•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

APitis

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#176 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Viking 1

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:47 PM

I won’t pay so much for a stowaway now. It’s not rare any more and I sold mine to a friend at the original price.

• Paul Hyndman and gjanke like this

#177 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:01 PM

I won’t pay so much for a stowaway now. It’s not rare any more and I sold mine to a friend at the original price.

Rare or not its a fantastic scope. I count myself lucky to have one and I paid a marked up price.  

I wish I had been your friend. cool.gif We can still be friends though but that was a very honorable thing for you to do for them! waytogo.gif

That's a rarity in this day and age.

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman and Howard Gao like this

#178 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:39 PM

A new stowaway is up on AM for $6200. it includes a few items which totals around 1k new. So that and the original price of the items is about $4.6K. Thats a $1600 mark up. If you devalue the items.... the price increase is all for the scope. Which roughly is around $1800.

Roland is selling them cheap all things considered. 

Just wow.

Now sold lol....

• gjanke likes this

#179 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 22 November 2020 - 04:24 AM

Last year a Traveller was selling on UK AB&S for £5000. Seller was in Spain I think.

• gjanke likes this

#180 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

I’m selling my Stowaway to a fellow KC Astro club member for $3600, what I paid for it.  I’m not greedy and glad I don’t have to ship it as that would add another $150 or so with the insurance.

Bill

• Paul Hyndman, Scott in NC, RAKing and 4 others like this

#181 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:26 PM

You’re an honorable man, Bill.  That’s the right way to sell to a friend, and I’d do the same.

• gjanke likes this

#182 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

If I recall the used 155mm is going for about 11k give or take a thousand or two. I'd call that a lot of things but a bargain isn't one of them. Maybe more like an heirloom 

The current new competitors are the TOA and the TEC, and used would be the AP160. The TOA150 is about $13,000, the TEC160 is $12,500, and the AP160 is around $16,000 used.

The AP155s that have sold recently seem to be $9200 to $10500. One for $12K did not sell. Another for $12K included a mount and tripod.

For visual, I prefer the AP155 over the TOA150 or the AP160 due to ease of set up and quick cool down. Not a lot of people want to pay over $10K for a premium 6" apo, but if you are one of them, I believe that the AP155 is a bargain in its class for visual. For imaging, I would get one of the newer scopes.

Now you can get an ES152ED for $4K, and I bet it would serve you well. But the name of this thread is APitis, which implies a desire for a high-end scope.

On the other hand, you may be right that it is still overpriced. The TOA, TEC, and AP160 are made for imaging, And for visual, can you really see much difference from the ES? Perhaps not. It is SUCH a beautiful scope, but that kind of borders on heirloom, as you say. I guess the market has answered and set the price at around $10K.

George

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman and gjanke like this

#183 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:27 AM

The AP155s that have sold recently seem to be $9200 to $10500. One for $12K did not sell. Another for $12K included a mount and tripod.

For visual, I prefer the AP155 over the TOA150 or the AP160 due to ease of set up and quick cool down. Not a lot of people want to pay over $10K for a premium 6" apo, but if you are one of them, I believe that the AP155 is a bargain in its class for visual. For imaging, I would get one of the newer scopes.

A recent ad on CN Classified #220647 offered a 1992 AP155 f/9 EDT in like new condition, OTA only, price $14.900, it sold in one day.

Vahe

• gjanke likes this

#184 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:59 PM

You’re an honorable man, Bill.  That’s the right way to sell to a friend, and I’d do the same.

Thanks, Scott.  However my astro club friend now doesn't want to buy it, so might have to post a sale ad and ask a bit more to cover shipping and insurance so I don't lose money with the sale.

Bill

• gjanke likes this

#185 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

Thanks, Scott.  However my astro club friend now doesn't want to buy it, so might have to post a sale ad and ask a bit more to cover shipping and insurance so I don't lose money with the sale.

Bill

If you listed it for $3600 US plus $150 shipping x 1.03 for paypal fees you're looking at $3900.  Put it out for $4000 just for good measure on shipping/insurance and watch it get snapped up in seconds.

Edit: that is assuming you continue to only ship to US buyers, which I think you do if I recall correctly.  

Edited by Tyson M, 23 November 2020 - 05:16 PM.

• gjanke likes this

#186 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:08 PM

If you listed it for $3600 US plus $150 shipping x 1.03 for paypal fees you're looking at $3900.  Put it out for $4000 just for good measure on shipping/insurance and watch it get snapped up in seconds.

Edit: that is assuming you continue to only ship to US buyers, which I think you do if I recall.  

Bill you sell it for whatever you want. If you want to be fair list it as an action on AM at 3600 and see where it ends. Someone else is going to profit from the scope in the long run and if its not a friend youre selling to then don't feel obligated to sell it cheaper than the market bears.

• 3 i Guy, Tyson M and 25585 like this

#187 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

Bill you sell it for whatever you want. If you want to be fair list it as an action on AM at 3600 and see where it ends. Someone else is going to profit from the scope in the long run and if its not a friend youre selling to then don't feel obligated to sell it cheaper than the market bears.

That's fair.  I've never thought about using Auctions before, but youre not wrong that someone would buy it just to flip it unfortunately.  

• gjanke and 25585 like this

#188 astrophile

astrophile

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NoVA Yellow Zone

Posted 23 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Auction it.  You have no obligation to strangers, let the market set the price.  Especially in the present atmosphere of, dare I say it, "irrational exuberance" when it comes to the valuation of certain astro gear.

• 3 i Guy, weis14, gjanke and 1 other like this

#189 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 23 November 2020 - 06:09 PM

I agree with what everyone said above.  I wouldn’t have any problem selling it to a friend for what I paid, knowing that he’d appreciate the good deal and would likely do the same thing for me if the situation were reversed.  But if you’re just listing it for sale to the masses, I wouldn’t accept a bargain basement price that will likely be snatched up by someone who will immediately flip it.  Either auction it off, or else list it with a reasonable markup (certainly at least enough to cover shipping, insurance, PayPal expenses, etc.).  And if a friend for whom you want to do a favor offers to buy it, you certainly have the option to negotiate a lower price. But otherwise, list it for whatever you think it’s worth.

• Paul G, 3 i Guy, weis14 and 3 others like this

#190 George9

George9

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

Bill

One more agree with market price for non-friends. Auction to let the market decide, or go by recent prices for a straight sale. Selling to a random buyer at a low price just encourages more flipping activity, and the person who will actually end up with the scope and actually use it will likely pay the high price anyway.

George

• Paul G, Paul Hyndman, weis14 and 2 others like this

#191 weis14

weis14

Mariner 2

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 23 November 2020 - 10:47 PM

I own a Stowaway that I got new this summer and it is a great scope.  I have no intention of selling it. 

However, the marked up used prices surprise me, especially since AP must have made at least 400 of them in the last 2 years.  I guess the market demand for a 92mm, $3600 refractor is larger than I thought.  I figured that used prices for Stowaways would drop quickly as production resumed. 

The price for that 1992 AP 155 OTA is also crazy.  Coatings and glass have come a long way in the last 30(!) years and for $14,900 you can get a brand new TEC160FL, with $2500 left over for a flattener, case, etc.  I think that the newer scope is clearly the better deal in this situation.  (Though I admit to being a bit biased due to a recent case of TECitis to go with my APitis.)

Edited by weis14, 23 November 2020 - 10:48 PM.

• Scott in NC, Tyson M and gjanke like this

#192 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted Yesterday, 04:17 AM

Auction it.  You have no obligation to strangers, let the market set the price.  Especially in the present atmosphere of, dare I say it, "irrational exuberance" when it comes to the valuation of certain astro gear.

But don't forget to set your reserve price!

• gjanke likes this

#193 Disciplus55

Disciplus55

Viking 1

• Loc: East of France

Posted Yesterday, 08:36 AM

Feel lucky to pay 4000 USD in the US, by the time the little Stowaways reach Europe, there is some additional 20% VAT and dealer's margins, it brings it easily to 5000 USD... :-(

• gjanke likes this

#194 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 AM

However, the marked up used prices surprise me, especially since AP must have made at least 400 of them in the last 2 years.  I guess the market demand for a 92mm, $3600 refractor is larger than I thought.  I figured that used prices for Stowaways would drop quickly as production resumed. 

The price for that 1992 AP 155 OTA is also crazy.  Coatings and glass have come a long way in the last 30(!) years and for $14,900 you can get a brand new TEC160FL, with $2500 left over for a flattener, case, etc.  I think that the newer scope is clearly the better deal in this situation.  (Though I admit to being a bit biased due to a recent case of TECitis to go with my APitis.)

I would venture to guess that the resale value of recent Stowaway is in a flux but since there are so many of them they will settle in a more stable and reasonable amounts sooner rather than later, just like the current resale prices of AP300mm refractors, yes they are AP but there is just way too many of them.

As for the recent sale of 1992 AP155EDT F/9, it may seem crazy, but AP produced very few of them, and believe it or not since it is F/9 and generally considered “highly undesirable” compared to more usual F/7’s, there are a few folks who prefer longer F ratios and are willing to pay for it, I have one of those and consider it one of the finest planetary refractors in 6” class made by anyone.

Vahe

• gjanke likes this

#195 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

Posted Yesterday, 11:47 AM

I’ve never auctioned any of my astro gear before but for this higher end scope, I might consider it.  I have seen the newer Stowaways sell for anywhere from $4K to $6K the past few months.  I might hold onto it until after New Years Day to avoid shipping it during the Christmas rush.  Then I can use it a few more times.

Bill

• George9, Scott in NC, RAKing and 2 others like this

#196 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted Yesterday, 01:23 PM

As for the recent sale of 1992 AP155EDT F/9, it may seem crazy, but AP produced very few of them, and believe it or not since it is F/9 and generally considered “highly undesirable” compared to more usual F/7’s, there are a few folks who prefer longer F ratios and are willing to pay for it, I have one of those and consider it one of the finest planetary refractors in 6” class made by anyone.

From what I've seen the AP coatings from early 90's are pretty good - not quite the match of today's best but most of the way there (Compared to the simple blue Mag-FL they were using farther back in the 80's).  I would expect very little difference on an oil-spaced lens with only 2 coated surfaces.

As for the glass there is no guarantee that anything today is better.  From what I've read the early EDT's used mating elements that worked extremely well with FPL52 for outstanding color correction.   This is why you hear some people claim that the early f/9 6-inch EDT and the f/8.35 130 EDT are some of the best apo in their size out there.  

That said, it's always good to remember the asking price doesn't necessarily equate to the final purchase price of an item, it could just be the starting point for some "dickering" or lower offers.  

Edited by Scott99, Yesterday, 01:24 PM.

• Paul G and gjanke like this

#197 gjanke

gjanke

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Then I can use it a few more times.

Bill

Bill,

Be careful its a fantastic scope and 92mm of shear joy.

Scott in NC is gonna laugh when he reads this but I think it's a keeper and I'm keeping mine. You too might find yourself wanting to keep it.

And there's nothing wrong with that either. 

Gerald

• Scott in NC and RAKing like this

#198 vahe

vahe

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

As for the glass there is no guarantee that anything today is better.  From what I've read the early EDT's used mating elements that worked extremely well with FPL52 for outstanding color correction.   This is why you hear some people claim that the early f/9 6-inch EDT and the f/8.35 130 EDT are some of the best apo in their size out there.  

Check our Roland's post # 53980 on ap-ug.groups.io.

Vahe

• R Botero likes this

#199 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted Today, 12:35 AM

The 130EDT 8.35 was one of the last EDT´s and has FPL53 for the ED element as far as I know.

But I had an early EDT with FPL52 too (now sold) and reg. color correction there was not much a difference. The coatings on the 8.35 are a bit improved but not by much either. 

The early EDT´s are really good but if you have the choice the answere is clear of course.

d22.jpg

cs

Chris

Edited by donadani, Today, 12:43 AM.

• gjanke likes this

#200 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Aurora

Posted Today, 11:51 AM

Bill,

Be careful its a fantastic scope and 92mm of shear joy.

Scott in NC is gonna laugh when he reads this but I think it's a keeper and I'm keeping mine. You too might find yourself wanting to keep it.

And there's nothing wrong with that either. 

Gerald

I just don’t like using the 2” AP diagonal when I only use 1.25” eyepieces with it.  And the focuser is a little large/heavy to me.  But the optics are very sharp.  I have a lot of money tied up in it and would like to get a 10” Meade ACF f/10 OTA next year so selling it would pay for that and have some $$ leftover.  

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics