•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TEC 140FL

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 rugby

rugby

Mariner 2

• Loc: London Ontario Canada

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:23 PM

areyoukiddingme: sorry for the mistake of identity, I still have a lot to learn on these forums

#27 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:42 PM

areyoukiddingme: sorry for the mistake of identity, I still have a lot to learn on these forums

You are good, that was all me!

#28 rob.0919

rob.0919

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

Mine is #032 which was a 13 month wait time.

(ordered mid July 2018, received early September 2019.)

With it being a new design following the discontinuation of the 140ED there was an extra wait with it being back ordered a bit together with one or two teething issues in production

I believe that one year + wait time will come down though.

For me though, it was worth the wait ; its a beautiful scope in every way.

• eros312, Paul Morow and Jon_Doh like this

#29 paulh83

paulh83

Vostok 1

• Loc: Thousand Oaks, CA

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

I have #001. I waited 14 months from deposit to delivery. No regrets.
  • Paul Morow and danielguo like this

#30 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:15 PM

Received notification today from TEC my 140 #80 my indeed be delivered in 2022. That really sucks.

#31 fate187

fate187

Ranger 4

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:48 PM

Well thats a bummer. Maybe try to find a Tec140 ED instead for the time until the FL version?

#32 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:22 AM

Well thats a bummer. Maybe try to find a Tec140 ED instead for the time until the FL version?

+1

#33 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:34 AM

Received notification today from TEC my 140 #80 my indeed be delivered in 2022. That really sucks.

When did you place your order?  TEC told me just a couple of weeks ago that, if I placed my order now, I'd have delivery in 7-9 months.  Now I don't know what to do.  confused1.gif

#34 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:47 AM

When did you place your order? TEC told me just a couple of weeks ago that, if I placed my order now, I'd have delivery in 7-9 months. Now I don't know what to do. confused1.gif

Placed order March

#35 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: AZ

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

It is TEC's MO.  Promise you a scope in 6 months.....take your deposit.....then do what they like when they like and expect the scope in 2 years or more and for you to just like it.  Why do they need your deposit money for a scope 2 years from now?!?!  Think about that.  They obviously are not purchasing your blank with it.......probably other blanks.  

#36 Heywood

Heywood

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

Placed order March

Looking on the bright side, if I ordered now and put down my deposit, I'd have a year longer to save up the balance!  grin.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=kE186w91YVU

Heywood

Edited by Heywood, 07 May 2020 - 10:16 AM.

#37 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:39 AM

Looking on the bright side, if I ordered now and put down my deposit, I'd have a year longer to save up the balance! grin.gif

https://www.youtube....h?v=kE186w91YVU

Heywood

Yeah that’s my opinion. It will come when it comes 😂 Stellarvue is coming out with a F6.7 140 this fall. Thought about ordering one but think instead I’ll just order my Zambuto f4 sixteen incher 😜 the quoted lead time on that is ten months fifty percent down.
  • areyoukiddingme likes this

#38 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

It is TEC's MO.  Promise you a scope in 6 months.....take your deposit.....then do what they like when they like and expect the scope in 2 years or more and for you to just like it.  Why do they need your deposit money for a scope 2 years from now?!?!  Think about that.  They obviously are not purchasing your blank with it.......probably other blanks.  

?

How many OTA's have you purchased from TEC?

• BillP likes this

#39 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

?

How many OTA's have you purchased from TEC?

Why?

#40 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:31 PM

That’s the problem with giving test results, someone is gonna be unhappy.

More a personal problem with the buyer IMO, so no fault to the seller.  Let's face it, when rounding to 2 digits all the ones on that list are either .98 or .99, no one is going to visually discern that different when "observing" any celestial target so their unhappiness is purely contrived and completely unwarranted!  bawling.gif  However, all these scope makers are in business and the primary objective of that business is always to make money for one's livelihood above all else.  That being so a simple solution would be to say that people can put in orders for cherry picked strehls, but it will put them on a wait list that could take years before they get notified lol.gif  and will cost them 50% more than the normal price!  I mean, if they have the cash to waste for silly reasons, why not accept it from them?

Edited by BillP, 07 May 2020 - 12:32 PM.

• eros312 likes this

#41 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

Why?

Because you've basically accused TEC of running a Ponzi scheme...  You have suggested that new customer deposits are paying for lenses in the current production run.  Thats not the case and I found what you said to be, at best, anectdotal - not having first hand experience - and at worst in poor taste.

I have purchased three TEC's, direct from TEC all without issues.  Yes - there were production delays but everything was explained and usually had to do with supply chain or raw material issues.  From what I can tell, TEC is well capitalized and does not need "fresh money" coming in the door in order to finish current orders.  

As I understand it, deposits are taken when an order is placed is so that the glass for the run in which the customer is slotted can be ordered.  There can be a 6-9 month lead-time when ordering glass and Fluorite blanks.

Edited by peleuba, 07 May 2020 - 02:27 PM.

• Paul G, ares53405, mark8888 and 5 others like this

#42 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:31 PM

Correction correction correction

I got an email from Gabrielle today saying she made an oops and that my expected delivery date is 2021 N O T 2022 as she had written me 🤪

And just like that all was again right in the world 😁
  • eros312, areyoukiddingme and fate187 like this

#43 Jsquared

Jsquared

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:32 PM

Gabrielle works at TEC.

#44 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:48 PM

Because you've basically accused TEC of running a Ponzi scheme...  You have suggested that new customer deposits are paying for lenses in the current production run.  Thats not the case and I found what you said to be, at best, anectdotal - not having first hand experience - and at worst in poor taste.

I have purchased three TEC's, direct from TEC all without issues.  Yes - there were production delays but everything was explained and usually had to do with supply chain or raw material issues.  From what I can tell, TEC is well capitalized and does not need "fresh money" coming in the door in order to finish current orders.  

As I understand it, deposits are taken when an order is placed is so that the glass for the run in which the customer is slotted can be ordered.  There can be a 6-9 month lead-time when ordering glass and Fluorite blanks.

There was no explanation for me or my two friends also on the list for over a year and a half and waiting.  All being told 6 months then having the delivery pushed out.  What I am saying is it is better to undersell and over deliver.  And if you are going to have me on a list for a couple years I think I would rather not have my money there....but my own account until the product I ordered is ready.  That is where I differ from you.  I am not cool with that type of business model.  A lot can happen in a couple years......like what is happening now.  Enjoy your TECs and I will enjoy my Taks.   

On the bolded:  THEN DON'T TELL CUSTOMERS IT WILL BE 6 MONTHS WHEN YOU KNOW IT WON'T!  Pretty simple....honesty.

Edited by Swanny, 07 May 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#45 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:49 AM

There was no explanation for me or my two friends also on the list for over a year and a half and waiting.  All being told 6 months then having the delivery pushed out.  What I am saying is it is better to undersell and over deliver.  And if you are going to have me on a list for a couple years I think I would rather not have my money there....but my own account until the product I ordered is ready.  That is where I differ from you.  I am not cool with that type of business model.  A lot can happen in a couple years......like what is happening now.  Enjoy your TECs and I will enjoy my Taks.   

On the bolded:  THEN DON'T TELL CUSTOMERS IT WILL BE 6 MONTHS WHEN YOU KNOW IT WON'T!  Pretty simple....honesty.

Agree.  Under-promise and over-perform is what we all strive for.  And, vendors should not give unrealistic delivery dates.  But folks with no first hand knowledge shouldn't take backhanded swipes by insinuating that some pyramid/ponzi scheme is at work, yes?

Disagree with your thinking on deposit/downpayment.   All custom, made-to-order products require some sort of downpayment.   I cannot think of ANY exceptions to this.  For example, you contract to build a house you provide the builder a deposit;  You special order a new car, you provide a deposit; etc.  By sending a deposit this ensures the customer has "skin in the game".

In full disclosure, I no longer own any TEC telescopes.  But, like you, I also I like my TAKS.  grin.gif

Nearly 100% of world-wide optical glass production from Optron, Schott, Hoya, O'Hara etc. is dedicated to smart phone, digital camera manufacturing, medical, aerospace, and defense industries.  Small time orders from TEC, and A-P are filled between runs ("melts") of glass for larger clients.  Additionally, you need very high quality glass for an astronomical objective - higher then a camera lens.  This takes additional time. 

Edited by peleuba, 08 May 2020 - 09:58 AM.

• Paul G, Jeff B, Paul Morow and 1 other like this

#46 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2020 - 08:58 AM

"Additionally, you need very high quality glass for an astronomical objective - higher then a camera lens.  This takes additional time."

And the scrap rate due to glass quality is much, much higher and many times found only when polishing.  

• Jsquared likes this

#47 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:07 AM

More a personal problem with the buyer IMO, so no fault to the seller.  Let's face it, when rounding to 2 digits all the ones on that list are either .98 or .99, no one is going to visually discern that different when "observing" any celestial target so their unhappiness is purely contrived and completely unwarranted!  bawling.gif  However, all these scope makers are in business and the primary objective of that business is always to make money for one's livelihood above all else.  That being so a simple solution would be to say that people can put in orders for cherry picked strehls, but it will put them on a wait list that could take years before they get notified lol.gif  and will cost them 50% more than the normal price!  I mean, if they have the cash to waste for silly reasons, why not accept it from them?

Yeah, the worst of that batch is superb. But human nature is human nature and someone would **** and moan about paying the same as everyone else but getting the worst scope of the run. Giving customers an optical report is a great thing to do, for the customer, but often times is a bad thing to do for the small manufacturer.

#48 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:13 AM

"Additionally, you need very high quality glass for an astronomical objective - higher then a camera lens.  This takes additional time."

And the scrap rate due to glass quality is much, much higher and many times found only when polishing.  

As much as these top of the line scope manufacturers pay for the optical blanks the glass comes with no guarantee it can be used in a telescope objective. In most cases the blank has to be rough ground, then fine ground, then rough polished, then fine polished before internal problems in the glass can be identified. That's not only a lot of money in glass thrown away but a lot of money in skilled labor and machine time that has to be spread out over the objectives that do pass. Some runs can have a 50% rejection rate.

• peleuba likes this

#49 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Nearly 100% of world-wide optical glass production from Optron, Schott, Hoya, O'Hara etc. is dedicated to smart phone, digital camera manufacturing, medical, aerospace, and defense industries. 

That'd be Ohara, no apostrophe, pleuba-san.  smile.gif

• peleuba and MDB like this

#50 Swanny

Swanny

Messenger

• ****-

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Agree.  Under-promise and over-perform is what we all strive for.  And, vendors should not give unrealistic delivery dates.  But folks with no first hand knowledge shouldn't take backhanded swipes by insinuating that some pyramid/ponzi scheme is at work, yes?

Disagree with your thinking on deposit/downpayment.   All custom, made-to-order products require some sort of downpayment.   I cannot think of ANY exceptions to this.  For example, you contract to build a house you provide the builder a deposit;  You special order a new car, you provide a deposit; etc.  By sending a deposit this ensures the customer has "skin in the game".

In full disclosure, I no longer own any TEC telescopes.  But, like you, I also I like my TAKS.  grin.gif

Nearly 100% of world-wide optical glass production from Optron, Schott, Hoya, O'Hara etc. is dedicated to smart phone, digital camera manufacturing, medical, aerospace, and defense industries.  Small time orders from TEC, and A-P are filled between runs ("melts") of glass for larger clients.  Additionally, you need very high quality glass for an astronomical objective - higher then a camera lens.  This takes additional time. 

This is true and I agree with most of what you posted.  But this is not a custom made to order product.  Where you are given options on the product (tube color, size, focuser, options, etc>).  It is a production product.  And as I stated, AP doesn't require it until they get ready to make your mount.....at least on my Mach1 I didn't.  When I ordered my car it didn't require it.  Again, semantics that we semi-agree on.  Some items do require it and some don't depending on business model.  

We agree on most things.....which is afar cry from many!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics