•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New moon 16” hybrid opinions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:36 PM

I’m thinking about a 16” new moon in a couple of years as my light bucket to complement my refractors. No sure if I should get f4 of f4.5. Definitely want my feet on the ground. I’ve got a stellarvue correct image finder scope and it comes with a telrad.

Since these are custom scopes what sort of options should I specify ? Thinking about going whole hog and getting servocat. What wood looks best ? Any other goodies ? Paracorr? Etc.

#2 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Also thinking about NV to enhance scope

#3 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:37 PM

Will probably store at dark site and just wheel it out.

#4 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 24 April 2020 - 03:01 PM

You may want to read the following review on CN. My experience was similar.

https://www.cloudyni...escopes hybrid

Starman47

#5 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2020 - 06:44 PM

Starman47

Jesus so who makes good dobsonian scopes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:05 PM

Jesus so who makes good dobsonian scopes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The vast majority of NMT owners (of which I am not one - I have a great old Obsession 20 that is 20 years old and I've owned it 17 of those years) think the scopes are wonderful. I've observed with several - including the owner's 20-inch and at least 3 16's -- I think they are great scopes. So do some very advanced observers and owners.

If you go with the GSO optics -- Ryan does do star testing - and will not send you a bad mirror. At Kopernik Observatory & Science Center, Vestal, NY -- about 6 months ago, we purchased a special-design NMT 12.5" Dob (a lot different than the usual design) made so that it can be used by someone in a wheel chair. To keep the $$ low, we got a GSO mirror. The scope performs very well. Personally, I would get a Normand Fullum mirror - but then I can afford it.

NMT does have a sale of sorts going on right now -- based on reduced Fullum mirror price. Not many are still available, and I have no idea if there is a 16.

Also -- as posted by NMT on Facebook - the "Mrs half" of the "NMT team" is working full time as an "essential worker" - leaving Dad (Ryan) doing the 'home schooling' for their daughter - meaning - delivery times may be a little longer. However -- "it" can't last forever!

#7 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 April 2020 - 08:57 PM

Thought I should post a link to a vid on FaceBook showing the 'special' NMT owned by Kopernik Observatory to be used by people in a wheel chair. I don't know if this vid is somewhere else than Facebook.

Link: https://www.facebook...12520176136328/

#8 berkleystg

berkleystg

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bakersfield, CA

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:50 AM

Owning a f/4 16” NMT, that is what I would suggest for you. I am able to sit in my chair regardless where the scope is pointing. Ryan at NMT builds amazing telescope and don’t let starman47 bad experience ruin it for you. NMT is a joy to have, and I wouldn’t trade it for any other telescope.

For me, I didn’t get much custom options. Just the feather touch focuser, a filter slide (I think Ryan mention on Facebook they are discontinued), and an eyepiece tray. If you’re good at star hoping I don’t think servocat is necessary because even at 300x it’s easy to track with a NMT.
  • BradFran and Jsquared like this

#9 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 25 April 2020 - 02:48 PM

Starman47

Please elaborate.

#10 Starman47

Starman47

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: West of OZ

Posted 25 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

The article on CN speaks for itself.

Edited by Starman47, 25 April 2020 - 03:55 PM.

• havasman likes this

#11 Mazerski

Mazerski

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

J,

I wrote up a review in Feb 2020 of a 12.5" NM Ryan made for me and I use night Vision almost 100%. If you do consider NV, I suggest telling Ryan up front.

I got the f/4.5 and the Antares 2" 0.7x and 0.5x focal reducers both focus. I use a filter wheel (for visual) and I can use a 2X Powermate for f/9 to look closer at galaxies, globs, small bright Planetary Nebula.

Great scope and for me, taking out / in house fully assembled is great. 

https://www.cloudyni...i#entry10001630

• Jsquared likes this

#12 Blueox4

Blueox4

Viking 1

• Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 25 April 2020 - 06:17 PM

Well, I still have 100% confidence in Ryan and the quality of his work. The first party very accurately  described his experience and Ryan made it right but the second party just vaguely says “me too”. If they don’t describe what their issue was you have to put zero credence in that report as the individual doesn’t seem to have the fortitude to do anything other than a vague me too? The truth is the truth. No one should be afraid of that. Good or bad.  I have no regrets about my choice. If I did have any issues I would most certainly describe them accurately as the first guy did not just pile on anonymously. NMT is good people all the way. 

Edited by Blueox4, 26 April 2020 - 09:21 AM.

• stubeeef, starzonesteve and Jsquared like this

#13 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:29 PM

Saving my pennies this month for down payment for f4 16” Zambuto quartz. Talked to Ryan he is quite excited. Plan to do mahogany wood. With sips servocat and a few other goodies. Reading about catseye collimating. With Zambuto out 10-12 months will take awhile.
  • stubeeef, havasman and Blueox4 like this

#14 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:46 PM

I think the key, with ANY custom maker, will be making sure you know what you want, communicate that well and that what you want is within Ryan's comfort zone and sphere of experience. The failed scope in that forum string probably got too far outside that comfort zone and the owner was unaware of the extent to which Ryan was pushing his envelope.

Lots of folks on here are very happy with their New Moon scopes and I have not ruled out a future project with him myself.

A 16" is a great size. Good luck with your new scope.

• Blueox4 and stevenrjanssens like this

#15 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:22 AM

The failed scope in that forum string probably got too far outside that comfort zone and the owner was unaware of the extent to which Ryan was pushing his envelope.

The owner of that scope took Ryan at his word that he could build the telescope.  He has no idea if he can, because he sent that telescope to the owner without testing it.  I have that in Ryan's own words - that he didn't test the telescope.  Had he tested it he would have known:

• The SIPS spacing wasn't set correctly - he intentionally didn't complete this task.
  • The truss poles were too short to *get* the SIPS spacing set correctly.
  • The focuser board was bent.
  • The focuser was not perpendicular to the angle presented by the secondary.  
  • The rollers on the whiffle tree mirror cell were 90º the wrong direction.  You'll note that he's corrected this issue on subsequent iterations of whiffle tree cells.  

These are not things that are pushing any envelope.  They are basic requirements in any dobsonian telescope. 

I had the exact same structure requirements built by another vendor.  I've been using it for a year now - and it meets every single design requirement without breaking a sweat and worlds different than the failed scope in the other forum string.  The design is possible.  It always was.  

#16 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

The owner of that scope took Ryan at his word that he could build the telescope.  He has no idea if he can, because he sent that telescope to the owner without testing it.  I have that in Ryan's own words - that he didn't test the telescope.  Had he tested it he would have known:

• ….

Are we going to re-hash all of this again? It has already been discussed.

The scope was shipped in an unfinished state - without testing - with all of the defects noted. Ryan admits to the mistake of shipping before he was happy with the scope - and lacking the usual evening of star testing. He offered to 'fix' the issues. It has since been re-worked and supposedly performs well - but I have never observed or even seen it. There is a large 'Army' of very satisfied MNT customers out there - including a number of my friends, advanced observers of the first order. Ryan will now not ship a telescope until he tests it under the stars - altho that extends delivery times - He still has a long line of orders.

Personally -- if I ever sell my 20 year old Obsession 20 with the intent of buying a new Premium Dob - it will very likely be a NMT with Fullum mirror. Alas, most of my astro-interest currently lies in "the black-hole of imaging" - leaving few bucks left over for visual Dobs. After I fall off a ladder and break a leg - I'll probably order a 20" F/3 or something!  wink.gif

Edited by George N, 30 April 2020 - 10:49 AM.

• stubeeef, pao, starzonesteve and 2 others like this

#17 Mike Wiles

Mike Wiles

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:29 PM

Are we going to re-hash all of this again? It has already been discussed.

No, we're not.  As you said, the scope was shipped in an unfinished state, and I've left it at that since the original thread.  And I have nothing else to say until someone suggests that I may have been responsible for the decisions he made to ship that scope.  Then, I'll disagree with facts, as I've done here.  My point in saying anything today is to disagree with the post that suggested I was unaware what I was asking for with the design, and that it is/was possible to construct that telescope.  

I've seen pictures and video of the reworked telescope.  It's gorgeous with the new carbon fiber truss poles, new outward facing focuser board and new smaller secondary mirror.  I'm sure it performs well too after he fixed and tested all of the issues that it had. Ryan had a YouTube video of the rebuilt telescope for awhile demonstrating that it functioned well.  In that video he said that the problem was that the customer (who is me) didn't understand anything about telescopes or astronomy and he was forced to take it back.  He didn't mention anything about shipping a $10k telescope in an unfinished state - without testing - in that video.  He deleted it off of YouTube when I approached him directly about it.  I have a copy if you'd like to see it.  

I wish Ryan nothing but luck and good fortune.  I do believe that he made a mistake and shipped a bad telescope, it just happened to be mine.  This hobby needs more people like him.  He's enthusiastic and personable - something this hobby can always use.  He has innovative designs and many happy customers that get other people excited about observing.  Now that Rob Teeter is largely exiting the game (at least for awhile)....I'm pretty sure that Ryan is the only commercial structure builder under the age of 50.  If this hobby is to survive, it needs skilled entrepreneurs like him.  

Edited by Mike Wiles, 30 April 2020 - 03:30 PM.

• KJL and havasman like this

#18 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 30 April 2020 - 05:36 PM

I have a NMT on order from Ryan, KEY point, Never rush a custom scope or optic. 

It will be ready when its ready, and I can wait for that.

No one is perfect, and there isn't a single vendor here that is.

• Bill Jensen, havasman, pao and 2 others like this

#19 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 01:35 PM

Bump

#20 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:38 PM

Bump

So, why? Have you made any progress in your decision process in the 6 months since this string opened? What input are you looking for that you have not gotten from prior posts that may likely be delivered hence?

#21 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

So, why? Have you made any progress in your decision process in the 6 months since this string opened? What input are you looking for that you have not gotten from prior posts that may likely be delivered hence?

I wanted to see if anyone else had an opinion

#22 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:47 PM

Jsquared, you mentioned that purchase of a scope was a few years off, and you wanted opinions. I don't own a NMT (at least yet) but I own a 16 inch F/4 dob stored in OR when I travel annually for a star party. I have used it for many years, one week per year, but have a lot of hours with that size. It is a delight each time I return to the OSP to use it. I observe near folks with much larger scopes (28 inch, 24 inch, etc), but it would take me a lifetime to exhaust what a 16 inch mirror can offer me. Of course, at 67, my lifetime is a tad limited ;-)

The best accessory I can suggest would be purchase of a Nexus with high resolution encoders, unless you have something similar on your refractors. I use a Paracorr on my 16 inch. I now use a Glatter laser/Tubblug for collimation tools,  and that combo is fantastic. The other accessory which you may already have is an adjustable chair.

Otherwise, your major decisions will be selecting who makes the mirror and the structure. Since you are looking far in advance, you could order the mirror since that may take almost a year to make it just the way you want it.  You may want quartz to cool fast, although that is more expensive. I like f/4, as it keeps my feet on the ground.

I don't use a EQ platform on that scope, but I have a Tom O for my scope at home. that would raise the height a bit, unless , as you indicated, you go with a ServoCat. I had a scope with the SCJr on it, but as that limited my ability to separate the mirror box and rocker from each other (in order to carry it) I ended up selling the scope. At my age, and with storage limits, I need to be able to separate the components to lift them. You said you are just rolling the scope out, once you get it, so that would not be an issue for you. 

You will see comments about almost every structure that are both very positive and some negative. For example you can find comments that are critical of Obsession, or of other structure makers. Yet we are fortunate that the custom dob makers are a group of perfectionists, for the most part. They want to go to a star party and see their scopes being used. 

I am recently retired, but I worked in a service industry. We were able to please the vast majority of our clients. Some...well, they went to other firms. (and we heard later, some regretted moving to those competitors). You simply won't find anyone there who is going to please all of their clients. I am sure that even Al or David Nagler get complaints. It is how one handles those situations that defines us, or at least allows us to part ways on a reasonable basis. 

Good luck with your decision. 

• Jsquared likes this

#23 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:56 PM

Current build specs

F4 quartz Zambuto 16” mirror
Mahogany wood
Carbon fiber trusses
60 mm Tak with amici prism as finder
( I’m looking for used)
Telrad
Probable SIPS and starlight focuser
Dew heater with control board
Tablet stalk with cutouts for ep in contrasting light wood
Servocat
Traditional wood top to protect secondary from stray light
Powered board to hook up to ac or Battery

I’m a little freaked out about Collimating thinking about a cats eye.

I plan to get an NV device and use it with televue 67 plossel
  • Bill Jensen and pao like this

#24 Bill Jensen

Bill Jensen

Viking 1

• Loc: Springfield VA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:57 AM

Current build specs

F4 quartz Zambuto 16” mirror
Mahogany wood
Carbon fiber trusses
60 mm Tak with amici prism as finder
( I’m looking for used)
Telrad
Probable SIPS and starlight focuser
Dew heater with control board
Tablet stalk with cutouts for ep in contrasting light wood
Servocat
Traditional wood top to protect secondary from stray light
Powered board to hook up to ac or Battery

I’m a little freaked out about Collimating thinking about a cats eye.

I plan to get an NV device and use it with televue 67 plossel

I just wish I was your neighbor in OK, you would see me coming around your place frequently once your scope is finished! 

Don't be worried about collimating the scope. with good tools it is a snap. Once dialed in, most of the time you would just tweak it a bit for each observing session. 

#25 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

I just wish I was your neighbor in OK, you would see me coming around your place frequently once your scope is finished!

Don't be worried about collimating the scope. with good tools it is a snap. Once dialed in, most of the time you would just tweak it a bit for each observing session.

Scope will be based in way north Dallas if that helps. I’d love to have people come over.
  • Bill Jensen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics