•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APitis

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#151 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 11 November 2020 - 04:17 PM

attachicon.gifEDFS.jpg

attachicon.gif5.jpg

- tailored tube

- baffles made from the full tube

- 130mm show more then 120mm

- wanted to sell the tsa but, no! can not either... 

- ok not the GT but looks better laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

+1. The EDF looks better than the GT.

• ryderc1, donadani and Marcus Roman like this

#152 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 11 November 2020 - 07:02 PM

may be tilted to AP due to a better focuser. Otherwise I don’t see much of a difference externally.

And being air spaced I guess it takes longer to cool down. But I don’t understand the worry as I set up and then go inside and do stuff while the cool down happens. I think that also depends on where you live how long that cool down will be. In AZ I don’t notice much of a difference.

My single biggest complaint about any TAK I’ve had is the focuser. They’ve all been at best decent and at worst horrible. Where as every AP I’ve had has had a feather touch focuser. I’ve changed out both my TSA102 and TSA 120 to the FTF3035 and find the build feels very comparable. 

I able wasn’t to compare the APGT to the 120 but against the 102 the Tak cooled super quick and the AP required much more time to reach ambient temperature.  However on the likes of M57 and other DSOs the AP was a better performer for visual work.  

I always like mixing up it when we get into the “what’s the best” but you really can’t  go wrong with either brand. I have moved to Tak for the 120 to 130 mm size and I just can’t say enough about the AP stowaway at the 100 mm and below. I’ve got a TV76 but that is going to be my 2024 total solar eclipse scope.

Edited by gjanke, 11 November 2020 - 08:40 PM.

• RAKing, Tyson M and 25585 like this

#153 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:23 AM

well the GT don´t looks bad to be honest wink.gif

This was my old one (sold now) - no other 130 is that compact and ready for a travel - especially because you can split it into three pieces... it once came with me on a flight trip in the hand luggage - try this with a TOA laugh.gif

It was bought by a guy who traveled with it to the US again - Grand Canyon - when I remember correct. Well that is for what it was made for smile.gif

Edited by donadani, 12 November 2020 - 12:48 AM.

• Paul G, Paul Morow, Tyson M and 3 others like this

#154 donadani

donadani

Apollo

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:25 AM

just to show how compact...

...and these coatings... - nice! :)

• Paul G, eros312, Tyson M and 1 other like this

#155 Paul G

Paul G

Cosmos

• Loc: Freedonia

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:29 AM

My single biggest complaint about any TAK I’ve had is the focuser. They’ve all been at best decent and at worst horrible. Where as every AP I’ve had has had a feather touch focuser. I’ve changed out both my TSA102 and TSA 120 to the FTF3035 and find the build feels very comparable. 

I able wasn’t to compare the APGT to the 120 but against the 102 the Tak cooled super quick and the AP required much more time to reach ambient temperature.  However on the likes of M57 and other DSOs the AP was a better performer for visual work.  

I always like mixing up it when we get into the “what’s the best” but you really can’t  go wrong with either brand. I have moved to Tak for the 120 to 130 mm size and I just can’t say enough about the AP stowaway at the 100 mm and below. I’ve got a TV76 but that is going to be my 2024 total solar eclipse scope.

It is only the most recent AP scopes that have a Feathertouch focuser. The EDF/S, original fast and slow Stowaways, Travelers, etc., had superb AP designed and built focusers with a little Feathertouch dual speed pinion between the focus knobs. Extremely well built, one could change or replace the focuser on an EDF in under 60 seconds with no chance of misalignment. Like everything else they build, functionally elegant.

• R Botero, Tyson M, donadani and 1 other like this

#156 donadani

donadani

Apollo

Posted 12 November 2020 - 12:58 AM

...and the one to rule them all...

EDT 8.35 - my most beloved 5inch scope - will never part with it by choice smile.gif

Combines a lot of the great features like tailored tube from the EDFS, FT-focuser optional, great look and ads a looooong focal length to it that most visual guys (like me!) prefere.

Edited by donadani, 12 November 2020 - 01:02 AM.

• Paul G, plyscope, Jeff B and 10 others like this

#157 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 12 November 2020 - 02:37 AM

+1. The EDF looks better than the GT.

I personally think the GT looks better, because of its slimmer profile (also could be biased).  But its splitting hairs, they both are works of art.

• Paul G and gjanke like this

#158 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 12 November 2020 - 03:00 AM

AP130GT.jpg

11/10/2020- first light! (approx 2 hours observing)

-19C, Yellow zone dark site, no moon, 2/5 seeing, transparency was about 4/5 when I arrived, which transitioned into 3/5... down to 2/5 in areas lower on the horizon.

AP130GT, HD tripod, DM6

This is my first light with the scope, and the first time this scope has ever seen starlite, as the original owner never took it out of its box when acquired mid 2014 due to life events.

It was bone-chillingly cold today but I was chomping at the bit to do some observing, and it coincided with my days off.

I first pointed my scope at M45 the Pleiades. Reflection nebulosity visible. A stunning view. Swept Hyades with the 30UFF, couldn't fit it all but looking great.

I had a look at the Eastern Veil with a Lumicon OIII, but conditions were not prime for it. Not bad, knot structure hard to discern.

I had a look at Mars. Faint continent details present, but conditions not cooperating really, okay with the 12.5 Noblex, and 6.5mm morpheus had its moments with the Lumicon #29 dark red filter.

I had a look to see if I could bag M74 galaxy. It was on the cusp of visibility.

I warmed up myself in my vehicle, lost my night vision by the bright interior lights.

I went straight out to see if I could bag a few more targets. Went up to Mirach. Found Mirach's Ghost galaxy for the first time for this target, and easily discernable with the 12.5 Noblex... and second best with the 6.5 morpheus. It was the best view of the night! Love the bright yellow color of Mirach and the galaxy in the upper left of the eyepiece.

Also checked out M1, barely visible. Had a gander at the Auriga clusters. Looked best with the 30UFF for perspective star fields and tiny little pinprick clusters, and for close up the 17.5mm Morpheus really made them pop.

Lower down I tried Orion, but transparency was bad here, so I wrapped it up.

I was freezing all over my body but the set up I have is just great.

It appears I have a trifecta of premium USA gear and it just works. Loving this scope/mount/tripod combo!

APitis indeed...

Edited by Tyson M, 12 November 2020 - 12:48 PM.

• Paul G, Scott in NC, turtle86 and 15 others like this

#159 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 12 November 2020 - 07:21 AM

Beautiful scope, Tyson!  Glad to hear that you’re enjoying its stunning optics.

• Tyson M likes this

#160 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:22 AM

The two that I have left.

A 178 F9 pre-ED Starfire and a pre-ED 127 F8 Starfire.

Both are optically and mechanically excellent.

Jeff

A 127mm is a model I bought once but swapped for a TV Genesis, as the AP was too heavy for a TV Panoramic mount.

This is tempting  https://www.astrobuy...php?view=167429

• gjanke and Marcus Roman like this

#161 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:30 PM

A 127mm is a model I bought once but swapped for a TV Genesis, as the AP was too heavy for a TV Panoramic mount.

This is tempting  https://www.astrobuy...php?view=167429

This is so off topic but I have never been to Astrobuy so thank you for that. It brought back memories of  the old astronomy mall website.

Back on topic. I have the panoramic for my TeleVue 76. I can't even imagine how a almost 5" scope would even fit. My Gibraltar can handle the TSA102 and 120 but with the Televue telepod I cant even come close to zenith viewing. 

• 25585 likes this

#162 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone used the Astro-Physics 2.7" Photo-Visual Telecompressor 0.75X on their GT/GTX or 130 EDF f6? 

I am debating getting it for visual use to try out with my eyepieces.

• fmasa likes this

#163 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:21 AM

Not on a GT/GTX but on my Traveler.

All EP's comes in focus (TV Radian's, Meade SP4K Plossls and Pentax XW/XL's).

So i use it for visual application but primary i use the telecompressor for astrophotography with Nikon D5500Dlsr. The stars in the corners are getting better when using it.

In short about the telecompressor: highly recomended for visual and astrophotography! 

Also a nice thing: you can leave it on the telescope, it makes the lenght of the telescope tube physical not any longer then just a couple of cm's.   

• Tyson M likes this

#164 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

Not on a GT/GTX but on my Traveler.

All EP's comes in focus (TV Radian's, Meade SP4K Plossls and Pentax XW/XL's).

So i use it for visual application but primary i use the telecompressor for astrophotography with Nikon D5500Dlsr. The stars in the corners are getting better when using it.

In short about the telecompressor: highly recomended for visual and astrophotography! 

Also a nice thing: you can leave it on the telescope, it makes the lenght of the telescope tube physical not any longer then just a couple of cm's.   

Thanks for weighing in, I might try one to use primarily with a 30UFF, 24UFF for a wider FOV when desired.

#165 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

According to AP website so I gave up the idea.

While it is fun to use the telecompressor in this manner, your best wide field results will be obtained with a high-quality eyepiece rather than a telecompressor/eyepiece combination.

• RAKing, Paul Morow and Tyson M like this

#166 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:25 PM

According to AP website so I gave up the idea.

While it is fun to use the telecompressor in this manner, your best wide field results will be obtained with a high-quality eyepiece rather than a telecompressor/eyepiece combination.

Thanks, not sure how I missed reading that on their site.

#167 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:43 AM

...but using the telecompressor visual, results not in bad views... on the contrary.

A-P less best = (still) good .... based on my experience.

• Paul G likes this

#168 Cosmo2

Cosmo2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:25 AM

Will the AP140, AP160 ever go back into production ???

#169 3 i Guy

3 i Guy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:56 AM

Attached Thumbnails

• 29D4858F-88C2-4BB6-9B7E-8061EEA9C098.jpeg

• Paul Hyndman, RAKing, eros312 and 2 others like this

#170 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:05 PM

I don't know about the 160, but the 140 will not be coming back.

I asked Roland about it at NEAF ten years ago and he just shook his head.  The 140 was basically the same size and weight as the 155 and Roland was making and selling the 130GT as fast as he could.  Yuri had the TEC 140 going, so why would Roland go head-to-head with a friend?

Roland actually told me to buy a TEC 140 while I was waiting for the A-P 130 - and that is what I did. 

Cheers,

Ron

• Paul Morow and gjanke like this

#171 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:06 PM

If you like the 140, I would recommend a used 155. They are a bargain for an AP refractor at current prices. Since the 140 is basically the 155 lens design cut down to 140 and sitting in the 155 tube, you can always mask the 155 to 140 if that is the goal. But I suspect you would use it at 155.

George

#172 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:41 PM

If I recall the used 155mm is going for about 11k give or take a thousand or two. I'd call that a lot of things but a bargain isn't one of them. Maybe more like an heirloom 

• RAKing, Tyson M and 25585 like this

#173 donadani

donadani

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2020 - 12:37 AM

If you like the 140, I would recommend a used 155. They are a bargain for an AP refractor at current prices. Since the 140 is basically the 155 lens design cut down to 140 and sitting in the 155 tube, you can always mask the 155 to 140 if that is the goal. But I suspect you would use it at 155.

George

The 140 sits in the 160 tube (not the 155) - the 155EDFS with rings and plate is about 13.5kg and one of the lightest and most compact 6" scopes I know and it has no sliding system.

I just don´t understand why AP could´t do a better sliding system for the 140/160 ??? Is it the same with the 160 - that it leaves scratches in the paintjob of the dewcap? or was it maybe only the one 140 I saw and all the other 140s and 160s don´t have that problem? (it´s definitely not "AP-like"!)

Edited by donadani, 21 November 2020 - 12:39 AM.

#174 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:26 AM

20201120_190341.jpg

11/20/2020- 3.5 hour session  19:00 to 22:30 but with multiple breaks to warm up inside. I had the scope out at 18:30 to cooldown for 30 min prior.  I noticed what appeared to be occasional heat plumes on the brightest stars of clusters approx 45mins (not obtrusive though), after which calmed down virtually unnoticeable 1 hour after.

Backyard red/white border zone for light pollution, minus 12C.  

AP130GT, various eyepiece, Losmandy HD tripod and DM6 (no encoder use).

My first day off at home, I noticed the moon and clear skies and checked clear sky chart.  It said I had variable conditions with basically a full white out at 23:00.

I decided to check some targets out despite the moments of below average transparency.  Seeing was supposed to be average as well.

I started out trying to nab the moon through the small window of opportunity between my neighbors tree and my neighbors garage.

There was just too much thin cloud in the area to provide any great views, but I got a tantalising moment of a decent full disk view with the diascope zoom.

20201120_191022.jpg

I decided to change it up and look higher up, at targets that don't get too affected by light pollution, and the variable transparency.

I observed M45, looking great but no reflection nebulosity visible.

I checked out Almach, beautiful view best split with the 6.5mm morpheus. 

I starhopped with the 30UFF to NGC752. I studied this cluster, found a nice little triangle of stars in the center orange/yellow colors.

I observed 56 Andromedae on the edge of this cluster, trying to split it using way too high power before realizing it was a bright, wide pair.

My sky conditions clouded over and I took a break inside.  I left everything set up more in desperation that conditions were going to improve, as clear skies are not that common this time of year.

I came back out and decided to hit up more doubles.

I decided to check out some double star observing lists I had on SS6 pro.

I starhopped from Mars to find Gamma Arietis (Mesarthim) in Aries.  I haven't ever spent any time in Aries, so this was a treat tonight.

After having trouble finding it without a finderscope, I grabbed my Canon 10x42L binoculars and realized I was way off and on too faint of stars. 

After a correction, finding the bright trio of magnitude 2-4 stars, I centered the GT over Sheratan and Mesarthim.

Wow what a sight.  A splendid triple system, easily split with even my 30UFF. I enjoyed the view with the Noblex and 6.5 morpheus.  I tried the 3.5 delos (234x) but conditions were not supporting it.

Dual blazing white stars close together, with a fainter outlier to the East (reversed in actual viewing as I am using a diagonal). Highly recommended!

Using the Cambridge double star atlas via SS6pro, I found another double in Aries...this one Lambda Ariestis!

Yellow white primary and faint blue secondary.  

I noticed the seeing getting better, and transparency was okay, so I had a long look at Mars.

20201120_220812.jpg

Seeing didnt support the 3.5 Delos, but the 6.5 morpheus and highest setting of the diascope zoom (virtually identical views and exit pupil/fov) looked amazing. 

I could clearly see dark continent details bisecting the planet.  Syrtis Major was at the top, Mare Tyrrhenum in the middle and Mare Cimmerium on the bottom edge.

I tried the Lumicon dark red filter and settled on the diascope zoom, as the convenience of changing magnifications was helpful when the seeing took a dive again.  Actually, while looking naked eye, it was thin transparency issues rearing its ugly head again. 

With frost on my gear, and my extremities getting cold and with the sky conditions deteriorating for the night, I decided to pack up.

Great night for a few double stars, not a bad night for Mars although I have had slightly better conditions this season viewing Mars in the previously owned TOA130.

Splitting hairs, I also find the TOA easier to find and nail exact focus with the variable conditions.  Longer focal length refractors are a treat for that, but the feathertouch on the AP made finding exact focus easy.

Regardless, another amazing session with the AP130GT despite the conditions, and still no regrets at all with the change, as my cooldown time appears to be about half.  

I will take an extra hour of quality observing, gladly.

Again, these opinions are based on my conditions and subjective experiences.

Thanks for reading and clear skies!

Edited by Tyson M, 21 November 2020 - 12:28 PM.

• Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC, RAKing and 11 others like this

#175 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:30 PM

A new stowaway is up on AM for $6200. it includes a few items which totals around 1k new. So that and the original price of the items is about $4.6K. Thats a $1600 mark up. If you devalue the items.... the price increase is all for the scope. Which roughly is around $1800.

Roland is selling them cheap all things considered. 

Just wow.

• Paul G likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics