•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Criterion Dynascope 12 saved from doom!

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#151 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:37 AM

Old school Newts just keep giving great views while SCT's just don't cut it on avg.  This is why i never bought into the AP craze spending big time money for  a TEC- AP or Tak in the 6" size range.  To me a used 6" AP OTA costing $16k would not give much more of a better image vs that sub $200 RV6 i had.

Shame no more slow Newts are made.

• Jason H., Bonco2 and BradFran like this

#152 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Southern NH

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:05 AM

Please keep the topic drift at bay.  Thank you.

Charlie

#153 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:55 AM

Here ya go CHAS, to keep this thread clean:   https://www.cloudyni...reflector-fans/

#154 highfnum

highfnum

Aurora

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

that 12 is a beauty 

last time i saw one of those close up  was in the old  NYC planetarium (HAYDEN)

before it was knocked down and replaced with an inferior (IMHO) planetarium 

they had one on display 

so before 1990's

i have RV-6 which still performs 

enjoy

• Jason H. and Bomber Bob like this

#155 JWBriggs

JWBriggs

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Magdalena, New Mexico

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:54 PM

Hi Jason,

Congratulations on finding and restoring that cool 12.5-inch Dynascope!  I had a Dynascope catalogue in middle school in the early 1970s, and I spent hours gazing at it and dreaming....

Your scope is essentially twin, even in small details, to one that was purchased new in 1972 for a summer science program called Camp Uraniborg that was running at the Portsmouth Abbey School in Rhode Island.  I thought I should relay that because it's a bit of evidence that's useful to date when yours was made -- very likely, close to 1972.

I attended Uraniborg that year and still have clear & fond memories of how impressive the Dynascope seemed.  Although effective for the program (which included photoelectric photometry), the optical performance wasn't ideal.  In fact, the mirror wasn't fully polished-out.  The optical problems were at least in part, if not entirely, due to the fact the telescope had to be delivered in time for the summer camp.  So it had been a rushed job, of necessity.  Rick Shaffer, later well known at RTMC in California, was our telescope-making instructor at Uraniborg, and he's the one who later recalled the "inside" history of the Uraniborg Dynascope for me.

About eight years later (an interval that seemed a long time back then!) I visited the school in Rhode Island and discovered that the telescope (which had been left behind when the Camp moved-on in 1973 to Newberry Springs in California) was in neglected storage.  I was able to acquire it nearly free, and I repainted it and set it up at my home in Massachusetts.  It was very exciting!  That's why I remember odd details about it so clearly even now.  The Uraniborg primary, for example, was mounted just like yours in its cell, with several pads of thick foam rubber supporting it at its circumference.  It was not ideal.  But the Uraniborg scope certainly served its purpose and actually performed scientific measurements -- photoelectric photometry -- in 1972.  And it inspired the heck out of us!

I was very nostalgic about the Dynascope and normally would never have dreamed of parting with it.  But things came to pass that left me no choice.  Within a couple years, I discovered that there was a heavily tarnished 4 1/8-inch refractor at nearby Milton Academy.  It survived in a somewhat decayed original wooden storage chest.  I knew what it was as soon as I saw it, and I knew where to look for an inscription that I expected.  And there it was!  Clear, but not obvious without knowing to look:  "Alvan Clark & Sons, Cambridge, Mass. 1865."  The Milton Observatory had a larger refractor that they believed was a Clark and a number of other telescopes.  The astronomy instructor was receptive to the idea of trading away Milton's neglected 4 1/8-inch.  As I eventually learned, the teacher was in fact a famous science fiction author, Harry Clement Stubbs (1922-2003).  I returned with my father's station wagon, with the complete and very-well-painted 12.5-inch Dynascope resting in the back.  Mr. Stubbs had merely to look through the window into the back of the Pontiac, and he said, "OK, trade!Yet again, the Dynascope had worked its charm as an impressive instrument!

The 1865 Clark was tarnished but otherwise in very good condition, and for years it was a special jewel in my growing telescope collection.  And I really used it, eventually even here in New Mexico.  I particularly remember showing Encke's Comet to my young family.  I held onto that memory, however, because it was among the last times I used it.  Again, "things came to pass."  We needed to help pay for a job-related new home as I had become an engineer at Apache Point Observatory.  At the same time, I had an opportunity to sell the 1865 to the Alder Planetarium collection in Chicago.  Thus, I passed it along.  Last I saw, it's displayed right beside the 18 1/2-inch Dearborn telescope that's of very nearly the same vintage.

One always regrets parting with special instruments no matter how correct the decision was at the time.  But I've had enough luck finding other cool instruments for my own collection, so I'm quite at peace over the 1865 now!  And eventually I added another Clark from the same era to my collection -- the Allegheny College 7-inch.  (Negotiating that with the College took about 28 years, but it worked out!)

I posted the story of the Camp Uraniborg 12.5-inch Dynascope years ago on an early Criterion discussion group.  But it was long enough ago -- and now likely well-buried in Internet compost -- that I thought I should share the story again.

The epilogue is that eventually Milton Academy replaced its old observatory (that was neat but something of a ramshackle), and my close friend in New England, Ken Launie, acquired many things from there, including the Uraniborg Dynascope!   However, time and students had not been kind to the Dynascope.  The tube body was lost or hopelessly damaged as I recall, and Ken passed the equatorial mounting on to other hands.  The primary mirror -- still quite un-fully polished and not too well corrected -- remains in Ken's hands as far as I know.  And I've told him, with a smile -- please don't ever part with it, without telling me first!  ;-)

--John W. Briggs,

Magdalena, New Mexico.

PS:  A story related to a 12.5-inch that replaced the Dynascope at Uraniborg in 1973 is posted on the Cave Astrola website. 

Edited by JWBriggs, 07 September 2020 - 08:59 PM.

• Jason H., astro140, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#156 Jason H.

Jason H.

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:46 PM

"...I had a Dynascope catalogue in middle school in the early 1970s, and I spent hours gazing at it and dreaming...."

Thanks John, I enjoyed reading that account of multiple interesting telescopes.  The views through the Clark's must be a lot of fun!  As I understand it the husband of the prior owner of this Criterion Dynascope 12 recalled that it was bought new in 1970 (from a receipt they used to have), it having been purchased two owners earlier, and the telescope was laying under the elements horizontally at the original and subsequent owners real estate/site in South Florida for years.  That IMO is the likely reason that the secondary was so weathered/degraded regarding the mirror coatings.  Frankly I was surprised that the primary works at all given the environment circumstances it was under, but it's doing pinpoints on globular clusters and doing OK enough on other objects that it's worth bringing out for the deep stuff (relative to my easier to move other scopes).  I still haven't done a formal optical evaluation of it, but our weather should break in a few weeks and I'll be able to give it (my simpleton) contemplation relative to the earlier suggested tips.  Eventually it will have to be re-coated I guess, but I'd definitely want the mirror figure to be evaluated by an expert/Amateur optical wizard beforehand in case it needs further work (if that is even possible, or wise.)

I have to go track down the details relative to those other interesting items you mentioned (the Clark scopes, the Uraniborg scopes including the Cave, and read up on all the interesting looking organization names in your signature line too.)   

Jason H.

Edited by Jason H., 13 September 2020 - 12:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics