•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Sky Version 6 Pro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#1 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

Anyone using this yet?

Kind of looks like The Sky meets Starry Nights. Much better looking, let's hope it still works well.

Ordered mine today :jump:

#2 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Here's the link, if anyone is interested...

http://www.bisque.co...oducts/thesky6/

#3 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

Got it ordered (TheSky Pro - upgrade from v5 LIV).... :yay:

#4 Tom L

Tom L

ISS

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:24 PM

the upgrade for me to TheSky6 Serious Astronomer is $119 from my basic student version. I might as well get Starry Night Pro for that price. I have an old version of Starry Night and have never been that excited about TheSky.

#5 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 02 May 2004 - 02:09 AM

I hope you guys will leave a review on V6 as I am interested in purchasing it, I am using Starry Night Pro 4.5 with 4.52 patch, Starry Night Pro has its ups and downs as I am very critical of the writing of the software such as bloat ware, the question is going to be is V5 to V6 a reasonable upgrade or is it just added bloat ware as Starry Night Pro V4 to 4.5 is added bloat.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:56 PM

I will when I get it....may take a few days/weeks while/whilst I cope with the OOOOH-AAAH factor :rolling:

#7 Posaunist

Posaunist

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:47 AM

I'm looking at buying one of the two (The Sky Six or Starry Night Pro Plus). What is supposed to be a better program? I have Starry Night Backyard right now, and I've never worked with The Sky. Thanks.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 May 2004 - 05:25 AM

Check out my write up about Starry Night Pro at this thread
http://www.cloudynig...sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Ya I know its in the wrong place but was used on an LX200

#9 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:54 AM

FYI

Dear Valued Software Bisque Customer,

Thank you very much your recent Software Bisque order.

Just so you know, we've been overwhelmed with TheSky6 orders, so we are currently about three weeks behind in shipping orders out the door (meaning your order will be shipped about three weeks after it was placed).

We are processing orders as quickly as possible, and hope to catch up soon, so there is a chance your order will not take quite so long, but conservatively expect about a three week delay.

#10 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:58 AM

...and I ordered mine the day they announced the release. You would think that they would have a 30 day trial download from the web! I am thinking maybe they pulled the release to fix some bugs. :shrug:

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:30 PM

Does anybody know if Sky 6 will support 3D acceleration, I cant seem to find the answer on their site, but the way its described it sounds like it does, is it Open GL or Direct 3D???

#12 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:17 PM

Well The Sky v6 did finally arrive. I am overall pretty happy with product. There are some bugs, some pretty big ones :) I hope they patch it soon. The "Night Vision" mode does not work on any of the 8 computers I have here at home. There are a handful of bugs like this. v6 is not quite as laptop friendly as previous versions it takes a bit of computer power to run v6. There is no 3D acceleration Goggles, as far as I can tell there is no need for any 3D rendering at all. I am sure it uses Direct Draw and other 2D acceleration. It seems to perform just about the same on my 1.2ghz 512mb laptop as my Dual 3.2ghz Xeon 8gb workstation.

They have done a great job in making the sky look visually realistic from the look of stars and star glow to horizon, moon and sun glow/refraction. I do not believe however these are 3D rendered, but use alpha channel bit maps.

I am off to check out the rest of the features.

#13 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:06 AM

Melvy, get back soon, waiting to hear more.

#14 Tom T

Tom T

A Father, A Teacher, A Pioneer

• In Memoriam

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:10 AM

I've been using it for a number of weeks now.

There are several things I absolutly love, and a few things that leave me scratching my head. Printing charts is one of the things I'm still having issues with. It appears to hate my printers (I've tried several different ones) - everything looks great on the print preview, but when it gets sent to the printer, all my icons (Globulars, Open Clusters, Nebula, etc..) drop right off the charts, leaving them - well... a bit less than useful. I'm sure this will be resolved at some point.

IMO, there are a few bugs that still need to be squashed, but overall it's a heck of a program. One final note: the Bisques appear to be pretty quick (for the most part) at addressing the issues.

Tom T.

#15 dgs©

dgs©

Hubble

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:13 AM

Tom, could it be a color problem? I don't know if you are using a color printer (all cartridges have ink?) or a laser. Sometimes a certain color won't show up on a laser... gets "greyscaled" out of existence.
Just a quick thought.

#16 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:52 AM

David,

That thought had occured to me (and I'd seen it occur with some of their labels and fixed it there) - however I've used 5-6 different "printers" (two actual printers and three PDF creators) on two different computers and had the same problem with both.

Thanks tho - any thing else I could try?

Tom T.

#17 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:40 PM

Tom do you get the message: Error : error code 254(fe)?

I get this error in a lot of opperations. Like when I try to change to red screen mode and when connecting to my scope. It seems to try to bring up the display props. box and is unable to then pops up this error code.

The more I use it the more I find that is broken. I am thinking of asking them for The Sky 5 as this is pretty much unusable for me.

#18 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

Tom, there is a hotfix update already. It fixed many of my problems and I did see a change log about printer issues.

The many problems I was having were caused mainly by one bug keeping dialog boxes from showing so I did not know what the program was telling me. Things are going MUCH better now.

#19 Tom T

Tom T

• In Memoriam

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

Melvy -

You get the Error 254(fe) if you are changing to night vision mode and you don't have your current windows theme saved.

Right click on desktop, select properties, select themes, click "save as".

Thanks for the heads up on the patch, but I've applied all the hotfixes, and no joy in mudville. :(

I've been corresponding with one of the Bisques on it tho, and am hopeful they will have a fix in a short period of time.

I'd encourage you to stay with it a while longer. The learning curve on this one was a little higher for me, but the program does have a lot to offer. I'm glad I stuck with it. (Now if I can only get this darn printing bug fixed...)

T

#20 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:42 PM

Tom, thanks I managed to come to that conclusion after I installed the Hotfix. You see the problem was the bug kept me from seeing the box that said "save your theame *bleep*!" :)

Most things work well now that I get feedback from the program.

#21 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:38 PM

I will when I get it....may take a few days/weeks while/whilst I cope with the OOOOH-AAAH factor :rolling:

Well, I received my copy of TheSky v6, and it's a wretched piece of garbage thus far.

I've tried installing on three different optical drives (all PCs running WinXP Pro or Home) and all it does is, a.) Lock up My Computer, or b.), sit and grind away on the optical drive, making no progress.

I've instructed Software Bisque to send a working copy; if there are difficulties with it, I'm sending v5 (bought in anticipation of v6) and v6 back for a full refund.

Bottom line: It ain't ready for Prime Time - it's obviously shovelware.

Avoid until they fix it or withdraw it... :flame:

#22 melvy

melvy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:50 PM

Rusty you had problems with both the DVD and the CDs? I had problems with the CDs on one computer, but the DVD worked perfectly.

#23 rboe

rboe

ISS

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:57 PM

I've had issues recently with burnt CD's locking up laptops when using the stock CD reader. Worked OK on the CD-RW though. Either the CD was not closed or it was a bad burn. So maybe the media is your problem and not the software.

#24 Rusty

Rusty

ISS

• In Memoriam

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:42 AM

I used:
1. CD-RW drive
2. DVD/CDROM drive
3. DVD/CD-RW combo drive

last night; since then I tried:

4. 50X CDROM
5. Plextor CD-RW

The Plextor loaded it, but since it is in the server at work, I couldn't try installing.

Except for the Plextor, I never did get past the installation CD sitting there spinning/grinding the drive. Having wasted well over an hour, I'm waiting for Software Bisque to confirm they're going to send a replacement.

I don't know if these are burned or stamped CDs, but I suspect the latter; QC is poor in any event. Disk 1 had considerable crud (it seemed to be some kind of glue)on it and some surface damage, but even after cleaning off the crud, it still failed in all but that one drive.

#25 gordon

gordon

Viking 1

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:43 PM

I am so pleased I read this post, I was going to buy it, but I will now wait a while

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics