•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APitis

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#51 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:42 AM

it´s an EDF"S" ...btw. ;)

• gjanke likes this

#52 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

it´s an EDF"S" ...btw. wink.gif

Easy to convert to an EDF, loosen one set screw, unthread the focuser, screw on the 4” focuser, tighten set screw. Takes under a minute, no effect on collimation.

• turtle86, R Botero, donadani and 1 other like this

#53 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:51 AM

no need for a change if you are strictly visual - I love the 155 EDFS - 13kg including everything - stunning scope - but 12k ??? hmm - without pics and shallowbrained advertised... - good luck! laugh.gif

Edited by donadani, 16 May 2020 - 09:52 AM.

• gjanke likes this

#54 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:17 AM

Got my hands on this beauty lately - should be one of the first pebbled tube 130EDFS...

...it was hardly used for ap before and the tube needed some serious cleaning - luckily the paintjob on these older EDF(S) is very tough and it had no scratches or chips so I could bring it back to "nearly like new" condition. The optic is prestine as it was cleaned professionally by Baader before by the preowner. When it arrived the lens could "roll" a bit in the cell as these older scopes have cork plates not only in the back but as well around the lenspack and one or two tenths of a millimeter were missing over the time despite all plates are still in place. After a short correspondation with AP it was an easy 10min fix and now all issues are adressed smile.gif

The focusser was changed by the preowner too because of ap-reasons and that was the reason I did not buy it when it was offered at first... but meanwhile a "like new" 2.7" focusser from a 155EDFS was offered too and so one part came to another and now it´s back in business - originally and in great condition waiting for firstlight... and heavens look good today smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Edited by donadani, 17 May 2020 - 02:50 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, moshen, plyscope and 18 others like this

#55 25585

Cosmos

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:01 PM

Fascinating range of models made. 6" F12 must have been a beast to handle. 

#56 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

...there´s no scope like a "Starfire"

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, plyscope and 8 others like this

#57 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:35 PM

attachicon.gifstarfire.jpg

...there´s no scope like a "Starfire"

I agree! What a fantastic picture!  

Excellent mechanical design with tapered edges and black accent from the retaining and mounting rings. The cream white and machined tube has been part of the continuing tradition of innovation and design for this small company located in Machesney Park, Illinois. All of this beauty set against a stunning background of blue sky and billowing clouds.  It's hard not to make a case that AP sets the standard for the industry and that they are the exemplar for all others.

What an awesome scope!

• kolsen and donadani like this

#58 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:26 PM

The mechanical build is maybe the most important thing for me next to a really great opic what makes a scope special... No other scope around with tapered and stepped tube and CNC made baffles - I often tend to prefere the designs that are a bit dated wink.gif I like collimatable lenscells, painted tube rings, removable dewcaps and unique focussers... for example. smile.gif

Edited by donadani, 21 May 2020 - 11:20 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, M44, R Botero and 6 others like this

#59 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

Here's an old outdated family picture of mine, everything is AP except for the Zeiss MiniQuick on the far left. The 130 EDF has since moved on to another home and a new (recent) Stowaway has taken its place, so when the weather, pollen, and my schedule all cooperate I will take a more up to date shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• Scopes4.jpg

Edited by Paul G, 22 May 2020 - 05:15 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, peleuba, Doug D. and 35 others like this

#60 fate187

fate187

Messenger

• Loc: Saxony, Germany

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:05 AM

****!

The 175 looks quite small...

• Paul G and gjanke like this

#61 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:01 AM

Its very much like a museum collection. Simply marvelous!  Second from the left, is that an original Stowaway? Does the traveler see much action?

I thought the new stowaway was petite in size so I am surprised how compact the traveler is when set against the stowaway.

#62 bobhen

bobhen

Skylab

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:24 AM

Here's an old outdated family picture of mine, everything is AP except for the Zeiss MiniQuick on the far left. The 130 EDF has since moved on to another home and a new (recent) Stowaway has taken its place, so when the weather, pollen, and my schedule all cooperate I will take a more up to date shot.

Fantastic collection.

Now I’m going to put you on the spot. If you could keep only one, which one would it be?

Bob

• turtle86 and gjanke like this

#63 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:09 PM

Its very much like a museum collection. Simply marvelous!  Second from the left, is that an original Stowaway? Does the traveler see much action?

I thought the new stowaway was petite in size so I am surprised how compact the traveler is when set against the stowaway.

The new Stowaway is almost exactly the same length of the Traveler, maybe actually a smidge longer (longer focal length), but it's more svelte and weighs a few pounds less.  The new Stowaway is thus a little more convenient to travel with, unless you use the Pelican case that comes with it; the extra weight of the case, compared with the Tenba that used to come with the Traveler, makes the package just as heavy.  Don't get me wrong: the Pelican is very nice--a perfect fit for the Stowaway, which it protects very well.  But I prefer the Tenba.  I bought an extra years ago, when they were till available, and now use it with the Stowaway.

• gjanke and gozer like this

#64 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:57 PM

ichdien,

So to Bob's question. If you had to keep only one (bahaha) which one would you keep?

- Gerald

#65 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:28 PM

Nobody asked, but I would keep the 10” Mak - plus I would say the f/5 Stowaway was the finder for the Mak. YMMV - but I doubt it -lol!

#66 ichdien

ichdien

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:59 PM

ichdien,

So to Bob's question. If you had to keep only one (bahaha) which one would you keep?

- Gerald

That's tough!  I've owned the Traveler for 25 years and it's a trusted old friend, so I think I'd unload it only if I needed the $$ and had already sold off large volumes of blood and a few of my less important internal organs.  To be honest, I got on the Stowaway list only because life has decreed that I must spend long periods of time in two locations very, very far apart, and I wanted a portable scope in both places.  Of course, I could have just gone back and forth with the Traveler--at least I could have in the days before the coronavirus--but I'm fortunate enough to be able to keep the two, which makes for less hassle in airports etc.  So if push came to shove, which would I keep?  I've never done a head to head comparison, but my gut is that the Stowaway doesn't give up much to the Traveler in terms of observing (I'm visual only and have no gut feeling whatsoever when it comes to photography), and it's a little more manageable--which is important considering that, let's just say, I can no longer describe myself as young.  That being said, I suspect my heart would veto my head and I'd hold to my old buddy, Mr. T.  Besides, he's aged better than I have.

• Paul Morow, jeremiah2229, gjanke and 1 other like this

#67 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

It is. The Traveler sees a lot of action, similar focal length as the long Stowaways with greater aperture, still small and light enough to go on a portable mount. It was my first refractor, back in the 90's, followed by the 155.

Fantastic collection.

Now I’m going to put you on the spot. If you could keep only one, which one would it be?

Bob

Ooo, tough question, not sure. I'd be happy with any of them as a single scope.

I'm a lunar/planetary observer so the obvious answer is the 10" Mak, a unique scope that really screams on the planets. The fast Stowaway is also unique, nothing else available that does what it does. I've posted here on CN that the 130 is the perfect balance of aperture and portability, but the 155 isn't that much heavier and is my most used scope, has really nice optics. The Traveler is a personal favorite as a small portable scope.

The first I'd sell would be the 175, it's a bit heavy for me given my age and back problems, and the Mak beats it on planetary while the 155 still gives me the wide field views.

Edited by Paul G, 27 May 2020 - 02:53 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, doctordub, turtle86 and 5 others like this

#68 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

Here's an old outdated family picture of mine,

I just went into A-Fib.

• Paul G, eros312 and gjanke like this

#69 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 29 May 2020 - 03:26 PM

Ok, now I need some help, this is regarding the dew shield for my 155EDT f/9, circa 1993.

Here is the story, I always had problems sliding the dew shield on this scope, it was always too tight, but I managed to struggle and get it to fit the scope, and it was equally difficult to get it removed.

Gradually the black felt liner deteriorated to a point where under tension large air bubbles developed as you can see in the attached picture.

Finally I decided to contact Astro-Physics and see if they could fix the problem, they re-applied fresh new felt liner and sent the dew shield back to me, well much to my surprise the dew shield would absolutely not slide over the scope, AP asked me to send it back in order to re-apply a thinner liner, I did, and the new liner is also not working.

Sooooo what to do next? Here is where I need your suggestions. I am thinking of removing the new felt liner, clean up the adhesive backing and just spray paint the inside of the dew shield and hope for the best.

Has this or something similar happened to anyone reading this?

Vahe

Attached Thumbnails

• Dew155-1.jpg

#70 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

Ok, now I need some help, this is regarding the dew shield for my 155EDT f/9, circa 1993.

Here is the story, I always had problems sliding the dew shield on this scope, it was always too tight, but I managed to struggle and get it to fit the scope, and it was equally difficult to get it removed.

Gradually the black felt liner deteriorated to a point where under tension large air bubbles developed as you can see in the attached picture.

Finally I decided to contact Astro-Physics and see if they could fix the problem, they re-applied fresh new felt liner and sent the dew shield back to me, well much to my surprise the dew shield would absolutely not slide over the scope, AP asked me to send it back in order to re-apply a thinner liner, I did, and the new liner is also not working.

Sooooo what to do next? Here is where I need your suggestions. I am thinking of removing the new felt liner, clean up the adhesive backing and just spray paint the inside of the dew shield and hope for the best.

Has this or something similar happened to anyone reading this?

Vahe

What did AP say about the failure of the thinner material?

#71 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 04:44 PM

What did AP say about the failure of the thinner material?

I did not go back to AP after their second attempt, they did a real fine job but the problem may very well be in the diameter of dew shield which I believe is just a bit too tight for this scope, another reason for not going back was that the application of felt liner is a very expensive and labor intensive job, I am hoping that painting the dew shield would hopefully solve the problem.

Vahe

• gjanke likes this

#72 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vendor - Space Art

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

How would painting it help?

• gjanke likes this

#73 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:42 PM

How would painting it help?

Painting in my case would mean removing the felt liner which has a certain thickness, the removal of felt liner would increase the inside diameter of dew shield by an amount equal to two layers of felt thickness which I am hoping that will then allow the dew shield to slide on the scope easily. I am assuming that spay paint that replaces the felt does not add much to the inside diameter of the dew shield.

Vahe

• gjanke likes this

#74 Dan5209

Dan5209

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

How about just removing the felt that is inside the ring that goes over the lens collar. The rest of the felt is inside the wider area of the dew cap. The part that goes over the lens collar isn’t exposed to stray light anyway and is covered when on the telescope. 

• Cliff C and gjanke like this

#75 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

What a fun thread, and always good to see Paul's scopes.

For me it is more what to get next than what to get rid of. I don't actually have the time or money, so it is more of a pipe dream.

What I have now is a 155EDF f/7 pebble finish, a 130EDFGT, and a new 92F665.

The 130GT got me started; I have one of the first ones made. That led me to buy the 155 used. And then I got one of the very first new 92s, which replaced my TMB.

I think the AP155EDF is the best refractor ever made for visual. I can still lift it over my head, it doesn't feel much bigger than the 130, but it shows more. Its star test seems perfect. Its coatings look perfect. I love the 4" FT-assisted focuser. It's an amazing scope.

I keep the 130 because I got it new and cannot bear to part with it. And when the 155 becomes too big for me, I will maybe get a few more years out of the 130. But it would be the first to go if I needed the money.

My modified TMB 92L was only 4 lbs, so it was silly to trade up to the 6 lbs Stowaway. But when I was looking at planets for quick views, it just drove me crazy that I could tell it wasn't functioning at a full 92mm, mainly because of the fast focal ratio. The AP delivers a perfect 92mm view. Less portable though.

I have always wanted a Traveler, and I should really swap the 130 for one. But now that I have the 92, it seems redundant. The 92 at least fits in a TV85 case, counting as a personal item on planes, and it has a better focuser.

I considered the 2006 180EDF f/7 when it came up for sale, but it cost more than a new car. I was hoping it would be just like my 155 but one increment larger. It's probably the best 7" visual scope ever made, but still glad I don't have to pay for, lift, and store it.

Yet I have been on the lookout for a 178 f/9 just for the heck of it (so much for rational consistency). My AP1100 would hold it.

If I inherited a zillion dollars, then sure an f/5 Stowaway would be next. Actually, no, a 10" Mak, but wrong forum.

Not sure there are any others I would get, since I have 92, 130, 155 covered. Aside from cost and unavailability, 8" requires an observatory. I am visual, so I would prefer the 180 or 155 over the 175 (heavier than I need it to be). The f/8 or f/8.35 130 would be the length of my 155 but show less, and besides I don't detect any breakdown in the image of my f/6.3 130 (even though I would prefer f/7).

George

• Scott99, R Botero, Paul Morow and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics