•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX125 Vixen Rail Add-on

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

I am getting ready to defork my ETX125 and plan to replace the flip mirror with a permanent Wegat back. In order to make for an easy mount, I am considering drilling the OTA to install a Vixen rail; perhaps even a small one on top for the spotting scope. There are no aftermarket rings that fit the ETX correctly, besides, I think they look crappy bulky. wink.gif

Has anybody done this that cares to share information? I have no issues removing the primary mirror and corrector plate to get to the empty tube.

Can I assume that the protruding bolts and nuts will not cause any interference with the optics (yes, I will blacken them)? I would not imagine that the OTA tube has sufficient wall thickness to be tapped.

Any experience and war stories would be appreciated.

Edited by KTAZ, 03 May 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#2 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:31 PM

I dont think they look crappy. I think they look sharp. As for the tubes they are fairly thick but I dont know if a number of threaded screws would hold the weight.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1543.JPG
  • DSCN1538 (640x480).jpg

#3 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

Nice to see another ETX owner saving this fine little scope for better use!

I’m curious what you are using for your finder scope.

Edited by KTAZ, 03 May 2020 - 10:10 AM.

#4 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

Thats a 6x30 ra orion. It fits in the stock holder and I had just enough adjustment on both of them.

#5 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

Search for "Meade ETX 125" in the Thingiverse.

#6 RichA

RichA

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

I am getting ready to defork my ETX125 and plan to replace the flip mirror with a permanent Wegat back. In order to make for an easy mount, I am considering drilling the OTA to install a Vixen rail; perhaps even a small one on top for the spotting scope. There are no aftermarket rings that fit the ETX correctly, besides, I think they look crappy bulky. wink.gif

Has anybody done this that cares to share information? I have no issues removing the primary mirror and corrector plate to get to the empty tube.

Can I assume that the protruding bolts and nuts will not cause any interference with the optics (yes, I will blacken them)? I would not imagine that the OTA tube has sufficient wall thickness to be tapped.

Any experience and war stories would be appreciated.

It's not worth marring the OTA over getting rings.  Vixen rails can't rotate like rings either, if needed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics