•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New moon 16” hybrid opinions

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:05 PM

Current build specs

F4 quartz Zambuto 16” mirror
Mahogany wood
Carbon fiber trusses
60 mm Tak with amici prism as finder
( I’m looking for used)
Telrad
Probable SIPS and starlight focuser
Dew heater with control board
Tablet stalk with cutouts for ep in contrasting light wood
Servocat
Traditional wood top to protect secondary from stray light
Powered board to hook up to ac or Battery

I’m a little freaked out about Collimating thinking about a cats eye.

I plan to get an NV device and use it with televue 67 plossel

If you are freaked out about collimation, I would suggest getting a Howie Glatter tublug and laser(2"). Expensive, but not when considering what you are spending on the scope, a good investment. The farpoint 2" laser is good too and will work with a tublug. The cats eye tools are great too but the laser/tublug will make collimation quick and easy for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience at it. The only other tool you might need is a sight tube but you could ask the builder to make sure the secondary is perfectly centered before shipping/pick-up so you don't have to touch it. I'm sure they would normally do that anyway.

• Bill Jensen, havasman and Jsquared like this

#27 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:10 PM

If you are freaked out about collimation, I would suggest getting a Howie Glatter tublug and laser(2"). Expensive, but not when considering what you are spending on the scope, a good investment. The farpoint 2" laser is good too and will work with a tublug. The cats eye tools are great too but the laser/tublug will make collimation quick and easy for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience at it. The only other tool you might need is a sight tube but you could ask the builder to make sure the secondary is perfectly centered before shipping/pick-up so you don't have to touch it. I'm sure they would normally do that anyway.

Much thanks for the advice !

#28 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:37 PM

Not to be left out in any discussion of the Glatter laser/Tublug combo is that it is very precise and yields very fine collimation. Be sure and get the dimmer switch. That shrinks the size of the dot and lets you discriminate more finely with the alignment. You get very good alignment with the standard laser dot and then shrink it to a small percentage of its original size and see another level of centering adjustment to be made. I also recommend it very highly.

Also, I am in N Dallas in Prestonwood. If you think there is anything I can help you with just send me a PM and I will be glad to do what I can, and safely.

Edited by havasman, 20 November 2020 - 10:42 PM.

• Mike Wiles, charotarguy, eyeoftexas and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics