•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

C8 mounting question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:56 PM

I recently bought a C8 SCT and a Vixen Polaris mount for it. I bought them both used from Astromart but the scope came with a dovetail plate that I found out will not work with the old Polaris mount. I think I need rings for it but I have not been able to find any big enough. If anybody knows where I can find something to attach my scope to the mount that would be great. Thanks! :foreheadslap:

#2 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:16 PM

Celestron used to sell the C8 OTA on the Vixen mount. A dovetail bar was bolted to the Vixen mount and a female dovetail was attached to the OTA. If you contact Ken of Ken's rings and things, he can sell you a female dovetail set that attaches to the mount and the male portion that goes on the scope. That's backward from what I just described but it's similar to the modern system used by the Great Polaris and its clones.

http://www.kendauzat.net/

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Don, I really appreciate it. I emailed Ken to see what he has and hopefully I'll be able to get my setup going.

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:38 PM

If he can't come through, I actually do have the original Celestron set up, but I've been sorta hanging on to it for another project.

#5 Victor Kennedy

Victor Kennedy

Pooh-Bear

Posted 24 April 2004 - 01:55 AM

I have a C8 mounted on a Vixen GP-DX. I bought a set of rings from Ken’s rings, and I use a dovetail plate from Stellarvue. The dovetail was about 2 mm too wide, so I machined it down to fit.

#6 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:15 AM

Along those lines, have any of you tried mounting a C8 OTA on an Orion Skyview Pro mount? Can the mount handle the tube?

#7 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:00 AM

Yes, it's basically a CG-5 clone which Celestron sells with their C8.

#8 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Ken is going to be able to make another plate for me so it should work after all.

#9 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

Hey Don,
I can get the set up from Ken but he's wants $115 for it. I'm wondering if I can get what I need anywhere else cheaper and just wanted to see exactly what you had so I know what to look for. I have a losmandy plate and I think if I can find the correct vixen dovetail plate that it might work instead. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what I need and would appreciate any info you can give.
Thanks!

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2004 - 07:04 PM

It'd help if you could describe or send a pic of the mounting arrangement on the mount. If it already has the Vixen dovetail saddle on it you are within $25 of being all done.

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

I'm going to assume that you have a Losmandy DC 8 dovetail. If so, you'll need Losmandy's G11 saddle (part #G-11 SP) and the Polaris adapter plate (part # APP). There both listed on Losmandy's website http://www.losmandy.com.

However, it'll cost ya but it's pretty solid.

This is a similiar setup that I used when I had my Super Polaris mount and an Ultima 9.25 OTA. It was way too shaky and I've upgraded the mount since.

Cheers!
Rolly

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics