•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your Asi2600/Qhy268c images

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#76 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:46 AM

The monochrome will always give a better resolution but like I said above, I think the gap is closing.  So, to me, the gap in resolution between the two is not that dramatic but probably an AP expert would argue otherwise given the very nature of having to use 4 pixels to give you the color vs. a 1:1 with a mono camera and color filter.  Between my so-so eyesight, Bortle 6 skies, and my PixInsight processing skill level, I find little difference.  That is why I have not focused on mono using LRGB filters but I really like the mono for narrowband imaging.  People can disagree but it isn't a wrong or right thing, it is merely personal preference as there are so many variables (e.g., your sky conditions, time you have to image, cost to buy various accessories, processing skills, and simply how far you want to go to get an image that is pleasing to you).  

Yes, you certainly can do a ROI with the 2600 to mimic the 533.  First, the 533 came out months before the 2600 and I bought it when it first became available.  I really like it despite the smaller sensor.  It is at a great price, low dark current, no amp glow and very easy to calibrate (vs. the 294 which I had).  Then, the 2600 came out and I was intrigued by the larger sensor (largest I have had) in addition to the same newer technology as the 533.  However, it really needs a lot of computer power to process the larger 16-bit image files vs. the 533 smaller 14 bit files.  Second, I have a C11" EdgeHD in a permanent observatory with an 80mm APO triple piggy backed onto it.  This gives me unlimited options in a FOV between the 2 scopes, using reducers or not, and the two different sensor sizes and having them both on a scope limits my need to go climbing up to change a camera.  I may eventually sell the 533 after I feel 100% comfortable with the 2600.  

• Garfield and JerseyBoy like this

#77 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:36 PM

CHANGE OF PLANS!!!!  QHY268M mono coming out in October!  Hope ZWO follows as well.

#78 sn2006gy

sn2006gy

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

CHANGE OF PLANS!!!!  QHY268M mono coming out in October!  Hope ZWO follows as well.

QHY is doing some innovative things on their new cameras. I'll be disappointed if ZWO just pumps out a 2600m and just leaves the DDR ram as its only thing...  QHY has 2gb DDR ram buffer, 64mb flash memory and 10mb user addressable space for onboard region of interest.  Pretty neato.

With that said. I love my 2600mc. Pairing it up with a new scope this week. I'm not sure i have it in me to jump to mono.  2" filters, 2" filter wheel... Got my 2600 going on an F3.3 scope with a Triad Ultra. I'll get more improvement with dark skies than going mono

but.. zwo had better come out with a mono 533 and mono 2600 ;)

• JerseyBoy likes this

#79 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:00 AM

QHY is doing some innovative things on their new cameras. I'll be disappointed if ZWO just pumps out a 2600m and just leaves the DDR ram as its only thing... QHY has 2gb DDR ram buffer, 64mb flash memory and 10mb user addressable space for onboard region of interest. Pretty neato.

With that said. I love my 2600mc. Pairing it up with a new scope this week. I'm not sure i have it in me to jump to mono. 2" filters, 2" filter wheel... Got my 2600 going on an F3.3 scope with a Triad Ultra. I'll get more improvement with dark skies than going mono

You would get more improvements from mono overall. Dark skies with OSC does help them perform better and closes the gap a little, but it's well documented on this site in a number of threads and discussions that mono is far superior. A Triad filter isn't a magical cure either.

#80 Freakshow

Freakshow

Vostok 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:35 AM

Wouldn't 36mm filters be sufficient?  Significantly cheaper than 2".  Less weight.  Smaller filter wheel?  And you could pair it with a IMX462, or IMX174 guide/planetary camera and have all the bases covered.

• sn2006gy likes this

#81 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:50 AM

For most scopes the 36mm unmounted filters should be more than fine for an APS-c sized sensor.

• rockstarbill likes this

#82 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:54 AM

Yes you can use 36mm unmounted filters just fine. The misinformation on this site lately is a bit saddening. 

#83 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

QHY is doing some innovative things on their new cameras. I'll be disappointed if ZWO just pumps out a 2600m and just leaves the DDR ram as its only thing... QHY has 2gb DDR ram buffer, 64mb flash memory and 10mb user addressable space for onboard region of interest. Pretty neato.

With that said. I love my 2600mc. Pairing it up with a new scope this week. I'm not sure i have it in me to jump to mono. 2" filters, 2" filter wheel... Got my 2600 going on an F3.3 scope with a Triad Ultra. I'll get more improvement with dark skies than going mono

The 2600/268 mono sensors on the horizon are going to be chemically debayered”cfa melted off” i have no idea how they are going to control light reflecting off the surface of the sensor. Maybe they can optically cement a thin quartz AR coated filter physically onto the sensor after it has cfa removed, I dunno. Something tells me there will be a curve to getting the new mono cameras to perform to expectations. And if they add all of the steps sbove in production they are going to be alot more $$ than the osc

Edited by calypsob, 18 August 2020 - 10:40 AM.

#84 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 10:41 AM

The 2600/268 mono sensors on the horizon are going to be chemically debayered”cfa melted off” i have no idea how they are going to control light reflecting off the surface of the sensor. Maybe they can optically cement a thin quartz AR coated filter physically onto the sensor after it has cfa removed, I dunno. Something tells me there will be a curve to getting the new mono cameras to perform to expectations.

Based on QHY related information, I was told Sony was providing mono sensors to them. Not sensors for use in a bayer matrix removal process. 

• ezwheels likes this

#85 ezwheels

ezwheels

Apollo

• Loc: Oakland, CA.

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

From little birdies at both major Chinese astro camera manufacturers, these are mono sensors direct from SONY that they are still waiting on. 

• calypsob and rockstarbill like this

#86 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:28 PM

The 2600/268 mono sensors on the horizon are going to be chemically debayered”cfa melted off” i have no idea how they are going to control light reflecting off the surface of the sensor. Maybe they can optically cement a thin quartz AR coated filter physically onto the sensor after it has cfa removed, I dunno. Something tells me there will be a curve to getting the new mono cameras to perform to expectations. And if they add all of the steps sbove in production they are going to be alot more $$ than the osc

Misinformation.

• ezwheels likes this

#87 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

• Loc: Jersey, Channel Islands

Posted 18 August 2020 - 01:18 PM

Weird, Sony on their Sensor Roadmap have never had a Mono version of the Sensor shown? This is their roadmap showing current and future sensors.

Click on IMX571, no mention of Mono in the Sensor Flyer. No Mono Sensor version on the roadmap.

https://www.sony-sem...ra/product.html

• calypsob likes this

#88 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

Based on QHY related information, I was told Sony was providing mono sensors to them. Not sensors for use in a bayer matrix removal process.

Oh. Well that indeed would be a game changer!
  • entilza likes this

#89 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

Misinformation.

No not at all. The chemical debayer procedured has been discussed openly by QHY several times.

Having access to true monochrome is new information.

#90 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 02:57 PM

Weird, Sony on their Sensor Roadmap have never had a Mono version of the Sensor shown? This is their roadmap showing current and future sensors.

Click on IMX571, no mention of Mono in the Sensor Flyer. No Mono Sensor version on the roadmap.
https://www.sony-sem...ra/product.html

Maybe they are throwing us a bone for once.
  • calypsob likes this

#91 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:02 PM

Check out this thread, the voice from ZWO no less, saying that the IMX071 Mono version was modified:

https://bbs.astronom...opic.php?t=8338

And here is an example of QHY modifying a Sony Colour Sensor to make it Mono.

https://www.facebook...78553368914610/

So it does happen, it has happened, and Sony have not yet announced a Mono IMX571 Sensor. If it's for release in October it should be in the Sony Roadmap by now, because they are clearly not secretive about their Sensor releases, they want every camera maker to see what is coming and get designs going for the new Sensors. I personally would not trust a Mono IMX571 based camera unless Sony put the Mono Sensor on their website/roadmap.

#92 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

Check out this thread, the voice from ZWO no less, saying that the IMX071 Mono version was modified:

https://bbs.astronom...opic.php?t=8338

And here is an example of QHY modifying a Sony Colour Sensor to make it Mono.

https://www.facebook...78553368914610/

So it does happen, it has happened, and Sony have not yet announced a Mono IMX571 Sensor. If it's for release in October it should be in the Sony Roadmap by now, because they are clearly not secretive about their Sensor releases, they want every camera maker to see what is coming and get designs going for the new Sensors. I personally would not trust a Mono IMX571 based camera unless Sony put the Mono Sensor on their website/roadmap.

No one said it doesn't or hasn't happened. QHY had their mono modded 367C camera in the hands of testers. I think someone here has a copy of it. People were told that QHY at least was waiting on sensors from Sony. Now that could just be more color ones they intend to mod, but I have heard nothing of the sort. QHY was very direct about their project to mono mod the 367C, whereas here they are promising a 4/3 and APS-C mono camera with no mention of mods.

#93 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:21 PM

No not at all. The chemical debayer procedured has been discussed openly by QHY several times.

Not in this context though and not with regard to the QHY268M camera.

#94 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:22 PM

Maybe it's a different Sensor then, not one from Sony (unless you can find an as yet unreleased Mono APS-C on their Roadmap), either way it's not going to be an IMX571 Sensor according to Sony Sensor Roadmap, which is about a year ahead of the Sensor releases, so a new Mono Sensor from Sony, if it went on the Roadmap today, would not be released until August 2021.

I definitely now remember reading a QHY employee saying there wouldn't be an IMX571 Mono, it was posted on either their Facebook page or on their Forum in answer to the 'Mono' question a couple of months ago, can't remember which board and can't find it again. I'm sure they said something about issues engineering one, based on the way the colour one was manufactured.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 18 August 2020 - 03:23 PM.

#95 Dean J.

Dean J.

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:27 PM

Maybe it's a different Sensor then, not one from Sony (unless you can find an as yet unreleased Mono APS-C on their Roadmap), either way it's not going to be an IMX571 Sensor according to Sony Sensor Roadmap, which is about a year ahead of the Sensor releases, so a new Mono Sensor from Sony, if it went on the Roadmap today, would not be released until August 2021.

I definitely now remember reading a QHY employee saying there wouldn't be an IMX571 Mono, it was posted on either their Facebook page or on their Forum in answer to the 'Mono' question a couple of months ago, can't remember which board and can't find it again. I'm sure they said something about issues engineering one, based on the way the colour one was manufactured.

Maybe this video will change your mind...  ;-)

https://www.youtube....youtu.be&t=2753

If I recall, the info on the mono IMX571 camera starts at about 43:00 minutes.
  • rockstarbill likes this

#96 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:31 PM

The below were posted by ZWO in May 2020. So they are not looking at a Mono based on the IMX571.

"Cedric:

hello #zwo,

There will soon be a new mono camera based on the ASI2600?"

"ZWO Astronomy Cameras:

Sorry Cedric, for now we do not have this plan. We might have one new mono camera this year, but it's not based on ASI2600. Can't tell more on this ;D"

https://www.facebook...07313975984474/

#97 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

A lot has changed since May it seems. QHY already announced the mono IMX571 camera. I don't have any idea where or how they got mono versions but that's where the information available has us at.

Appears that someone asked...

https://stargazerslo...comment=3918873

Edited by rockstarbill, 18 August 2020 - 03:45 PM.

#98 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Viking 1

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:43 PM

Maybe this video will change your mind...  ;-)

https://www.youtube....youtu.be&t=2753

If I recall, the info on the mono IMX571 camera starts at about 43:00 minutes.

It won't change my mind yet, which is that Sony don't have an IMX571 Mono Sensor.

ZWO have no plans for an IMX571 Mono (because Sony are not making a Mono Sensor, or it would be on their Roadmap and it isn't), so for QHY to get a Mono version they are either modifying the IMX571 Sensor, or paying Sony to do it for them, or paying Sony to make a run of Mono Sensors specifically for them under contract.

#99 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Cosmos

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:46 PM

It won't change my mind yet, which is that Sony don't have an IMX571 Mono Sensor.

ZWO have no plans for an IMX571 Mono (because Sony are not making a Mono Sensor, or it would be on their Roadmap and it isn't), so for QHY to get a Mono version they are either modifying the IMX571 Sensor, or paying Sony to do it for them, or paying Sony to make a run of Mono Sensors specifically for them under contract.

Read the link I posted above. Apparently they do have plans now.
  • calypsob likes this

#100 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:56 PM

Not in this context though and not with regard to the QHY268M camera.

Well id love to dig around for the post explaining this in more detail. Its out there which I believe sparked the initial post from ccs hello. I believe the MONOmod group got all of this information going, I only see one example on cn but there is alot on the qhy forum

https://www.cloudyni...sc-mono-camera/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics