I'd still have the Big ED.  There are objects that I saw in it that are (for me) incomparable & unforgettable.  But the 826... is moving into my workhorse category, which is Good Company:  FC-50 & Dakin 4 don't mind a third member.

I kept the clutch fairly loose and the assembly balance slightly favoring the westward rotation.

I do that with both my StarFinder EQs, and it makes for good tracking at up to 450x.  It doesn't work much or at all with my smaller Japan-made mounts...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 January 2021 - 05:40 PM.

• mdowns likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics