•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ts 152mm f5.9 widefield extravaganza

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#26 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

• Loc: Australia

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:54 AM

I purchased a ''Canadian Telescope''branded example of this same scope 5 or 6 years ago. It came fitted with

the carry handle(nice touch)and a three inch rotatable focuser that is very smooth in operation. The build quality and paint is of a surprising level,much better than a lot of more expensive makes on the market.

Optically its as good as it gets in a 152 f/5.9 achro,yes nay sayers,there is a little ca, minimal, so use it sensibly and don't look at Sirius but you will love the pinpoint stars and dso's against the black velvet black drop. And sharp as.

You will be more than happy with this great scope,my other scope is a TSA 102,iv' some idea how a good scope performs.

Frank.

Edited by fsphotography, 25 April 2020 - 04:04 AM.

• eros312 and jag767 like this

#27 jag767

jag767

Kinesis Custom Machining and Refinishing

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:59 AM

I purchased a ''Canadian Telescope''branded example of this same scope 5 or 6 years ago. It came fitted with
the carry handle(nice touch)and a three inch rotatable focuser that is very smooth in operation. The build quality and paint is of a surprising level,much better than a lot of more expensive makes on the market.
Optically its as good as it gets in a 152 f/5.9 achro,yes nay sayers,there is a little ca, minimal, so use it sensibly and don't look at Sirius but you will love the pinpoint stars and dso's against the black velvet black drop. And sharp as.
You will be more than happy with this great scope,my other scope is a TSA 102,iv' some idea how a good scope performs.

Frank.

Glad to hear it should perform as I am hoping!

#28 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

I did say I don't plan on it, not I'm going to, didn't I? Lol.

True that.  smile.gif

Actually what Dom suggested, stopping the aperture down, works very well with these scopes, and I've made 4.5" and 90mm stops for my 6" F6.5.

As an example, attached is a side-by-side-by-side double pass auto-collimation (DPAC) sequence of my lens in green light.  From left to right, full aperture, stopped to 4.5", then stopped to 90mm.  As you can see, for my lens, the stops actually improved the spherical correction of the lens, going from ~1/5 wave over-corrected to basically a neutral correction stopped down.  

A 4" stop will make your scope roughly an F7.5, which will considerably reduce the "CA", making for very nice higher power views of the Saturn and Jupiter.  Yes, the resolution and brightness are reduced, but the images at higher magnifications may very well be sharper, with higher contrast.  And it's super easy to make a mask with cardboard and scissors to try it out.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Effects of aperture stops..jpg

• nirvanix, eros312 and Bomber Bob like this

#29 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

True that.  smile.gif

Actually what Dom suggested, stopping the aperture down, works very well with these scopes, and I've made 4.5" and 90mm stops for my 6" F6.5.

As an example, attached is a side-by-side-by-side double pass auto-collimation (DPAC) sequence of my lens in green light.  From left to right, full aperture, stopped to 4.5", then stopped to 90mm.  As you can see, for my lens, the stops actually improved the spherical correction of the lens, going from ~1/5 wave over-corrected to basically a neutral correction stopped down.  

A 4" stop will make your scope roughly an F7.5, which will considerably reduce the "CA", making for very nice higher power views of the Saturn and Jupiter.  Yes, the resolution and brightness are reduced, but the images at higher magnifications may very well be sharper, with higher contrast.  And it's super easy to make a mask with cardboard and scissors to try it out.

Jeff

The TS 152 f/5.9 has a 900 mm focal length, so stopping down to 100 mm gives f/9.  Still not Sidgwick, but pretty good.

Dom Q.

#30 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

Good catch Dom!  I was thinking a 6" F5 for some reason.  foreheadslap.gif

Jeff

#31 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:21 AM

I'm actually contemplating making myself a new mount head to accomodate this and my 102 side by side. Seems like a good pairing!

#32 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 April 2020 - 01:41 PM

Good catch Dom!  I was thinking a 6" F5 for some reason.  foreheadslap.gif

Jeff

This thread, perhaps?  https://www.cloudyni...n-my-6-inch-f5/

#33 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 26 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

Anyone try an orion ultrablock or other deep sky filter on one of these?

#34 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:14 PM

Well, it's here, it's magnificent, and Huge!!! (No that's not the tripod it's going on, my big boy is being worked on/may get replaced, and this was up for a photo.)  The fit and finish is absolutely fantastic, couldnt be happier. And in a stroke of luck, its clear tonight!!! 😁

Attached Thumbnails

• PSX_20200428_170457.jpg

• cometcatcher, stevew, Jeff B and 9 others like this

#35 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:24 PM

Anyone try an orion ultrablock or other deep sky filter on one of these?

I have the shorter and faster 6" F/5 achro, and mostly using on the nebulae the OIII and H-Beta filters.

An old ATIK filter wheel is comfortable, I have 2 such filter wheels.

Congrats on your purchase!

JG

#36 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 28 April 2020 - 05:33 PM

I have used Orion Ultrablock with good success on my 6” achro. Only for visual, and only for nebulae. With the significant light grasp, nebulae filters should work well.

Scott

#37 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:30 PM

I'd recommend either the Baader Fringe Killer or (if you can find one) the discontinued William Optics VR-1.  The latter is the best MV filter I've ever used.  Has the same color balance as the FK, but more aggressive violet reduction.

Doubtful we'd ever see one, but I wonder what happens if you use lanthanum glass in one of the elements?  Seems to work fine for ED doublets; not sure it'd make a palpable difference in a fast achro.

Either way, a 6" frac is a lot of fun.  Especially under dark skies when keeping the power low.

Clear Skies,

Phil

#38 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:31 PM

Makes me really nervous seeing that beautiful heavy scope teetering on that flimsy

tripod,if one of those locks on the legs slips...................?confused1.gif bawling.gif 

Get it off!!!

Frank. 

#39 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

Makes me really nervous seeing that beautiful heavy scope teetering on that flimsy
tripod,if one of those locks on the legs slips...................?confused1.gifbawling.gif
Get it off!!!

Frank.

Was just for the photo lol. My 2" had to be re assembled, I tightened everything up real nice, but the legs had to be bolted back on. Its on there now.

#40 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:26 PM

Well, it's here, it's magnificent, and Huge!!! (No that's not the tripod it's going on, my big boy is being worked on/may get replaced, and this was up for a photo.)  The fit and finish is absolutely fantastic, couldnt be happier. And in a stroke of luck, its clear tonight!!!

I think you are going to be really happy with this scope.  It is fantastic for what it does best. 

#41 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 04:34 AM

Man, this is one great scope! I must admit, up til now achro was a dirty word to me when looking at a refractor, but man, I take it back! First, let me again comment on the build quality. Really phenomenal! Focuser is of a slightly different design than my 102mm f11ed, but more or less a first cousin to it. Buttery smooth, rotates beautifully, overall a solid A. The finish on the optical tube is magnificent, great metallic white with brilliant depth. If I were to nitpick, the 2 things that are just ok are the fit of the sliding dewshield to the tube (slightly too loose for my taste, easy fix) and the cap is also a hair too loose. Again easy fix. 

On setup, the weight was not at all cumbersome, and didn't bother me at all. I set up in 3 trips rather than my normal two, really no hastle, and my usual 2" tripod and mount head have no issues with it. If anything, I wouldnt mind stiffening up both axis on the mount for the extra weight. It mounted rock sold, which was nice to see. Only other thing I need to get right is a dependable shaft lock to change eyepieces. More on that to follow. 

Sky conditions were a tad below average, but getting to have a first light the day a scope comes is so rare for me that I'm not complaining. First thing I decided to do was have a gander around with my maxvision 40mm 68°. Holy pinpoints! Great field of view, nice tight stars, and as could be foreseen, the achro lens made little to no difference at this low magnification. More lower magnitude stars joining the field over my 4" was immediately apparent.  As I didnt have a ton of time before clouds would be rolling in, I was able to hit a few star clusters (M44, Double Cluster, M13) before quittin time. The scope performs admirably, showing quite a bit more than my 4", easily snapping  into focus in both my 40 and 30mm eps.

Also, the scope is well corrected spherically. This is something that I'm fairly  sensitive too, and had some reservations with the fast optical system of this 152. Happy to say the reports of the field looking pretty flat ring true, any spherical error thats there was not noticeable. I'saeven say the chromatic error was lower than I expected. I'd really love to get under some dark skies, as where I am the light pollution is extreme. Under better conditions, this must give some breathtaking views.

At these low magnifications, I found the achromatic objective to not make any difference. I did not go to higher magnifications, largely due to the challenge of changing eps while staying on a target. I really need to add a shaft lock to my mount head, because otherwise it's pretty much impossible. I could also see myself picking up an appropriate goto mount head in the near future. 

For me, I think theres 2 main takeaways from this night. First, I think its appropriate to compare this scope to a similarly priced apo in terms of opportunity cost. A TS 102mm f7 apo doublet with a fpl53/Lanthanum objective is about the same price. For mounting this 152 only need a slightly more robust mount, largely due to how short the moment arm is for its objective size. At low magnifications, the 152 really pulls away from a 4". Even on the moon (yes, I looked 😉). There's  a small amount of color, but even with it theres clearly more surface details apparent. Again, this is at low magnifications. At higher mags the 4" is going to clearly be more useful.

I think its really important to make this comparision, particularly since the general concensus I seem to read over and over is how a 152 will need considerably more mount, and that a 4" apo is likely the better choice over a 6" achro. On the contrary, I found neither to be true. While a little more mount would be helpful, I believe theres many cases where the same mount would be  adequate for both. As for as which is "better",  well that really depends on the observer. If you want a great low power rich field, the 152 is your guy. If you want planetary performance, go with a 4". If you want it all but don't want to cough up the coin for a 6" apo, then both compliment each other well. 

While I still wish  to get more time in at the eyepiece before fully developing my opinion, particularly with some nebula and galaxy work, it's safe to say this was a great purchase. I'd highly recommend this to anyone who wants to see more than a 4" apo will give, but doesnt want to break the bank. You'll have the deep sky performance a 6" can offer, just dont try to push magnification on bright objects without  understanding the scopes limitations. It'd be the same as trying to do widefield observing with a 7" mak, or high mag planetary viewing with an st80, just not how they are designed to be used.

That all being said, I would consider this a fantastic deal for the price. Best quality package I've seen housing a 6" achro objective, with an attractive price for this class of scope. Everyone should consider this as a worthy addition to their stable.

Edited by jag767, 29 April 2020 - 04:34 AM.

• JKAstro, Jeff B, daquad and 6 others like this

#42 Schurke

Schurke

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for your report!

I would need a new mount for it as my VAMO really pushes the limit at high mags with my sv102, which is similar to your ts102.

#43 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:14 AM

Thanks for your report!

I would need a new mount for it as my VAMO really pushes the limit at high mags with my sv102, which is similar to your ts102.

Well thats the thing, the high mag viewing isnt much of a concern, other than making sure the weight is secure, it's easier on the mount than my 102ed at f11.

#44 j.gardavsky

j.gardavsky

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:15 AM

Hello jag,

and thank you very much for your first impressions,

JG

#45 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Vanguard

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:51 PM

Well, it's here, it's magnificent, and Huge!!! (No that's not the tripod it's going on, my big boy is being worked on/may get replaced, and this was up for a photo.)  The fit and finish is absolutely fantastic, couldnt be happier. And in a stroke of luck, its clear tonight!!!

It's such a big scope it makes your kitchen appliances look tiny smile.gif

All kidding aside I think that would be a good option for me in the winter when there's snow on the ground and I can't use my 8" dob. I wonder how the unobstructed aperture would compare to an XT8. Could be a nice option for deep sky.

#46 fsphotography

fsphotography

Vostok 1

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

Good to see your first impressions were just like mine when my scope arrived,that paint job is just beautiful isn't it. it. Like you i also found the dew shield was a little loose as it had a tendency to creep down when pointed towards the zenith. I solved this problem by fitting a plastic tipped thumb screw to the black painted collar at the back end

of the shield, i had forgotten about that until now. The cap was no problem,the earlier ones were a heavy metal screw in design,weigh about a kilo,bit a of over kill but does the job. The mount i use it on is a Skywatcher HEQ 5 PRO goto which handles it very well.

Enjoy your new scope.

Frank.

#47 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:34 PM

Good to see your first impressions were just like mine when my scope arrived,that paint job is just beautiful isn't it. it. Like you i also found the dew shield was a little loose as it had a tendency to creep down when pointed towards the zenith. I solved this problem by fitting a plastic tipped thumb screw to the black painted collar at the back end
of the shield, i had forgotten about that until now. The cap was no problem,the earlier ones were a heavy metal screw in design,weigh about a kilo,bit a of over kill but does the job. The mount i use it on is a Skywatcher HEQ 5 PRO goto which handles it very well.
Enjoy your new scope.

Frank.

Thanks! Its not so loose that it creeps, and theres a thumbscrew to tighten it in place, but its not nylon tipped so I chose not to use it. I'll get a different one in the future.

#48 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

Thanks! Its not so loose that it creeps, and theres a thumbscrew to tighten it in place, but its not nylon tipped so I chose not to use it. I'll get a different one in the future.

The thumb screw on my red Altair Starwave (same manufacturer, Kunming) dew shield does not mar the tube, which is a glossy gold metallic red.   I don't think Kunming would allow that thumb screw to scratch that beautiful finish.

Dom Q.

• jag767 likes this

#49 jag767

jag767

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:59 PM

The thumb screw on my red Altair Starwave (same manufacturer, Kunming) dew shield does not mar the tube, which is a glossy gold metallic red. I don't think Kunming would allow that thumb screw to scratch that beautiful finish.

Dom Q.

Hmmm I have to take a better look in the hole, maybe I missed something.

#50 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:47 AM

Jag, I'm really glad you're enjoying your scope.  They are a lot of fun for me.

For grins, try making a 4" (ore even a 4.5") aperture mask out of cardboard or other stiff paper, and look at the moon again.  You may be surprised.

Jeff

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics