•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CR150 f/8 HD6 ?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#126 Echolight

Echolight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:09 PM

Hope it makes it there this time!! Should be a great scope. They are classic scopes. Speaking of, here is one used as a finder on a 30 inch dob:

That's awesome!

#127 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:35 PM

That's awesome!

That was a very memorable night. Perfect conditions, a fireball, crazy amount of details with the 30 inch dob on Saturn (so many moons), my friend's new 16 inch Telekit was rocking. And I just brought that little 80mm. Then we slept on the deck there and looked up. I remember seeing the double cluster naked eye and it was just magical. Nights like that are not common for me. Especially nowadays. I hope to get some dark sky viewing again. Actually, that wasn't even an extremely dark sky there (greenish). But the conditions were so good.  Of course I'd take a green sky nowadays.

• Echolight likes this

#128 Echolight

Echolight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:22 PM

That was a very memorable night. Perfect conditions, a fireball, crazy amount of details with the 30 inch dob on Saturn (so many moons), my friend's new 16 inch Telekit was rocking. And I just brought that little 80mm. Then we slept on the deck there and looked up. I remember seeing the double cluster naked eye and it was just magical. Nights like that are not common for me. Especially nowadays. I hope to get some dark sky viewing again. Actually, that wasn't even an extremely dark sky there (greenish). But the conditions were so good.  Of course I'd take a green sky nowadays.

That little 80 looks sweet. Something like that is next on my list. And then I'll be set for a good while...

As long as the C6R comes in.

I'm  hoping to find time to go to some darker sites this summer. A couple of hours drive in just about any direction should put me under some dark skies.

The old Nexstar 8 will be a decent knock about grab and go for the closer trips. But I'll want something with a wide field of view if I go somewhere special.

There are several International Dark Sky Parks here in Texas. I think the closest is probably three or four hours away at least. But I'd have to look up the classifications to verify.

My cousin is in West Virginia. Up at Harpers Ferry. It's a very beautiful state. And then there's this

https://youtu.be/6LPqK4Fr36c

Edited by Echolight, 22 May 2020 - 11:34 PM.

#129 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:38 AM

Yes...it is quite beautiful here! We just moved here 3 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long). I love being so close to great fishing/hiking/mountains.

I agree it would be nice to have a little grab and go 80mm to pair with the C6R. They are nice for quick wide field views. And if you get an ED version, they do fairly well on the moon and planets. But of course aperture limited, so that has to be understood beforehand. They also seem to be pretty good cost wise. This one from our sponsor looks like a very nice value: https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

I no longer have that one in the picture (it was a William Optics 80mm FD on a Vixen Porta Mount). But I do have the Vixen 81s which is super nice (little pricier though). However, they come on the used market for good deals fairly often.

You live anywhere close to pan handle of Oklahoma? I went to a Star Party there called Okie Tex. It was pretty nice. I live too far from there now though. Here is a picture of my setup there:

DSC 0211

• Echolight likes this

#130 Echolight

Echolight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:21 AM

Yes...it is quite beautiful here! We just moved here 3 years ago (hard to believe it's been that long). I love being so close to great fishing/hiking/mountains.

I agree it would be nice to have a little grab and go 80mm to pair with the C6R. They are nice for quick wide field views. And if you get an ED version, they do fairly well on the moon and planets. But of course aperture limited, so that has to be understood beforehand. They also seem to be pretty good cost wise. This one from our sponsor looks like a very nice value: https://www.astronom...ractor-ota.html

I no longer have that one in the picture (it was a William Optics 80mm FD on a Vixen Porta Mount). But I do have the Vixen 81s which is super nice (little pricier though). However, they come on the used market for good deals fairly often.

You live anywhere close to pan handle of Oklahoma? I went to a Star Party there called Okie Tex. It was pretty nice. I live too far from there now though. Here is a picture of my setup there:

That's a real nice setup you have. Love that short 150.

And no doubt a mid size dob will come this way some day. Looks huge though. I'll have to build a new shed before I get something that large, because I'd want to store it assembled and acclimated. The refractors are pretty easy to store. And the C8 will likely stay set up most of the time.

I'm around Dallas. On the outer edge of suburbia. Looks pretty bright on the charts. I'm guessing 7.5 on the scale.

I think the closest registered dark sky site might be Enchanted Rock in the Hill Country of central Texas. I'm sure there's lots of good viewing up in the panhandle. And along the coast south of Corpus Chtisti. And West Texas out in the desert and mountains is probably best.

#131 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

That's actually a 5 inch Vixen 130SS ED refractor. I no longer have it, but it was a nice scope. Sadly had to sell it to fund other astro projects. 

This is the 6 inch F5:

Resized 20200427 201607 5198

The 6 inch F5 is a pretty specialized scope. I think your 6 inch F8 will do better on most situations. A more well rounded scope.

• Steve Cox and Echolight like this

#132 Echolight

Echolight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:28 PM

That's actually a 5 inch Vixen 130SS ED refractor. I no longer have it, but it was a nice scope. Sadly had to sell it to fund other astro projects. 

This is the 6 inch F5:

The 6 inch F5 is a pretty specialized scope. I think your 6 inch F8 will do better on most situations. A more well rounded scope.

The black with orange script will definitively match better with the rather largish grab and go I picked up this morning. Although a 130SS ED is kind of a fantasy of mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200523_120919~3.jpg

#133 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

That's a beautiful scope! I had a 5 inch version of that at one point. It was an awesome scope.

#134 Echolight

Echolight

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:31 PM

That's a beautiful scope! I had a 5 inch version of that at one point. It was an awesome scope.

Thanks! I think. I guess I might keep it around a while. 

That 6 inch f/5 looks terrific! Like a sports car! Really fast!

Speakin of fast... I got that four letter word "FAST ACHRO" in today!

My second order was cancelled by the shipper! I guess because my ship to address was different than billing address. And that always causes some confusion. Or maybe it was my bank thought it wasn't on the up-n-up so they declined it. I was just so fed up with it that I was just not going to mess with it anymore.

But then.... The original box came in today! It was beat to heck and looked like it had been around the world and retaped a time or two. They had already credited my account and requested that it be returned to shipper. But it came here this morning...and nobody tried to rebill me that I know of.

It had a nickel, maybe quarter size ding in the tube. And the ring bolts were bent. 

I don't know yet if they paid a claim and just brought it over and dropped it off on the porch or what.

This thing is HUGE!....but not too heavy.

Edited by Echolight, 27 May 2020 - 07:33 PM.

#135 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:22 PM

Yep. It's a good sized scope. Very cool.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics