•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How do you mount your classics?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#26 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

Hi Larry did you get that new (old) scope yet.

#27 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Hubble

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:29 PM

Practicality rules for me! A lot of old mounts are cool to look at...a lot are dogs to use imo. (well, the ones that came with mine anyway! lol.gif )

So they ride on a modern "share the clamps" mount when used - except for the little Asahi Pentax which now has his alt/az yoke etc on his own tall tripod that *he definitely loves! grin.gif

* To me "Asahi" sounds more like a girl's name tbh - but what would I know..?!?

• steve t, Terra Nova and Bowlerhat like this

#28 KentTolley

KentTolley

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

I have 3 that I use:

CG-5 Adv. GT

1981 DS-16 Meade

1950's  Cave Astrola 2" dec shaft /tangent arm

Would you show a picture of the Cave mount?

#29 LDW47

LDW47

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

Hi Larry did you get that new (old) scope yet.

I am hold up at home like everyone else until the province gives the OK to travel, even though they can’t really stop me ! Up here in North Bay there are only a handful of cases, down there in Guelph there are a fair number so I will wait it out. Everything is up in the air, we don’t even know when we will get to our camp in Quebec. He is holding it for me thank god !  Clear waiting skiys !

• steve t, Terra Nova and walter a like this

#30 Seba

Seba

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 November 2020 - 03:04 PM

How do you mount your classics? I myself, prefer a mix of modern and classic options for mounts, a mix of equatorial and alt-azimuth options, and also a mix of driven, geared or otherwise slow-motion enabled, as well as simple non-geared push-to, glide and sweep friction-clutched mounts. Just like I've been going through my telescopes, moving out and trading up and generally thinning the herd down to my dozen keepers, I've been doing the same with my mounts. Over the past year a number of mounts have gone bye-bye and I have acquired some new ones. This is what I now have and plan on keeping for the foreseeable future.

GERMAN EQ MOUNTS:

1. Meade LX85 go-to (my newest) on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  2. Meade LX70 (GP-grade)  with dual drives on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  3. Celestron Omni (P-grade) single RA drive on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  4. Jaegers Heavy Duty 1" steel shaft re-built mount on heavy duty surveyors tripod
  5. Edmund  Medium Duty 5/8" steel shaft re-built mount on 3’ pier
  6. Zeiss T1 mount matching Zeiss wood tripod

ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNTS:

1. TeleVue Gibralter on heavy-weight TV ashwood tripod
  2. TeleVue Panoramic on light-weight TV ashwood tripod
  3. Vixen Paramount II on Vixen HAL130 aluminum tripod
  4. Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar mount on Orion Paragon XHD tripod
  5. Unitron model 114 vintage mount and folding wooden tripod

OTHER:

1. Celestron Wedge with custom Questar adapter mounting plate UA steel reinforced wooden surveyors tripod (I also have a lightweight wooden tripod with a flat hub, machined to fit the Questar's fork mount base for when I want to use the Q as an alt-az grab and go.
  2. Stellarvue M1V with a binocular side-saddle on Benro TMA47AXL Extra Long Series 4 Mach3 tripod for my classic 20x80 binoculars

Only two of my mounts, the Zeiss and the Unitron 114 alt-az are matched with their original OTA and are used solely with those OTAs (although my 60mm Unitron can also be mounted on my other mounts as it fits in my Takahashi FC60 clamshell perfectly). Besides the Unitron and Zeiss mounts, all other GEMs (including the re-built Jaegers and Edmund mounts) have been outfitted with Vixen-type clamping jaws, (even my two TeleVue alt-az mounts). This makes for maximum usability and adaptability. Another important factor in being able to use a mount (particularly with a variety of OTAs) is to have an assortment of counterweights including some light-weight ones. Finally, all but my Zeiss have (either standard or as an option) been fitted with Vixen rails. Just as it's nice to have a choice in what particular telescope you are going to use for a particular session at home or away, it's nice to be able to choose from a variety of mounts. Modern mounts, especially go-to mounts offer a particularly attractive option for the urban observer who has to contend with light pollution. Moreover, the three contemporary Chinese mounts that I have (I've been using the Celestron Omni CG-4 for ten years) are smooth and stable, rugged and reliable mounts. The Meade LX70 is every bit as good as my former Vixen GP mount and it's on a much more stable tripod. I think the Omni CG-4 is actually a much better mount that the Vixen Polaris I used to have. In fact, I had them both at the same time and chose to keep the CG-4 and sell the Polaris. It really is that good! The mount is built around the old Polaris design but has undergone a number of improvements. As a trouble free, grab-and-go/travel GEM, it's still my favorite. With regard to modern alt-az options, I've been using my Vixen Porta II now for ten years with no complaints. It has replaced my former Vixen Custom-D and I like it much better. 

So how do you mount your classics?

Hello TerraNova.

Could you share a photo of your binoculars with me (Stellarvue M1V with a binocular side-saddle on Benro TMA47AXL Extra Long Series 4 Mach3 tripod for my classic 20x80 binoculars).

I want to understand how you connected them to that mount.

I bought my first pair of binoculars (25x100) and I want to buy the same tripod, but I still don't know how I'm going to mount them.

I live in Chile and here it is not very easy or cheap to buy this type of equipment. I would like to be able to import a P-mount to enjoy the binoculars.

Would you give me your point of view from that tripod too?

Thanks!!

#31 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 05 November 2020 - 04:30 PM

2 Pairs of vintage M's...

1980s Meade StarFinder EQs:

Meade SF - Pedestal Restores S03 (Both).jpg

1980s Mizar Super Polaris / AR-1 EQs:

2 Mizar EQ Mounts - Complete S02.jpg

Edited by Bomber Bob, 05 November 2020 - 04:33 PM.

• photiost, steve t, icomet and 6 others like this

#32 photoracer18

photoracer18

Soyuz

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:05 PM

While I don't favor go-to mounts I still have a few of which most should be gone by next year. My three main mounts are:

Schaefer AT-9

A-P AP900QMD

A-P AP400QMD

AT-9-1.jpg

AP900-mounted-800g.gif

SVA130EDT-400.jpg

Edited by photoracer18, 05 November 2020 - 08:12 PM.

• Eric P, CharlieB, astro140 and 11 others like this

#33 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:50 PM

My all time favorite is the Edmund 'Extra Heavy Duty' 1-1/2 inch shaft mount.

Its all cast iron so it's very solid.

I like being able to change the height with standard 4" pipe sections.

A new mount is seriously challenging the old Edmund, a Cave Astrola.

The Astrola is aluminum and also has 1-1/2 inch shafts but the ball bearings

are so nice with a heavy telescope as opposed to sleeve bearings on the Edmund.

Robert

post-50896-0-09084200-1545870196.jpg

IMG_9811.jpg

Edited by clamchip, 05 November 2020 - 08:53 PM.

• Paul Schroeder, astro140, steve t and 6 others like this

#34 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 November 2020 - 11:32 PM

It's pretty common to mount OTAs (classics or not) with photo tripods in japan.

Telescope mounting-classics

For me, Rings, Dovetail, Tripod and simple AZ mount. 

Goto Kogaku 6,5cm (1)

Lighter setup, is with photo tripods.

Vixen Grab and Go

I think I'd rather have a mount with many telescopes rather than every mount - not enough space yet. It'll be great as a museum display, but lacks in portability and ease of set up.

Except my asahi mount, but this one will accomodate other OTAS too. Brilliant scope, brilliant mount.

Asahi transplant

Edited by Bowlerhat, 05 November 2020 - 11:58 PM.

• astro140, steve t, icomet and 3 others like this

#35 rguasto

rguasto

Apollo

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:48 AM

1959 8" Dynascope. 

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT20867.jpg

• steve t, icomet, mdowns and 3 others like this

#36 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:44 AM

How do you mount your classics? I myself, prefer a mix of modern and classic options for mounts, a mix of equatorial and alt-azimuth options, and also a mix of driven, geared or otherwise slow-motion enabled, as well as simple non-geared push-to, glide and sweep friction-clutched mounts. Just like I've been going through my telescopes, moving out and trading up and generally thinning the herd down to my dozen keepers, I've been doing the same with my mounts. Over the past year a number of mounts have gone bye-bye and I have acquired some new ones. This is what I now have and plan on keeping for the foreseeable future.

GERMAN EQ MOUNTS:

1. Meade LX85 go-to (my newest) on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  2. Meade LX70 (GP-grade)  with dual drives on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  3. Celestron Omni (P-grade) single RA drive on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  4. Jaegers Heavy Duty 1" steel shaft re-built mount on heavy duty surveyors tripod
  5. Edmund  Medium Duty 5/8" steel shaft re-built mount on 3’ pier
  6. Zeiss T1 mount matching Zeiss wood tripod

ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNTS:

4. Universal Astronomics Dwarfstar mount on Orion Paragon XHD tripod
  5. Unitron model 114 vintage mount and folding wooden tripod

OTHER:

1. Celestron Wedge with custom Questar adapter mounting plate UA steel reinforced wooden surveyors tripod (I also have a lightweight wooden tripod with a flat hub, machined to fit the Questar's fork mount base for when I want to use the Q as an alt-az grab and go.
  2. Stellarvue M1V with a binocular side-saddle on Benro TMA47AXL Extra Long Series 4 Mach3 tripod for my classic 20x80 binoculars.

I’m down a couple now. The Meade LX85 and the UA Dwarfstar/Paragon HD are now gone. As the paring down continues, several more are on the list to go along with a couple more classic scopes (the last Unitron and the Swift) in 2021.

• steve t likes this

#37 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

Hello TerraNova.

Could you share a photo of your binoculars with me (Stellarvue M1V with a binocular side-saddle on Benro TMA47AXL Extra Long Series 4 Mach3 tripod for my classic 20x80 binoculars).

I want to understand how you connected them to that mount.

I bought my first pair of binoculars (25x100) and I want to buy the same tripod, but I still don't know how I'm going to mount them.

I live in Chile and here it is not very easy or cheap to buy this type of equipment. I would like to be able to import a P-mount to enjoy the binoculars.

Would you give me your point of view from that tripod too?

Thanks!!

This isn’t really the appropriate forum for this and I have posted pictures in the Binocular forum but here goes:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1293C3F3-E68A-4F39-9F0F-7CAB276A715C.jpeg
  • BA4C8AAA-248A-49AF-9248-0D9E34B55138.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 06 November 2020 - 10:59 AM.

• steve t, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#38 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:00 PM

My Vixen 80L sits on the NP mount it came with: heavy but extremely solid. The mount for the little Tasco 9T is broken, so it gets ti ride on a GP mount, so it is totally over mounted.
  • steve t and Terra Nova like this

#39 CharlieB

CharlieB

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 07 November 2020 - 05:09 PM

A very nice combo.  Nikon tripod, S-B alt-az mount and an Edmund Super Space Conqueror all waiting for Mars tonight (if it clears up a bit).

DSC_0278.JPG

• davidmcgo, payner, clamchip and 3 others like this

#40 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:41 PM

The Pentax 85 and Unitron 142 are on their original mounts. The Questar either uses its three legs or gets put on a photo tripod with a geared head to facilitate polar alignment. The AP refractor rode on its AP 706 mount for most of its years, which carries it well, but is a headache for setup and polar alignment. I tried it on a G11 for a while, and now it's back on an AP mount - a 900, which I'm still debugging for better go-tos (need to put some effort into better polar alignment and checking for cone error). It seems, at heart, I have a bias toward not mixing scopes and mounts of different brands. Heaven help me if I ever decide to buy a Takahashi. 

Chip W. 

• steve t likes this

#41 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 08 November 2020 - 05:56 PM

I have one EQ mount: a Vixen GP which can take any of my scopes, so that is fine for those longer sessions, or when I really want smooth accurate driven tracking.

Alt-Az wise I have a modified Skywatcher AZ3 which takes my Swift 839 or my Lunt 60, and my AZ4 mount, which takes the Swift 831 or Tak FC100.

Both of these mounts go on my Berlebach UNI-18 tripod which is a real workhorse, and being wooden has a "sorta classic" look to it!  ;) 

Now I would LIKE to own a Super Polaris as the adoptive mount for the Swift 831, and a Pentax J60 or J80 mount, just because... so lovely!

Ant

• steve t likes this

#42 rogue river art

rogue river art

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Grants Pass,Oregon

Posted 09 November 2020 - 04:45 PM

It's amazing how many different mounts there are and some great home made ones also and complicated setups. My mount is a nice looking mount but very basic EQ with a weight driven clock which is also very basic in design. I just like old school looks since I'm not taking pictures or trying to discover any new planets. The mount is built with solid brass and bronze with stainless steel and titainum 1" rods mounted with ball bearings and needle thrust bearings. Very heavy as you can guess. The counter weight is 16 lbs by itself. My self at 77 yo still lift it above my head to install on the tripod then the scope on top of that. Not really hard to do and only takes about 20 minutes to get ready for viewing.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200415_165551807.jpg
  • IMG_20200415_165540834.jpg

• Spyke, Eric P, markb and 16 others like this

#43 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:22 PM

Since I do just casual viewing, I am an altaz mount person. Two small scopes on vintage unitron 114 mounts, my Japan Celestron C-60 refractor, and my 90 ETX, which I switch out occasionally with my black tube C-90 vintage mak. I use my wonderful Celestron C-80 refractor on either the vixen altaz, or sometimes the unitron 140 altaz. These unitron mounts have to be the best altaz mounts ever made, so smooth and built like a tank. The vixen altaz is a very good and easy mount also, but there is sometimes a little backlash when you either begin or either stop turning the slow motion cables.

For casual viewing, a small refractor, or a small mak, or a spotter on one of the unitron 114 altaz mounts can not be beat. Carry it out with one hand, aim, and start viewing.

• steve t likes this

#44 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 01:52 PM

I’m down a couple now. The Meade LX85 and the UA Dwarfstar/Paragon HD are now gone. As the paring down continues, several more are on the list to go along with a couple more classic scopes (the last Unitron and the Swift) in 2021.

I’ve had several days to reconsider my earlier comment and have decided that tho the Swift will go, the Unitron 114 will stay as I had such a strong desire to have one back in the mid-1960s when I was new to the hobby and it stands as a realization to that dream. Afterall, every AA needs at least one fine F15 refractor. That one will remain my example.

• memento, steve t, aa6ww and 1 other like this

#45 Spyke

Spyke

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scotland

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:45 PM

I’ve had several days to reconsider my earlier comment and have decided that tho the Swift will go, the Unitron 114 will stay as I had such a strong desire to have one back in the mid-1960s when I was new to the hobby and it stands as a realization to that dream. Afterall, every AA needs at least one fine F15 refractor. That one will remain my example.

Which Swift?   fishing.gif

#46 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:01 PM

Which Swift?   fishing.gif

Her 839

https://www.cloudyni...ess/?p=10648063

• Spyke and Terra Nova like this

#47 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 17 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

In my quest to downsize I’m down a few mounts. The present inventory:

GERMAN EQ MOUNTS

1. Meade LX70 (CG-5)  with dual drives on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  2. Celestron Omni CG-4 single RA drive on 1.75" stainless steel tripod
  3. Jaegers Heavy Duty 1" steel shaft re-built mount on heavy duty surveyors tripod
  4. Edmund  Medium Duty 5/8" steel shaft re-built mount on 3’ pier

ALT-AZIMUTH MOUNTS*

4. Stellarvue M1V on a Zeiss wooden tripod.

*My Unitron model 114 vintage mount and folding wooden tripod is mothballed in it’s heavy wooden cabinet. I’ve also put the tube cradle in mothballs and have a pair of modern hinged tube rings and a vixen mounting rail for my 114 OTA which I prefer to use it on my other mounts.

• steve t, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#48 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

The 80mm f7 Jaegers now has a Unitron 114 mount dedicated to it. The 80mm f15 Jaegers is now on a Towa 339 with a clock drive, so both have re-entered the loaner set.

Once the numbers are down enough here so that I can get packing materials if necessary, I'll be putting my Losmandy G11 up for sale - I'm pretty happy with how the AP refractor is riding on the AP900 mount.

The Edmund 8" has been temporarily riding the CGEM-DX that I use for outreach, but it will be getting its own dob mount over the summer, so it can be loaned out next fall.

I'm working on getting a dovetail saddle to fit the AP706, and thinking of using it for outreach instead of the CGEM-DX, but it would also need a shorter pier. 

Chip W. 

• steve t likes this

#49 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:38 PM

Certainly some beautiful mounts have been presentedwaytogo.gif

• steve t likes this

#50 brian dewelles

brian dewelles

Explorer 1

• Vendors
  • Loc: Wickenburg AZ.

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:38 PM

I have had this mount in yard for 18 years. It can hold almost any big newtonian. Right now a ten inch f6 cave. Dont know who made it, amateur i'm sure and they knew what they were doing.

RA and Dec are automotive axles i think. Pier is hollow concrete but still quite heavy, its buried about a foot in ground. I was 47 when i last moved it and a friend helped. Hope i never have to move it again. I have had about a dozen scopes on it over the years.

Attached Thumbnails

• Webp.net-resizeimage (17).jpg
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (18).jpg
  • Webp.net-resizeimage (19).jpg

• astro140, steve t, icomet and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics